Loaded My first 5.56 Rounds!

To learn and introduce new loaders. Tips and tricks from old timers.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

synack2

Loaded My first 5.56 Rounds!

Post by synack2 »

So Far I have loaded 380, 38/357, and 9MM so it was time to attempt an AR-15 5.56 Round

I used Soft Tip 55Grain Bullets from Everglades ammo. I didn't have any load data for that specific bullet, so I picked the closest one and went 1/10 under the minimum. And is said 2.180 was the minimum OAL so I went 2.220. I did 22.0 Grains of Accurate 2230. I only had small rifle magnum primers, so that is what I used. They all fired, I didn't blow up my gun and they felt a little lighter than my factory rounds, but they all cycled fine in my 10.5" SBR. Now I have a starting point.

I used Lee case lube, resized and de-primed. Then I had to get a case trimmer die from Lee and I trimmed them all to 1.750. I used the Lee de-burring and chamfer tool, and I loaded them up. I checked them all with a case gauge.

Rifle rounds are definitely a bigger pain the the butt to reload.

For my next test I am going to seat them to 2.200 and add a 1/10 of a grain of powder and see how that goes.
Carry everyday everywhere you legally can. I carry a Ruger LCP2 or a Glock 42. Find me on YouTube as FrugalPrepper
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Loaded My first 5.56 Rounds!

Post by Javelin Man »

Very good! I've reloaded some .222 Remington loads with success, I reckon .556 wouldn't too much different.
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Dave Shooter

Re: Loaded My first 5.56 Rounds!

Post by Dave Shooter »

I've loaded 24 pounds of 2230 into 556 rounds. It's a great powder for that application.