Ohio BMV location NOT posted now.

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Ohio BMV location NOT posted now.

Post by Brian D. »

A year ago this one was conspicuously posted with "No Guns" signs. I noticed the change while parking. So I stayed strapped and paid my $56 sticker fee for registration renewal.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BB62

Re: Ohio BMV location NOT posted now.

Post by BB62 »

Stunning!!
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

That's great. Of course the law allows them to not post the sign. And the sign only applies to conceal carry, not open carry.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm not so sure about that one. Although the ORC includes the deputy registrar office in the definition of a Government Facility, as I understand it they are still a private enterprise and as such the standard signage would prohibit both concealed as well as open carry.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

For the first time in nearly forever, I know someone who works at a BMV. I rarely run into her these days, but we keep in touch online. She is a gun owner and carry licensee herself, so I'll find out how things are at her workplace with regards to signage.

It's more likely what I saw was an anomaly. Seems I heard a story about someone accidentally driving their car into the front of this BMV a few weeks back. (As the story goes they were there to renew their driver's license and made a very ironic boo-boo, taking out the front window.) If true, maybe the gunbuster sign was a casualty and they haven't replaced it yet.

********************************************************************************
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

JustaShooter wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:14 am I'm not so sure about that one. Although the ORC includes the deputy registrar office in the definition of a Government Facility, as I understand it they are still a private enterprise and as such the standard signage would prohibit both concealed as well as open carry.
Section 2923.126(B)... A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(7) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state…
(G) As used in this section:
(3) "Government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state" means any of the following:
(b) The office of a deputy registrar serving pursuant to Chapter 4503. of the Revised Code that is used to perform deputy registrar functions.

Section 4503.03(A)(1)(a) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, the registrar of motor vehicles may designate one or more of the following persons to act as a deputy registrar in each county:

The deputy registrar is an agent of the state, it is assigned duties of the state and is therefore a Government facility of this state.
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Bearable wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 am
JustaShooter wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:14 am I'm not so sure about that one. Although the ORC includes the deputy registrar office in the definition of a Government Facility, as I understand it they are still a private enterprise and as such the standard signage would prohibit both concealed as well as open carry.
Section 2923.126(B)... A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(7) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state…
(3) "Government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state" means any of the following:
(b) The office of a deputy registrar serving pursuant to Chapter 4503. of the Revised Code that is used to perform deputy registrar functions.

Section 4503.03(A)(1)(a) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, the registrar of motor vehicles may designate one or more of the following persons to act as a deputy registrar in each county:

The deputy registrar is an agent of the state, it is assigned duties of the state and is therefore a Government facility of this state.
Additionally, 4503.03(C)(1) Except as provided in division (C)(2) of this section, deputy registrars are independent contractors and neither they nor their employees are employees of this state...

4507.01(B) In the administration of this chapter and Chapter 4506. of the Revised Code, the registrar has the same authority as is conferred on the registrar by section 4501.02 of the Revised Code. Any act of an authorized deputy registrar of motor vehicles under direction of the registrar is deemed the act of the registrar.

The deputy registrar is contracted to carryout the laws of Ohio as though it is the registrar itself.

All the law is saying is the employees of the deputy registrar are not state employees.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bearable wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:56 pm
Bearable wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:39 am

Additionally, 4503.03(C)(1) Except as provided in division (C)(2) of this section, deputy registrars are independent contractors and neither they nor their employees are employees of this state...

4507.01(B) In the administration of this chapter and Chapter 4506. of the Revised Code, the registrar has the same authority as is conferred on the registrar by section 4501.02 of the Revised Code. Any act of an authorized deputy registrar of motor vehicles under direction of the registrar is deemed the act of the registrar.

The deputy registrar is contracted to carryout the laws of Ohio as though it is the registrar itself.

All the law is saying is the employees of the deputy registrar are not state employees.
That's nice. While back I was talking to an acquaintance whose wife works at the BMV in Price Hill (west side of Cincinnati). They are nice folks, and the husband worries about his wife's safety. Like many such facilities in dicey neighborhoods across urban Ohio, the clientele can be difficult/deceitful/menacing when they try to make transactions there that don't comply with the law and are politely rebuffed. The place averages a couple death threats a week to the staff. Didn't quite take the guy at his word about that so I dropped by a couple of times to observe the proceedings for myself.

My pal wasn't exaggerating a bit, that place is a s**t show. Bearable, it's comparable to the Westwood Walmart out that way on Ferguson Road. I know you know what I'm talking about.

Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Brian D. wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:37 pm My pal wasn't exaggerating a bit, that place is a s**t show. Bearable, it's comparable to the Westwood Walmart out that way on Ferguson Road. I know you know what I'm talking about.
And that Walmart is basically right next door to district 3 police station.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Niles (Eastwood Mall) BMV clearly still marked.
BOB
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Boardman and Canfield offices are posted as of the other day.
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם