Happy Trails

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Bearable

Re: Happy Trails

Post by Bearable »

schmieg wrote:
EricTheBald wrote: The truth is, I have been online since before Al Gore invented the internet, and I can tell you that ALL online communities have a life-cycle. Eventually, no matter what their peak popularity may have been, they all die off.
I've been around as long and it's not just the communities that have a life cycle. Many of us older members are realizing they have one as well.
There is no such thing as the golden years and no one gets out alive. This forum is no different than facebook or twitter; this forum banned contributors who did not tow the line.

The problem I see is that there is no interest by the young to learn how to do legal research. Calling an 800 number for salvation is a foolish proposition.

We have not won the war. The war has just begun. Heller and Bruen has just cracked the surface.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Mr. Glock wrote:With today’s news.

What was the news?

Reading between the lines, it seems like OFCC is going away... or the forums are going away... or both... or something... but I haven't seen anything posted anywhere from anyone in the know....
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

FormerNavy wrote:

What was the news?

Reading between the lines, it seems like OFCC is going away... or the forums are going away... or both... or something... but I haven't seen anything posted anywhere from anyone in the know....
https://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

ESAFO wrote:
FormerNavy wrote:

What was the news?

https://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=96411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks, totally missed it....
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

schmieg wrote:
EricTheBald wrote: The truth is, I have been online since before Al Gore invented the internet, and I can tell you that ALL online communities have a life-cycle. Eventually, no matter what their peak popularity may have been, they all die off.
I've been around as long and it's not just the communities that have a life cycle. Many of us older members are realizing they have one as well.
True, but then we're not around to complain about it. :mrgreen:
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Bearable wrote:...this forum banned contributors who did not tow the line.
When I had a post (News event) summarily deleted because some trigger-happy goober thought I had insufficient explanation about the self-explanatory story, I knew I either had to drive over and put my foot in his butt, or leave the board. So I left.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
The older I get the more I can related to something Betty White once said about Facebook. Someone told her Facebook was a great way to reconnect with old friends, and she said if I want to reconnect with old friends I need a Ouija board.
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

You do know that OpenCarry.org's forum is still alive and there is a section for Ohio.
https://forum.opencarry.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It has a somewhat liberal posting policy. Moderation is at a minimum; no Gestapo "your deleted because we don't like you" crap.
You will never get a real discussion of a topic on facebook.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bearable wrote:You do know that OpenCarry.org's forum is still alive and there is a section for Ohio.
https://forum.opencarry.org/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It also, like here at OFCC, has very light traffic these days. As you said, moderation there is just about non-existent. To the point that spammers run wild and free there sometimes. Plus, some of the more frequent posters at OCDO are pedantic to an extreme.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Brian D. wrote:
Bearable wrote:You do know that OpenCarry.org's forum is still alive and there is a section for Ohio.
It also, like here at OFCC, has very light traffic these days. As you said, moderation there is just about non-existent. To the point that spammers run wild and free there sometimes. Plus, some of the more frequent posters at OCDO are pedantic to an extreme.
Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.
So, what forum exists out there in Lala land that will accommodate lively discussion of what is going on in Ohio? Other that OCDO I know of no other forum that will.

I don't think not having a place to discuss Ohio issues is beneficial to us gun proponents.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bearable wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good.
So, what forum exists out there in Lala land that will accommodate lively discussion of what is going on in Ohio? Other that OCDO I know of no other forum that will.

I don't think not having a place to discuss Ohio issues is beneficial to us gun proponents.
At the moment, this forum does - and hopefully will continue to if they are able to keep it going.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

JustaShooter wrote: At the moment, this forum does - and hopefully will continue to if they are able to keep it going.
And that is a big IF. OCDO is owned by an attorney and is supported by add revenue. OGO has no forum. The gun community, I believe, has become complacent. 99% of Ohio gun law need to be repealed. We are not even close to that happening. And until the NFA and GCA are repealed we are in a fight.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Wish I would have seen this last month!

As part of a bathroom remodel, I was cleaning out some boxes in the attic. In one was some of the original 'Ohio Concealed Carry Petitions' that we collected back around 1999/2000 along with a floppy disk of my original version of the 'Do Not Patronize While Armed' database. ( https://web.archive.org/web/20040606190 ... protect.pl )

Could have donated them to the future Jeff Garvas presidential museum. :lol:

JLE
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Bearable wrote: The gun community, I believe, has become complacent.
Especially in Ohio. And that, quite frankly, is one of the biggest reasons in my opinion OFCC is in its current state. It's been happening for a long time, as we make inroads in Ohio's gun laws, people see their favorite issue (somewhat) addressed and no longer get involved. When you can't even get people to volunteer for a shift at a table at a gun show and get free admittance and parking, it's pretty telling.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote:When you can't even get people to volunteer for a shift at a table at a gun show and get free admittance and parking, it's pretty telling.
You obviously volunteered for that duty way more times than I did, but it seemed like after the first couple years, most people attending the shows stopped interacting with us.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.