Texas Mall Shooting

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Texas Mall Shooting

Post by qmti »

Mass Shooting at Texas Mall Leaves Eight Dead. I looked this mall up and it's a Simons Property and it prohibits weapons inside the mall. The shooter must not have read the "No Gun" signs on the doors.
M-Quigley

Re: Texas Mall Shooting

Post by M-Quigley »

From what I've heard he started shooting outside in the parking lot, and their no guns policy might not apply there. The TV news interviewed a guy who claimed he was carrying and he and another concealed carrier barricaded themselves with some other people behind some cover and saw the shooter on a surveillance camera walking past where the guy had previously been standing. So he and the other guy weren't planning on confronting the mass shooter but defending themselves should the mass shooter come to them.

I've seen a ton of coverage of the mass shooting recently and interviews with "The Trace" and other anti gun organizations, anti gun democratic Texas politicians, etc, and only one story on the TV of another mass killing, 7 dead, multiple injured also in Texas. Why one is getting more coverage than another? IDK but the other killer used a motor vehicle. The local police arrested the driver but he isn't talking, and they haven't released a motive yet.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

The shooter, Mauricio Garcia, was a white supremacist.

"The gunman was in his early 30s and may have had white supremacist or neo-Nazi beliefs."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... io-garcia/
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

A "white Hispanic" like George Zimmerman, maybe?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

RWDS
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Another criminal protection zone.

And why are these people leaving the mall with their hands-up? The shooter is dead.

This is proof that 99% of the people will comply with whatever the government tells them to do.

Turn in your guns, Yes-ser.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Too many people with carry licenses (or otherwise allowed) just don't carry on anything like a regular basis. Merely my opinion, but it's based on communicating with a metric poop ton of firearms owners over twenty years.

********************************************************************************
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Brian D. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:30 pm Too many people with carry licenses (or otherwise allowed) just don't carry on anything like a regular basis. Merely my opinion, but it's based on communicating with a metric poop ton of firearms owners over twenty years.
Don't leave home without it!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bearable wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:51 am
Brian D. wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:30 pm Too many people with carry licenses (or otherwise allowed) just don't carry on anything like a regular basis. Merely my opinion, but it's based on communicating with a metric poop ton of firearms owners over twenty years.
I'll give one example of this, because you'll understand the places mentioned: There's a guy I know who lives on the west side of Cincinnati that got a carry license but rarely carries. In fact he recently stated that he only carries during trips to either the Walmart or Kroger on Ferguson Road. (For those unfamiliar, these two stores experience high volumes of crime, of both property and violent nature.)

Meanwhile, the guy owns a retail store in downtown Cincinnati and doesn't bring the gun along there, much to my puzzlement. But it makes my point, I believe.

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:35 am
I'll give one example of this, because you'll understand the places mentioned: There's a guy I know who lives on the west side of Cincinnati that got a carry license but rarely carries. In fact he recently stated that he only carries during trips to either the Walmart or Kroger on Ferguson Road. (For those unfamiliar, these two stores experience high volumes of crime, of both property and violent nature.)

Meanwhile, the guy owns a retail store in downtown Cincinnati and doesn't bring the gun along there, much to my puzzlement. But it makes my point, I believe.
When it comes to the mass shootings that make the national news, almost all of them have occurred in places where witnesses say things like "This kind of stuff never happens here." :( The sad fact is mass murder can occur anywhere there are mass numbers of people, whether it's 8 people killed with a gunman, or 8 people killed with an SUV. :(

I recently flew down south to visit relatives, and when I mentioned to my sister in law that the counter person at the airline was confused on how to process my request to check my handgun, she asked why I needed to bring a gun with me. I asked, "Doesn't ------ (her husband) carry concealed when he's out and about?" She just rolled her eyes and said, (paraphrasing) "Yes, but he doesn't need to. This is a nice safe place, we don't have hardly any violent crime here." I replied, "That's great. I don't want to have to shoot anyone anyway if I don't have to." :)

She was correct in general about the crime there. Watching the news down there every day there was only one report of a shooting, downtown at 3am, and the shooter allegedly missed the person he intended to shoot and wounded an innocent bystander. Still though, a mass shooting can happen anywhere anytime and the grocery stores and Walmart had massive numbers of people inside. My feeling is, if a mass shooting does occur, like at the Walmart in Texas a few years ago, I am NOT going to be like some of the people interviewed by the news media, "Oh, I could've carried a gun but didn't that day because I didn't think I needed to." :roll:

b.t.w. The guy who mowed down people with an SUV is still not getting anywhere near the press coverage of the mass shooting, at least on my TV news. (the death toll rose to 8 so far, exactly the same death toll at this time as the mass shooting) I wonder why that is? :roll:
Last edited by M-Quigley on Tue May 09, 2023 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Watching the local TV news last night they were covering a story in Texas of Moms demand action and other anti gun groups and Democratic politicians in Texas, talking about the outlet mall mass shooting. They were not demanding the legislature ban the AR 15 but instead raising the age to buy one in Texas to 21. Of course the TV news didn't remind viewers that the mass shooter was 33. :roll:
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

And both of those stores are in the back yard of District 3 police station.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I once met a guy who had a business in downtown Dayton and carried to and from his business (and at his business) but never anywhere else, because according to him, he lived in a nice safe suburb where there wasn't the crime problem Dayton had. He thought he "needed" to carry at work but didn't need to anywhere else. At the time I last talked to him he never had a need to draw his gun at work but coming home one day he encountered someone who had already broken into his house. Instead of running out when the homeowner came in the guy chose to stay and displayed a large knife. If the homeowner hadn't been coming home from work and had been coming home from somewhere else, he wouldn't have been armed. It was also fortunate that the guys wife, who normally would've been home from her job before him, had to work over a little bit that particular day, or she would've normally been over a lot sooner than he would've.