Woman arrested after security finds a loaded gun in her car in parking lot of hospital

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Woman arrested after security finds a loaded gun in her car in parking lot of hospital

Post by M-Quigley »

They had a report of a woman with a gun but of course the news story didn't say what exactly she was doing with the gun and even though the story happened 2 days before they reported it on their website they had no further details. She could've been putting it in the trunk, IDK. If she wasn't doing anything with the gun that she wasn't supposed to be doing, is that illegal to have it in her car?

https://www.whio.com/news/local/police- ... OMA3G7JMI/
MIAMISBURG — A woman was arrested Friday evening after a loaded gun was found at a Miamisburg hospital.

Around 10:30 p.m. Miamisburg officers were called to Kettering Health Miamisburg for a “code silver”, according to a spokesperson for Miamisburg Police Department.

A “code silver” means there is someone with a weapon within the vicinity, according to Ohio Health Care Association.

A loaded gun was allegedly found in a woman’s car, according to police.

Miamisburg police and Kettering Health Miamisburg security were able to secure the situation and the woman was taken into custody, according to a spokesperson for Kettering Health.

The spokesperson said services were not disrupted and no one was injured.

Police said official charges have not yet been filed against the woman.

We are working to learn the identity of the woman taken into custody and the charges she faces.

We will update this story as we get new information.
Bearable

Re: Woman arrested after security finds a loaded gun in her car in parking lot of hospital

Post by Bearable »

Based on the story where is the crime?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Woman arrested after security finds a loaded gun in her car in parking lot of hospital

Post by JustaShooter »

I see no criminal act in the story. Ohio has a parking lot storage law, so even if the lot is posted having a firearm in the vehicle is not a crime. So, either there is more to the story, or the arrest was bogus.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm I see no criminal act in the story. Ohio has a parking lot storage law, so even if the lot is posted having a firearm in the vehicle is not a crime. So, either there is more to the story, or the arrest was bogus.
Hey, the parking lot storage law thing has only been in effect for a decade or less.

[sarcasm]You can't expect all the police departments in Ohio to be up to speed on that so fast, can you? [/sarcasm]

Yes, my attitude on these matters continues to get worse with the passage of time. But it could be we don't know the whole story yet.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

I just want to point out that there's ALWAYS someone with a gun in the vicinity.

Which is why I'm one of 'em!
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 1:08 pm I see no criminal act in the story. Ohio has a parking lot storage law, so even if the lot is posted having a firearm in the vehicle is not a crime. So, either there is more to the story, or the arrest was bogus.
I don't see merely having a gun in the car as a criminal act either. As far as a crime, when the story said
Around 10:30 p.m. Miamisburg officers were called to Kettering Health Miamisburg for a “code silver”, according to a spokesperson for Miamisburg Police Department.

A “code silver” means there is someone with a weapon within the vicinity, according to Ohio Health Care Association.
I take that to mean they must've had a reason to look for someone with a gun, which means someone saw her with it and reported her, which could mean that she might've been doing something illegal with it. Or it could merely mean someone saw her putting it into a trunk, IDK.
The only places I know of where it's possibly illegal to have a loaded handgun in your car in Ohio are parking lots that are part of federal property.

In addition the story doesn't say what she is being charged with. I'm leaving toward that there is more to the story. I think the fault with any confusion lies with WHIO for reporting the story in this manner, implying that she committed some crime for merely having a gun in the car. I tried to look at other news sources and the few I found were all copies of the WHIO story.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's more to this. If she was simply putting the gun away, I don't personally think they would have arrested her as that, in and of itself, is not illegal. A place like that probably has cameras everywhere so it wouldn't be hard to figure out what happened.

If you really want to know, make a public records request to the Miamisburg police for the police report. Then you'll likely have the person's name and can look up the charges.

An alternate explanation could be bad reporting... the article says she was taken into custody and charges had not been filed as of the time of the news report. Could really mean she was detained... and in reality released with no charges after the police figured out nothing illegal was going on.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

FormerNavy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:18 pm I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's more to this. If she was simply putting the gun away, I don't personally think they would have arrested her as that, in and of itself, is not illegal. A place like that probably has cameras everywhere so it wouldn't be hard to figure out what happened.

If you really want to know, make a public records request to the Miamisburg police for the police report. Then you'll likely have the person's name and can look up the charges.

An alternate explanation could be bad reporting... the article says she was taken into custody and charges had not been filed as of the time of the news report. Could really mean she was detained... and in reality released with no charges after the police figured out nothing illegal was going on.
Regarding the bolded, I think I implied that in the last thing I posted, next to last sentence. As far as filing a public records request, I'm curious but not curious enough at this time to do WHIO's job for them. They are the ones getting paid to follow up on stories like this. This story doesn't even narrow down a reporter, just says WHIO staff. On their facebook page there are more than one comment accusing WHIO of clickbait type reporting.
The ignorance of some of the facebook posts r/t Ohio law concerning firearms and carry law is both comical and sad at the same time.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

M-Quigley wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 8:01 am
FormerNavy wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:18 pm I'm going to go out on a limb and say there's more to this. If she was simply putting the gun away, I don't personally think they would have arrested her as that, in and of itself, is not illegal. A place like that probably has cameras everywhere so it wouldn't be hard to figure out what happened.

Regarding the bolded, I think I implied that in the last thing I posted, next to last sentence. As far as filing a public records request, I'm curious but not curious enough at this time to do WHIO's job for them. They are the ones getting paid to follow up on stories like this. This story doesn't even narrow down a reporter, just says WHIO staff. On their facebook page there are more than one comment accusing WHIO of clickbait type reporting.
The ignorance of some of the facebook posts r/t Ohio law concerning firearms and carry law is both comical and sad at the same time.
Yeah sorry... I didn't mean you specifically, meant "you" more generally as in anyone could go do a public records request. I agree, it shouldn't be this hard to do decent reporting on something like this.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

self deleted