Forums Update

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Ok here is what the story is with the avatars. There appears to be some kind of database corruption that took place with avatars in the upgrade that I can't explain, nor can I really put my finger on what it did or why it did it. Had I caught this during the numerous trial runs of the upgrade I would have tried to account for it. So far as I can tell the files are all there on the disk, but the database is confused as to which file belongs to which user when it fails.

Here is how you can attempt to fix your avatar for a short period of time. Go to one of these two websites:

http://first.ohioccwforums.org or
http://temp.ohioccwforums.org -- these were two of many trial runs and they still appear to have most of the avatars I look for.

If you go there and find your avatar you can right click on it, save it to your computer, and come back here and re-upload it. Unfortunately, if this doesn't work for you then you'll have to pick a new avatar.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Forums Update

Post by jgarvas »

Ok I'm going to post a recap of all the concerns I saw raised in this thread in hopes that I can wrap my head around unsolved issues. If you see something in here you posted earlier in this thread I may need your help to understand what is broken because I either don't see it or don't understand it.
Yes no email notifications on my end.
I am going to eventually figure out email notifications because I think they're critical to the forums functioning, but at the moment I need to find a way for us to legitimately send emails without getting trapped as a source of spam. Give me a few, this is unresolved on my list.
1 issue the new setup doesn't show that there are new posts in individual forums.
The old setup would show on the far right side of ea forum the date of the latest post.
Now you have to go into ea forum to see if there are any new posts or threads.
Can someone post a screenshot of this if it is still an issue and indicate if you're looking at it from a computer with a browser vs a phone? This might be one of those things that are just the way it works in the 3.3 version of phpBB.
We lost our visual post count, but is on our profile page.
I see the post counts on the right side under a person's profile image. If you're not seeing this on the computer browser version I'd try to clear your cache in your browser and try again. If it persists let me know and maybe show a sreen shot. If this isn't working on a mobile device that may be the mobile version of phpBB3 normal behavior.
Will there be a substitute for our Feedback scores that we lost?
Sadly, at this time, no. I do intend to take a snapshot of all the Feedback scores and if there is a extension for phpBB 3.3 that supports Feedback I'll try to install it and try to manually re-populate the Feedback scores when I do it. I have not looked to see if the author make the feedback plugin work in 3.3 yet.
I see other member's OFCC banners under their usernames, but can't see mine.
Whoever posted this what banner are you talking about? User ranks?
Smiley choices, some are showing up as cartoons (sorry I don't know the proper term), others are the keypad faces.
I need someone to explain this better to me. Did the emoticons break? Can I re-create this?
Ok posting from my tablet now, half of the smilies are showing on the right side they all were showing on my phone.
I'm now seeing post count, location & pm just like before any changes, now on my tablet i don't see my avatar but my phone it shows.
So there are a couple different things between my phone & tablet, have not tried my laptop yet to compare there i don't use it much.
I quoted this one just to explain that the behavior of the forums on a desktop running a browser, a tablet, and a smaller mobile device may in fact be three separate experiences. The desktop computer running a modern browser is going to be the most elaborate display, while mobile devices will opt to hide certain features due to the limited screen real-estate. The reason I'm spelling this out is so everyone knows this isn't a failure, but just the way it probably works. If you're trying to determine if the forums are broken/failing, make sure you're looking at the desktop browser version. (This doens't mean there couldn't be mobile phone issues, just that comparing it to the desktop version is the best thing to do here)

If there is anything else going on that looks out of place that isn't re-capped in this post please let me know. As we go back into the work week I'll be hard-pressed to find time to dedicate to fixing things other than late at night.

Those of you offering feedback and being patient, thank you very much!
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Ok i went in to try & change my avatar on this new platform, it shows in red that file size is up to 6KiB whatever that means.
As for the smilies those are the emoticons on the right side that appear while making a post, only about half are showing properly the rest sd disk shape with no picture.
As for seeing post count, location, under user name & most recent post in any new thread, that must be due to the new version on mobile vs other browser because i'm seeing everything fine on tablet but not mobile.
Another thing to look into Jeff on this new system, is there a option to "Thank, Like or just a Thumbs Up" option that can be added to threads?
Like on other forums instead of having to quote a message to respond, you can simply hit the "Like/Thumbs Up" option bottom of post & it shows the users that used it.

Again thank you Jeff for all your time invested.
BOB
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

Jeff, since I'm no good with my words :oops: :oops: , here's some pictures.

People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

ESAFO wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:46 am As for the smilies those are the emoticons on the right side that appear while making a post, only about half are showing properly the rest sd disk shape with no picture. ...

...Another thing to look into Jeff on this new system, is there a option to "Thank, Like or just a Thumbs Up" option that can be added to threads?
Like on other forums instead of having to quote a message to respond, you can simply hit the "Like/Thumbs Up" option bottom of post & it shows the users that used it.

Again thank you Jeff for all your time invested.
I was just getn ready to bring up 'thumbs up' as a features, I suppose 1st things 1st get all running correctly. 1st. Hope it works out and I echo again, thanks for the updates!
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Avatar Update

Post by schmieg »

jgarvas wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:42 am Ok here is what the story is with the avatars. There appears to be some kind of database corruption that took place with avatars in the upgrade that I can't explain, nor can I really put my finger on what it did or why it did it. Had I caught this during the numerous trial runs of the upgrade I would have tried to account for it. So far as I can tell the files are all there on the disk, but the database is confused as to which file belongs to which user when it fails.

Here is how you can attempt to fix your avatar for a short period of time. Go to one of these two websites:

http://first.ohioccwforums.org or
http://temp.ohioccwforums.org -- these were two of many trial runs and they still appear to have most of the avatars I look for.

If you go there and find your avatar you can right click on it, save it to your computer, and come back here and re-upload it. Unfortunately, if this doesn't work for you then you'll have to pick a new avatar.
I attempted to upload my avatar. The system seems to accept the upload, but when I return to the avatar screen, it still shows a blank.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

schmieg wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:32 pm I attempted to upload my avatar. The system seems to accept the upload, but when I return to the avatar screen, it still shows a blank.
Thanks Mike. Good info. I too can not upload an avatar, which suggests to me a bigger problem than I originally believed. I'm digging into this.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

jgarvas wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:27 am
schmieg wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:32 pm I attempted to upload my avatar. The system seems to accept the upload, but when I return to the avatar screen, it still shows a blank.
Thanks Mike. Good info. I too can not upload an avatar, which suggests to me a bigger problem than I originally believed. I'm digging into this.
Interestingly enough, while I still can't upload my avatar, I am seeing random avatars on messages from some other users. Strange.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

I am seeing avatars for most users now on desktop, and android.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

Jim-in-Toledo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:57 am I am seeing avatars for most users now on desktop, and android.
schmieg wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:42 pm
jgarvas wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:27 am
Interestingly enough, while I still can't upload my avatar, I am seeing random avatars on messages from some other users. Strange.
Mike & Jeff i'm seeing both of your avatars along with others i have seen this whole time, oddly enough while on my tablet like before i'm not seeing mine.
When i'm on my phone (not turned on yet) i see mine just fine along with others, **i will add this i'm now seeing all of the smilies so that is fixed Jeff.**
BOB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

From the Testing Arena forum:

Close a sale thread?

Post by natchezz » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:23 pm
The instructions seem out of date for marking a sales post “sold”? I don’t see a quick mod link in the lower right? Please advise.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Also, I just noticed that clicking on links takes you to the link in the same tab. If possible, having it automatically open a new tab as it did in the old forum software would be nice.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:41 am From the Testing Arena forum:

Close a sale thread?

The instructions seem out of date for marking a sales post “sold”? I don’t see a quick mod link in the lower right? Please advise.
Dave there is a hammer looking icon on bottom right, click on that & it gives a lock option.
BOB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:29 pm

Close a sale thread?

Dave there is a hammer looking icon on bottom right, click on that & it gives a lock option.
While that will lock it, it won't mark it as "Sold". Hopefully, we can get that as an option as well.
NRA Life Member

ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:36 pm
ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:29 pm

Close a sale thread?

While that will lock it, it won't mark it as "Sold". Hopefully, we can get that as an option as well.
Hopefully with the newer platform you would think we would have better/more options overall.
BOB