2 yr old gets moms gun out of purse and fires it inside Walmart in Ohio

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

2 yr old gets moms gun out of purse and fires it inside Walmart in Ohio

Post by M-Quigley »

PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — A 2-year-old boy reached into his mother's purse, grabbed her handgun and accidentally fired inside a Walmart in Pike County on Thursday, according to the Waverly Police Department in Pike County.

The incident happened around 11 a.m. at the Walmart store located on Emmitt Avenue.

Police said dispatchers took a 911 call reporting a gunshot inside the store. A sergeant talked with a woman who reported her Taurus 9 mm handgun was accidentally fired by her 2-year-old son after he took it from her purse.

The gunshot hit the ceiling and caused a minor injury to the child's forehead because of contact with the magazine, according to police.

The woman, who police did not identify, was taken into custody and charged with endangering children. The toddler was released to the care of a guardian and taken to urgent care.
Just an FYI for people who purse carry, if you're going to put it in the cart instead of carrying it on you, putting the purse down in the cart instead of on top next to a small child does more than prevent incidents like this. I know of at least one incident where a woman who didn't have children was distracted by one person and while her attention was diverted someone else stole the purse. Making it harder to reach might've prevented this.

Ironically the woman might've been safer open carrying on her hip instead of purse carry, but Walmart frowns on open carry. :roll:
Not going to blame Walmart however, as unlike Meijer and other places they don't ban CC, and the negligence is all on the woman. She's very lucky that it didn't turn out worse than it did, like a similar situation where a child got a gun out of a woman's purse and accidentally fired a handgun killing the mother. :( Putting a handgun close to a toddler is so stupid IMHO it's hard for me as a safe responsible gun owner to fathom sometimes. :(

There is a video interview of the owner of LEPD firearms, and thankfully not from some group like Giffords or moms demand action, who would want Walmart to ban the millions of responsible carriers simply because of this idiot.

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/local ... ff5c29c1db
Brian D.

Re: 2 yr old gets moms gun out of purse and fires it inside Walmart in Ohio

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:49 pm [PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — A 2-year-old boy reached into his mother's purse, grabbed her handgun and accidentally fired inside a Walmart in Pike County on Thursday, according to the Waverly Police Department in Pike County.

Ironically the woman might've been safer open carrying on her hip instead of purse carry, but Walmart frowns on open carry. :roll:
Not going to blame Walmart however, as unlike Meijer and other places they don't ban CC, and the negligence is all on the woman.
I think you're wrong about Meijer stores. Remember my thread about this some months back? I won't bore folks here with a long recap, but currently their stores around greater Cincytucky have signage that prohibits only OPEN carry.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:35 pm
M-Quigley wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 4:49 pm [PIKE COUNTY, Ohio — A 2-year-old boy reached into his mother's purse, grabbed her handgun and accidentally fired inside a Walmart in Pike County on Thursday, according to the Waverly Police Department in Pike County.

Not going to blame Walmart however, as unlike Meijer and other places they don't ban CC, and the negligence is all on the woman.
I think you're wrong about Meijer stores. Remember my thread about this some months back? I won't bore folks here with a long recap, but currently their stores around greater Cincytucky have signage that prohibits only OPEN carry.
Then something must've changed since the last time I was at a Meijer's earlier this year. I went to 2 of them, one in Ohio near Dayton and the one in Richmond Indiana, both had the sign with a slashed oval over a handgun sign. Noting was said about open carry versus concealed carry, even though they might've meant that, IDK. I have to travel to someplace today near one of the Meijers, I will recheck the doors to see if the sign is still there, or if there is a new sign that says open carry.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The newest signs specifically prohibit open carry. At least around here.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:31 am The newest signs specifically prohibit open carry. At least around here.
Same where I am - they changed from a sign that prohibited all carry to ones that prohibit open carry. Never saw the "gun buster" signs around here that M-Quigley mentioned though.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:55 pm
Brian D. wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:31 am The newest signs specifically prohibit open carry. At least around here.
Same where I am - they changed from a sign that prohibited all carry to ones that prohibit open carry. Never saw the "gun buster" signs around here that M-Quigley mentioned though.
Perhaps "gunbuster" is an inaccurate term. The signs I saw at both Meijer's many months ago were an oval with a handgun in the center, and said nothing about open carry, so I took that to mean "no guns" even though an acquaintance of mine asked someone at one of the Meijer's about it and was verbally told, "Oh that just for open carry." There was nothing written to say what they meant. I looked yesterday and the original decal is gone, replaced by a rectangular one, with a smaller symbol of a circled slash over a handgun, but with writing included that says "Open carry prohibited." I didn't check the Meijer across the state line but I assume it's also been changed. :)

While I think it's a fantasy to think that they are somehow safer with this policy I understand they don't want to visually offend some of their more ignorant sensitive customers, and not trying to ban concealed carry. It's a policy I can at least live with. So I stand corrected. After they put up the first sign I wasn't going to keep going back hoping they would change the sign, I'm too busy for that and have other shopping options. Anyway, now that I know, I might go back to shopping there, at least if they've got something I want to buy. I prefer to support brick and mortar stores over online even if it costs slightly more.
Last edited by M-Quigley on Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

M-Quigley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:34 am
Perhaps "gunbuster" is an inaccurate term. The signs I saw at both Meijer's many months ago were an oval with a handgun in the center, and said nothing about open carry, so I took that to mean "no guns"
My mistake, I read more into what you said than you intended. But for sure, absent any clarifying language, it was a "no guns" sign as you say - and as you mention later, has since been replaced. Like you, it doesn't make me any more likely to shop there however.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:39 am
M-Quigley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:34 am

Perhaps "gunbuster" is an inaccurate term. The signs I saw at both Meijer's many months ago were an oval with a handgun in the center, and said nothing about open carry, so I took that to mean "no guns"
My mistake, I read more into what you said than you intended. But for sure, absent any clarifying language, it was a "no guns" sign as you say - and as you mention later, has since been replaced. Like you, it doesn't make me any more likely to shop there however.
While it doesn't make it more likely, the old decal definitely made it less likely. They don't sell anything that's worth risking my life over, and I think no guns zones not only make me defenseless, it actually increases the chance of a mass shooting. Even some mass shooters think so, like the Nashville murderer who wrote, "I'm ready, I hope my victims aren't." :( She allegedly had two other places as potential sites, one being a mall and I can't recall what the other one was, and while she specifically didn't mention it, (or if she did it hasn't been publicly released yet) those other 2 places weren't victim disarmament zones. She is not the only mass murderer or a person planning a mass murderer who has written that site planning included whether there were potential armed victims or not.