Similar Options: Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield EZ

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

PistolFormation

Similar Options: Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield EZ

Post by PistolFormation »

My wife recently took a class and had the opportunity to try out the Shield EZ. She liked it much better than my carry pistols (EDC is Shield 9 and "going for a run" is Glock 42) mainly because it was much easier for her to rack.

We're planning a shooting date to try some additional pistols with the intent of finding a good carry pistol for her. It's been a minute since I've had my head into this...are there other models (you would recommend) that are similarly providing an "easy rack" option? I'm interested in options with and without the grip safety (It appears S&W does not offer an EZ option w/o the grip safety).

I did search the forum and found some discussion of the EZ...but, the only other similar option that popped up was the S&W Equalizer which also has the grip safety.

UPDATE: I'm also seeing the EZs are internal hammer fired...are these SA, SA/DA or DA?

TIA!
PistolFormation

Re: Similar Options: Smith & Wesson M&P9 Shield EZ

UPDATE: I'm also seeing the EZs are internal hammer fired...are these SA, SA/DA or DA?
ok, looks like these are SA based on reviews...
Delta-3

Post by Delta-3 »

Have her try the Ruger Security 380. It does everything the EZ does & much more.
Rom 13:4 For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil,
be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister,
an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

The FN Reflex is an internal hammer, like the Shield EZ, and lacks the grip safety.

The grip safety is the Achilles heel of the EZ, it's very easy to not depress fully (especially in thin arthritic hands, or XL-XXL hands). It's a shame that the target demographics of the pistol are the ones who usually don't have success with it. If the safety hinged from the top, it might be a different story.

The EZ and related models are essentially baby 1911's. I find it interesting that a pistol with essentially the same controls are marketed towards those who the 1911 is admittedly not a good option.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
PistolFormation

We shot the Shield EZ 9mm together. We also tried the Ruger Security and a Glock 43. Other than the ease of racking, the EZ model gave my wife troubles. She was limp-wristing often enough (she's a very new shooter) that the slide would not cycle completely after a shot. She shot much better/more consistent with my 'standard' Shield 9mm and the Glock. While she doesn't "like" the feel of the Shield 9's racking resistance..she can do it. She just needs to build up those muscles..I think she'll be fine with that type of gun. She didn't care for the feel of the Glock or the Ruger...the S&Ws seem to settle into her grip more naturally.

For now, we're hitting the gym and probably looking at a standard M&P Shield 9mm of some variety...
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

PistolFormation wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:43 pm For now, we're hitting the gym and probably looking at a standard M&P Shield 9mm of some variety...
I don't know what technique she is using to manipulate the slide, but if she is using the "slingshot" method, take a look at the technique in this article and see if it helps.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-r ... eak-hands/
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

JustaShooter wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:08 pm
PistolFormation wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:43 pm For now, we're hitting the gym and probably looking at a standard M&P Shield 9mm of some variety...
I don't know what technique she is using to manipulate the slide, but if she is using the "slingshot" method, take a look at the technique in this article and see if it helps.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-r ... eak-hands/
Say it louder for the people in the back - push with your dominant hand, don't pull with your weak.

Yes it makes a huge difference. No, your significant other isn't too weak or needs to hit the gym for months to do this effectively.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction