S&W Equalizer

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

S&W Equalizer

Post by dustymedic »

I was browsing in an area gun store and saw a S&W Equalizer. I liked the features: 1) hammer fired, 2) EZ type slide, and 3) double stack magazine. I'm debating getting one for traveling since it's small enough for me to easily stash in my console and with the EZ slide should make it easy for my wife (who has very bad arthritis in one of her hand. Has anyone played around with one?
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
jeep45238

Re: S&W Equalizer

Post by jeep45238 »

It's essentially a dot compatible Shield EZ with a Shield Plus magazine.

And your car isn't a holster, please don't stash firearms in one.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

jeep45238 wrote:And your car isn't a holster...

My 2008 Pilot has a center console with both a top that swings up and back, and a door that swings down and forward. In that door is a molded compartment that I THINK is meant for a cell phone to slide into, but it happens to fit the slide on a variety of semi-autos quite well, holding the firearm with the muzzle pointing down and presenting the grip when you open the top of the console. Doesn't that technically make my car a holster? :mrgreen:
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
weakhand luke

Post by weakhand luke »

I'm thinking Jeep is correct again.

Dictionary sez..."Holster...: a leather or fabric case for carrying a firearm on the person (as on the hip or chest), on a saddle, or in a vehicle"

I carry my little Roscoe between my legs on the seat if it starts poking me sometimes.
dustymedic
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by dustymedic »

I do have a Console Vault installed in my center console.My volunteer gig has me frequently going into public safety facilities, so I do need to be able to secure it.
Somewhere, Darwin is crying...

Just remember, the largest mass murder in US history was committed with box cutters...
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

EricTheBald wrote:Doesn't that technically make my car a holster? :mrgreen:

No, your vehicle is not a holster. If you need temporary safe storage, then buy a cable lock security box for temporary storage while doing business during the day.

Don't leave your firearms in cars for any period of time that isn't necessary. You're taking high-value theft item (car) and sweetening the deal (leaving a gun) for someone who has no intention of legally using it.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

I have a holster mounted in my center console that is the quickest to get into action, much quicker than drawing from a seated position past a seat belt.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

tracker1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:52 pm I have a holster mounted in my center console that is the quickest to get into action, much quicker than drawing from a seated position past a seat belt.
The biggest problem with off-body carry in a vehicle is if you have to bail out there's a near 100% chance you will be separated from your sidearm.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

JustaShooter wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:54 pm
tracker1 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:52 pm I have a holster mounted in my center console that is the quickest to get into action, much quicker than drawing from a seated position past a seat belt.
The biggest problem with off-body carry in a vehicle is if you have to bail out there's a near 100% chance you will be separated from your sidearm.
And according to a few LE sources I know, and I want to preface this by saying this is not about people who carry in the car and take the gun with them when they get out, but the people who constantly leave a gun in a vehicle, are a big problem for LE in some areas.

"Car guns" or "truck guns", if left in the vehicle after the driver gets out are in some places the number one source for stolen firearms, in some locations more than residential or store thefts. These stolen firearms are then used by gang bangers (many of them teenagers) to rob or murder people, and then predictably the politicians and special interest groups start demanding gun bans, etc.

There are also some people who will carry a smaller gun on them, maybe like a pocket pistol, but carry a larger gun in the vehicle, so they leave the larger one when they get out of the car or truck. One LE source was complaining to me that many of the people who lose a gun in this way don't even bother to report it if the gun is a cheap one, like a Hi point or a taurus or SCCY. Even so, some report it simply because as one guy said, he needed a police report for his insurance so he could buy another "car gun". :(

There are occasions when I have to by law leave a gun in a car temporarily, but I have it secured and out of sight. Not that a thief couldn't used tools to steal it but I'm not going to make it easy for them.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

dustymedic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:59 pm I was browsing in an area gun store and saw a S&W Equalizer. I liked the features: 1) hammer fired, 2) EZ type slide, and 3) double stack magazine. I'm debating getting one for traveling since it's small enough for me to easily stash in my console and with the EZ slide should make it easy for my wife (who has very bad arthritis in one of her hand. Has anyone played around with one?
I wanted to at least handle and pull the trigger on one at the NRA convention in Indy but I didn't see S&W there this year. :?:
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

self deleted, dup post
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

M-Quigley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:31 am I wanted to at least handle and pull the trigger on one at the NRA convention in Indy but I didn't see S&W there this year. :?:
A friend of mine in the firearms industry, who was at the NRA event, said that some companies and individuals from that trade, are upset enough with Wayne LaPierre that they won't set up there until he's gone from the organization. He's not sure how true that is, so neither am I.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JEaton

Post by JEaton »

Brian D. wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:35 am
M-Quigley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:31 am I wanted to at least handle and pull the trigger on one at the NRA convention in Indy but I didn't see S&W there this year. :?:
A friend of mine in the firearms industry, who was at the NRA event, said that some companies and individuals from that trade, are upset enough with Wayne LaPierre that they won't set up there until he's gone from the organization. He's not sure how true that is, so neither am I.
I noticed the missing ones also. I reached out to the 4 Ohio NRA BOD members to see what they will tell me.

JLE
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

M-Quigley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:34 am According to a few LE sources I know, and I want to preface this by saying this is not about people who carry in the car and take the gun with them when they get out, but the people who constantly leave a gun in a vehicle, are a big problem for LE in some areas.

"Car guns" or "truck guns", if left in the vehicle after the driver gets out are in some places the number one source for stolen firearms, in some locations more than residential or store thefts. These stolen firearms are then used by gang bangers (many of them teenagers) to rob or murder people, and then predictably the politicians and special interest groups start demanding gun bans, etc.

There are also some people who will carry a smaller gun on them, maybe like a pocket pistol, but carry a larger gun in the vehicle, so they leave the larger one when they get out of the car or truck. One LE source was complaining to me that many of the people who lose a gun in this way don't even bother to report it if the gun is a cheap one, like a Hi point or a taurus or SCCY. Even so, some report it simply because as one guy said, he needed a police report for his insurance so he could buy another "car gun". :(

There are occasions when I have to by law leave a gun in a car temporarily, but I have it secured and out of sight. Not that a thief couldn't used tools to steal it but I'm not going to make it easy for them.
I would never leave a gun in a car unless I absolutely had to for some reason. I could never live with myself thinking my gun was in the hands of a bad guy. My dad and older brother were LEOs and many other I know, so it would be a very rare occurrence. It would be secured in a special box fastened a special way. Right now I can’t even think of the last time I did it.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

tracker1 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:06 pm I would never leave a gun in a car unless I absolutely had to for some reason. I could never live with myself thinking my gun was in the hands of a bad guy. My dad and older brother were LEOs and many other I know, so it would be a very rare occurrence. It would be secured in a special box fastened a special way. Right now I can’t even think of the last time I did it.
In my experience that's an unrealistic attitude, too much guilt. I once had a gun stolen out of the locked, diamondplate aluminum lockbox attached across the bed of my pickup truck. That took a serious pry bar to achieve.

I notified the local police to report the crime. Made sure to tell them it was an AR-15. They were meh about the type of gun. At first they weren't even filling out a report. That got me mad, and demanding a sergeant. Then, they didn't bother to enter its description and serial number into the National Crime Information Center database until I raised serious hell with their chief several days later. THEY DIDN'T CARE, WHY SHOULD I?

I had put the gun in that box the night before going to my gun club. Why, you ask? So that my neighbors didn't see me hauling that long gun case to my vehicle in broad daylight. You spin the wheel and live with what comes up.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.