10 yr old special needs child shot himself with a gun secured in a "holster" ?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

10 yr old special needs child shot himself with a gun secured in a "holster" ?

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/acciden ... 6ZE6FRY4A/

What kind of holster actually "secures" a handgun from someone who is holding the holster and has the time to figure out how to
get the gun out?

Based on this story, even if the gun had been in a locked metal box, if it used a key and the key was with the car key (for convenience) the same result would've happened.
Shultz told News Center 7 that a 10-year-old boy got into a locked car and found a gun that was properly secured away.

Neighbors told News Center 7′s Malik Patterson that they are heartbroken over what happened.

“Very hard to fathom. Especially a child. You know, innocence,” neighbor Tina Kraft said.

Kraft has lived on Bayberry Drive for 45 years, and she said she has never seen anything like this.

“I was then fixing dinner and my husband said, ‘Did you hear that? That sounded like a gunshot,’ and I said what?” Kraft said.

Shultz said the boy came to the residence on Bayberry Drive to visit a relative with at least one of his parents.

He said no one saw the child grab the keys to a car parked outside.

The boy then walked outside, unlocked the car door, and found a gun that was secured in a holster.

Schultz said the child drew the gun from the holster and accidentally shot himself in the torso.
Shultz said the child sustained serious injuries and had to be rushed into surgery, but he is expected to live thanks to the quick response from the people inside the house.

At this time, Shultz told News Center 7 the sheriff’s office believes this incident to be a “fluke tragedy,” and will not be pressing any charge