The future of OFCC

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

The future of OFCC

Post by Chuck »

The sad truth is that in the next month or two, OFCC as a corporation will probably dissolve.
Our membership is way down and we simply aren't bringing in enough money to pay the bills.
We are in the process of backing up the forums, which contains so much valuable history and information, and intend on keeping them active on another hosting site more affordable.
The front page will disappear to reduce costs.

Those who still have active memberships will receive a refund, and our deepest thanks.
We are hoping to have the forums and a way to donate to keep them online and available, although we haven't worked the details out yet.

The reasons why we are losing/have lost so many members are many and complex. Jeff Garvas explains it as folks join and pay until they get what they are after. Using him for an example, he wanted a Concealed Carry License, spent five years making that happen, and shortly after stepped back from his personal activism and enjoyed the fruits of his labor while keeping the corporation alive to improve the laws he help craft.
Same for the folks who wanted to carry unrestricted in cars, those desired to carry in liquor establishments, a general law protecting our rights from local ordinances more restrictive than state law, etc.
My personal involvement came about because I, who carried openly when I wanted to carry, found myself in need of carrying constantly, due to threats that evolved from a bad family situation. I didn't want a license; I wanted to protect myself and family. So I got my license, became an instructor, and started going to the statehouse more often. And once we got SYG and permit less carry passed, I too, stepped down.

Now that all this has happened, most folks have no reason nor desire to send us twenty or sixty bucks a year. Those that do want to keep improving our laws or have a desire to throw money at the cause, have migrated to organizations that promote gun rights for profit, something OFCC has never done. In our talks, Jeff and I agree that while he could have chosen the for profit model for the corporation, that wouldn't have grass roots and volunteer driven, like the effort to get the CCW law passed in the first place. I myself choose to join the grassroots volunteers rather than send my money and have others fight my legislative battles. I have seen first hand the results of late night, last minute, compromises on such legislation and the work it took to correct them. We also stopped many bad laws from affecting us, for example that odious hidden compartment legislation.

Our intention is to find a way to make the forums ONLY self sufficient, keep the buy and sell forums, and all the others, up and running. We welcome any and all suggestions for this; you guys are pretty imaginative sometimes. It's about $240 a month to host them, and we are looking for a more cost effective way to do it.

I sincerely thank those of you still paying for memberships. You guys are the rock I stood on while doing my best to make things better, and I have often written of my appreciation to OFCC for letting me use their platform, name and voice for my own activism. If you want to keep the forums going, please contribute once we get the hosting switch over complete.

*Facebook sucks*

I'm rambling because I'm feeling nostalgic.
The purpose of this post is to inform you of the coming changes.
Those who want to pass on ideas or simply keep in touch can either PM me or email me at CHUCK at OHIOCCW dot ORG.

Chuck LaRosa
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
weakhand luke

Re: The future of OFCC

Post by weakhand luke »

In the old days someone would have posted "crickets" by now.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Tried to renew my membership today and was getting nowhere so I came here to see what is up. Had not been on the forums since December 10th so I got a shock when I saw the new look. Then I got a bigger shock when I saw this post. :(
synack2

Post by synack2 »

All good things come to an end eventually I guess. We will alway have the pro-gun march in Columbus 2013 where I got to meet you and so many other good people on here. I will be happy to donate to keep the forum up once you get it worked out. Ohio is in a pretty good spot from gun rights perspective. Now there are so many attacks coming down from a national level, that we have to focus on. I remember working the OFCC booths at the shows a Harah Arena, and all the grumpy old men would come up to me, and be like I would never join or donate to you guys, because you shouldn't have to have a permit to carry a gun. I would be like yeah we agree, but we just aren't there yet. Now we are, we finally are.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
synack2

Post by synack2 »

If you really really need free hosting for archival purposes, you can alway find someone with a good home cable modem and locate a box at their home. I host my little website from my YouTube channels on a Rocky Linux server, from a home server this way (https://frugalprepper.rocks). It's a pretty crappy website, but I am a network engineer not a web developer. I moved my DNS to Dynu.com and use there Dynamic DNS feature that update the IP almost immediately upon changing. I think it $10 a year. I even do a free Let's Encrypt ssl cert with a certbot auto renewal. An I just mapped port 443 in my router.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

My exposure to OFCC began when I attended an open carry walk in Lorain. This organization has been invaluable source of information since then and saying thanks just doesn't seem like enough. Sad day.

Regarding the refunds of memberships, I'd be happy to let mine be a donation to the new hosting site fund.
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I guess this means that the annual Picnic, and fundraiser shooting event, are done forever?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Brian D. wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:42 am I guess this means that the annual Picnic, and fundraiser shooting event, are done forever?
Doesn't mean we can't have Meet & Greets now and then, between members of this forum.
I set one up years back, near where I live, might try do do one again a little farther south of me and post it in the events forum.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

Chuck wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:08 am
The reasons why we are losing/have lost so many members are many and complex. Jeff Garvas explains it as folks join and pay until they get what they are after. Using him for an example, he wanted a Concealed Carry License, spent five years making that happen, and shortly after stepped back from his personal activism and enjoyed the fruits of his labor while keeping the corporation alive to improve the laws he help craft.
Same for the folks who wanted to carry unrestricted in cars, those desired to carry in liquor establishments, a general law protecting our rights from local ordinances more restrictive than state law, etc.
My personal involvement came about because I, who carried openly when I wanted to carry, found myself in need of carrying constantly, due to threats that evolved from a bad family situation. I didn't want a license; I wanted to protect myself and family. So I got my license, became an instructor, and started going to the statehouse more often. And once we got SYG and permit less carry passed, I too, stepped down.
For those who may eventually pick up this mantle and rebuild an organization...analyze this paragraph detailing Chuck and Jeff's thought process.

Leadership / Members were not united in purpose and leadership didn't effectively set out new and better targets. The General Assembly was the general focus and the people in the 4 corners of the state were only encouraged to send cash.

Burn out is a real thing: have an ongoing plan to replenish your ranks. Marketing needs to include the gun shop owners, ranges and those who economically benefit from the Ohio based RKBA efforts being made. Chuck and Jeff, God Bless them, were volunteers who broke ground for us on volunteer basis and salary (I assume). There must be a non-profit yet economically feasible way to keep the pressure on our local Sheriffs, Prosecutors, and GA members. Today, there's a national call to increase restrictions, every Sheriff / Prosecutor / Chief of Police should be asked - on record - to denounce this attack on RKBA. Everyone has a phone, and you can record conversations you have in Ohio (one party state). The tools are there.

When your membership is openly critical of the government and attempts to inject spiritual discussion as our founders did, the ban hammer, or the threat thereof, is the wrong path forward. "Cop Bashing" / "Bible Thumping" / "Q-Anon" / "9/11 Truther" stuff isn't always attractive, true, so don't put those people in leadership. Particularly at the dawn of the internet, members you seek will gravitate to free-speech alternatives, taking precious resources with them. You want liberty minded people, and they need to be encouraged, not threatened/squashed.

A culture of e pluribus unum is the key. Set aspirational goals and galvanize around them (showing grace to those who have input that may distract). State orgs are a target, because national orgs pay for protection. Fundraising is a full time job. The wolf will always be at the door, and be assured, they're well funded.

RuPaul (who is admittedly well paid) says his cross dressers are the "Marines" of their culture. Some have called Antifa the militia of the left.

For what OFCC was, the accomplishments were miraculous. In the last 20 years, we've lost so many liberties and freedoms, but RKBA has been a bright spot where we've broken even if not gained some ground. And let's not get it twisted, we haven't had a pro RKBA governor (or POTUS) in a LOOOOOOOOONG time. So it's a funeral where we grieve the loss - particularly as society falls apart - but we remember the good times where wins were obtained against great odds. Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

From Lima to East Palestine, and Port Clinton to Ironton, God Bless the people of Ohio and thier RKBA.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

bignflnut wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 am Chuck and Jeff, God Bless them, were volunteers who broke ground for us on volunteer basis and salary (I assume).
Just to be clear, nobody in OFCC drew a salary or was paid in any way except to reimburse for direct expenses (like mailing, printing, etc. - no "junkets" here!)
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:53 am
bignflnut wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 am Chuck and Jeff, God Bless them, were volunteers who broke ground for us on volunteer basis and salary (I assume).
Just to be clear, nobody in OFCC drew a salary or was paid in any way except to reimburse for direct expenses (like mailing, printing, etc. - no "junkets" here!)
Heck, after the first couple times, I quit sending my parking receipts at the statehouse in for re-imbursement.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It's too bad a volunteer grassroots organization can't fund the services of a paid lobbyist. Ideally it would have been someone Columbus-based, with a law degree, experience in crafting legislation, and hopefully pro gun him or her self. The Statehouse skids would have gotten greased much better and faster that way.

I can cite a couple examples of gun rights groups who did it that way, and it was very helpful. But I preached on that many years ago here, to a mostly unreceptive forum crowd, and it's moot now anyway.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

If we don’t think gun laws in Ohio can change for the worse, we are mistaken..we are one Governor and one election away from negative change. This is why we still need OFCC and to help it stay viable..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:32 am It's too bad a volunteer grassroots organization can't fund the services of a paid lobbyist. Ideally it would have been someone Columbus-based, with a law degree, experience in crafting legislation, and hopefully pro gun him or her self. The Statehouse skids would have gotten greased much better and faster that way.
You realize, of course, that you just described BFA.

Long before I came into the picture, OFCC brass decided they didn't want to pursue the fund raising model that paid lobbyists require.
I looked at both organizations and chose this one because with the other one I had no voice, only an account, whereas with OFCC, all I had to do was volunteer and my voice could become as big as I wanted it to be.
When I first talked to their paid lobbyist and brass way back when and they made it clear that they needed nobody's input and if I wanted to help the cause I could donate more.
When I last talked with them, they told me we flat out didn't have the votes for SYG or Constitutional Carry and lobbying for them was a waste of time.
I often chuckle to myself when I see certain people's pictures on Facebook or the news

Looking back, I'm happy with my choice.
Ain't activism fun?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

bignflnut wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:43 am For those who may eventually pick up this mantle and rebuild an organization...analyze this paragraph detailing Chuck and Jeff's thought process.

Leadership / Members were not united in purpose and leadership didn't effectively set out new and better targets. The General Assembly was the general focus and the people in the 4 corners of the state were only encouraged to send cash.
While I love reading what you write , I'll disagree with this part.
We had two statewide get togethers every year, Fun N Gun and the Party in the Park.
We also had many activist days at the statehouse where we asked folks from every where to come, and they did.
We also had a standing call for gun show volunteers, with a complete spare gun show kit for sitting unused for years because we couldn't find anyone in the state to take it on.
I personally called out for volunteers for years, still am, in fact.
I would like to use training, more advanced than to get a license but less intense than back to back twelve hour days, to raise funds to keep the forums up, etc.

Not to mention all the member input we sought via the forums as to what legislation to pursue.
We "encouraged" much more than only "send cash"
Ain't activism fun?