Columbus ban hi cap mags

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: Columbus ban hi cap mags

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:What’s the logic behind this ? It’s the ammo not the mag..
This law is about the capacity of the magazines, not how many rounds happen to be in them at any given time. Are you really not understanding that?
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:What’s the logic behind this ? It’s the ammo not the mag..
This law is about the capacity of the magazines, not how many rounds happen to be in them at any given time. Are you really not understanding that?
I just like to hear you answer my question. Which I was asked and brought it up here.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote: I just like to hear you answer my question. Which I was asked and brought it up here.
Enough. Find something better to do to amuse yourself, okay?

********************************************************************************
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Since civil litigation is lengthy, and Ohio's preemption law *still* has no teeth, I know someone who, if supplied with capable legal counsel, would be willing to be a test case regarding violating Columbus's unlawful law. The same person would do the same in Cincinnati, if required.

Who is this person? Hint: he's rather tall and tremendously good-looking. :wink: :D
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote: I just like to hear you answer my question. Which I was asked and brought it up here.
Enough. Find something better to do to amuse yourself, okay?
Getting a little cranky in your old age..Remember Brian,not everyone is into gun laws like you are. Some of us aren’t as intelligent as you are..
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

How would Columbus or Cincinnati prosecute someone under their city ordinances? There is no analogous (comparable) state law. And the Ohio constitution under Article IV, §20 Says "all prosecutions shall be carried on, in the name, and by the authority, of the State of Ohio;" In other words, the city is prosecuting on behalf of the Attorney General of Ohio. The Bruen Court and R.C. §9.68 collectively bars the cities from prosecuting.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
carmen fovozzo wrote:So how would they know it’s a 30 round mag if you only put 29 in it ?
Sometimes I can't tell if you're being serious. If it holds 29, a mag loader tool will allow at least one more round to be stuffed in.
What’s the logic behind this ? It’s the ammo not the mag..
Logic for an anti gunner? You're serious, right? :lol:

Anyway, yes, if one more round can be stuffed in, they will consider it a 30 rounder. It isn't about logic it's about politics. It's not like the Columbus city politicians are going to blame themselves and their policies for the violent crime in their city, but they want to say that they're "doing something" to their ignorant constituents, even if that something is useless. IMHO the voters in Columbus should vote out the politicians who voted for this if for no other reason than insulting their intelligence, but they never will. :(

LEPD firearms store is allegedly selling magazines with some kind of block in the bottom of the mag so that you can only stuff 29 rounds in, and I think they said they sell kits so that you can modify your own magazine if you wish. I think the 29 rd. kit is more of an "in your face" protest to the city than merely giving in to them. If it was me I wouldn't permanently modify a magazine over this nonsense. I haven't read the ordinance so IDK if the magazine has to be permanently altered somehow or just a temporary block.
Berettas4me

Post by Berettas4me »

Someone maybe explain this revised text to me? lol
It almost looks like the City has backed off and is grandfathering existing 30 rounders ?

(E) No person who lawfully acquired or possessed a large capacity magazine prior to December 5, 2022 shall be prosecuted for lawfully possessing a large capacity magazine in violation of section 2323.32 prior to July 1, 2023. Any person who may not lawfully possess a large-capacity magazine as of December 5, 2022, shall, prior to July 1, 2023:

https://columbus.legistar.com/Legislati ... FullText=1
Legal jargon, yeah, but Buckeye Firearms says this is an amended section.
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/columbu ... -magazines

It almost looks like the city realizes theyre going to get roasted if we start suing them because of part of State law really making it bad for them financially if we did have to sue.
Does that look like its a grandfather clause or is my English that bad? lol
Berettas4me

Post by Berettas4me »

carmen fovozzo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:28 am So how would they know it’s a 30 round mag if you only put 29 in it ?
The text says;
(N) "Large capacity magazine" means any magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, clip or other similar device that has the capacity of, or can be readily restored or converted to accept, thirty (30) or more rounds of ammunition for use in a firearm.
"or readily restored or converted"
thats the part where I think they get us regardless.
I think they covered their bases here even if you get a new base that limits a few rounds that theyre going to use that language to prosecute anyway.
MY guess is the only way around it is to have the magazine physically altered so its no longer long enough to hold 30 rounds.
But who the hell would do that to their magazines even if they have the tools to?

I only have one 30 rounder that I literally bought because some joke politician said 'you dont need 30 rounds".
I have no use for the thing. its only been used once in the entire time Ive owned it. lol.
And I have ZERO intention of altering it or getting rid of it.
I'll bury the damned thing first and they can try to find it. lmao
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Berettas4me wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:11 am Someone maybe explain this revised text to me? lol
It almost looks like the City has backed off and is grandfathering existing 30 rounders ?

(E) No person who lawfully acquired or possessed a large capacity magazine prior to December 5, 2022 shall be prosecuted for lawfully possessing a large capacity magazine in violation of section 2323.32 prior to July 1, 2023. Any person who may not lawfully possess a large-capacity magazine as of December 5, 2022, shall, prior to July 1, 2023:

https://columbus.legistar.com/Legislati ... FullText=1
Legal jargon, yeah, but Buckeye Firearms says this is an amended section.
https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/columbu ... -magazines

It almost looks like the city realizes theyre going to get roasted if we start suing them because of part of State law really making it bad for them financially if we did have to sue.
Does that look like its a grandfather clause or is my English that bad? lol
No, it's not a grandfather clause. It just says they can't prosecute anyone for possessing one until July 1.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Berettas4me

Post by Berettas4me »

JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:04 am No, it's not a grandfather clause. It just says they can't prosecute anyone for possessing one until July 1.
Thanks!
I figured it wasnt making sense to me for some reason. lol.

You just know why they chose 30 rounders. Its those evil AR's again, lmao.
I bought a single 30 rd mag for my Beretta 92 back when Biden said we dont need 30 rounds.
I dont need the thing. I dont carry it. It spends its life in storage, lol. Its too big for anything but the range.
But it'll rust in the ground before I turn the thing in.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bearable wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:35 pm How would Columbus or Cincinnati prosecute someone under their city ordinances? There is no analogous (comparable) state law. And the Ohio constitution under Article IV, §20 Says "all prosecutions shall be carried on, in the name, and by the authority, of the State of Ohio;" In other words, the city is prosecuting on behalf of the Attorney General of Ohio. The Bruen Court and R.C. §9.68 collectively bars the cities from prosecuting.
I don't know, but I bet you know the correct people to ask about that. You make it sound like a slam dunk that these cities don't dare try to prosecute. Would the prosecutor get arrested, charged, and sentenced to the Graybar Hotel for doing it?

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Would the prosecutor get arrested, charged, and sentenced to the Graybar Hotel for doing it?
So, you think Ohio AG Yost would ACTUALLY do that? :P :wink:
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

Brian D. wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:48 am
Bearable wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:35 pm How would Columbus or Cincinnati prosecute someone under their city ordinances? There is no analogous (comparable) state law. And the Ohio constitution under Article IV, §20 Says "all prosecutions shall be carried on, in the name, and by the authority, of the State of Ohio;" In other words, the city is prosecuting on behalf of the Attorney General of Ohio. The Bruen Court and R.C. §9.68 collectively bars the cities from prosecuting.
I don't know, but I bet you know the correct people to ask about that. You make it sound like a slam dunk that these cities don't dare try to prosecute. Would the prosecutor get arrested, charged, and sentenced to the Graybar Hotel for doing it?
The prosecutor for East Palestine, Ohio, in regards to the reporter that was arrested, passed the prosecution to the AG. The AG accepted. Can you say Hot Potato? Any prosecutor can pass any prosecution of any case to the AG. The AG can decline and, in effect, force the local prosecutor to act.
Berettas4me

Post by Berettas4me »

As Dday approaches, are any AR owners actually even bothering to get rid of their 30 rounders?
I dont even know how they pull this off.
They cant/wont go door to door looking for them. We can just take smaller mags to the range for now so they arent seen until this idiocy blows over.
So whats the game plan here by this idiotic city?
Just talk tough at law abiding AR owners knowing its all hot air?

My guess is IF this is allowed to stand for now that city counsel pushes it even further down the road.