Domestic violence & Aggravated Menacing

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

sec43206

Domestic violence & Aggravated Menacing

Post by sec43206 »

Hi im new here i have been searching for answers on this question but cant seem to find anything with clear answers

long story short i was charged with domestic violence threats and aggravated menacing charges after a dispute with a narcissistic family member

I plead guilty to aggravated menacing to have domestic violence threats dismissed in efforts to get this case over with and also protect my gun rights

my question is am i federally barred from purchasing firearms in the future?

all help is greatly appreciated thank you
Cosmos
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Domestic violence & Aggravated Menacing

Post by Cosmos »

You plead guilty to an Offense of Violence: https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Fil ... f-Violence

I recommend consulting with an attorney to determine if your gun rights are affected.
NRA Benefactor
If the police are not present to stop a crime they are just armed historians.
A 1911 beats 9-1-1 every time.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's razor
sec43206

Post by sec43206 »

thanks for the reply im currently saving money to ask a gun lawyer im kinda just wondering what to expect so i figured i try here first

it is my understanding that its a 3 year ban in ohio but im just wondering on the federal level
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The issue is that although you were not convicted of DV, you pled guilty to an offense of violence, and since it involved a family member it had a domestic component which will be visible when your background check is run. I believe you are both prohibited under Federal and Ohio law.

Get a *good* gun law attorney, and see what your options are.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Agg. Men. ages out. I'm not sure DV does.

The last time I renewed, an Agg. Men. conviction aged out after 3 years, but they did change the form in a subtle way that means you have to watch out for that question.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
sec43206

Post by sec43206 »

@EricTheBald i was interested in dming you to ask you juss a few more questions to ease my mind if thats okay
sec43206

Post by sec43206 »

Basically my main concern is clearing a federal background check in the future if i choose to purchase a firearm at the dealer after my 3 years is up
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

EricTheBald wrote:Agg. Men. ages out. I'm not sure DV does.
DV does not.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

sec43206 wrote:Basically my main concern is clearing a federal background check in the future if i choose to purchase a firearm at the dealer after my 3 years is up
It's my understanding that during the NICS check for certain offenses (like Agg. Menacing and Disorderly Conduct) they are now looking at the details behind the conviction to see if there was a domestic component and denying the transfer if they find one. Essentially, they are treating it as DV even though you weren't convicted of DV.

Again, talk to a good gun law attorney to discus your options. If at all possible, get the record sealed/expunged.
NRA Life Member

EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

sec43206 wrote:@EricTheBald i was interested in dming you to ask you juss a few more questions to ease my mind if thats okay
Sure, go ahead.

FWIW, I had an Agg.Men. conviction in the mid-90’s, and it hasn’t been an issue for me.

It also should never been a conviction, because it was self-defense and I didn’t even need to shoot the dumbass, But I didn’t have the financial means to hire a lawyer who was worth a damn.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
sec43206

Post by sec43206 »

Thank for all the help guys i plan on reporting back sometime in the future to let yall know how things turn out maybe it will help others with the same question