Richmond Heights confiscation of firearms in violation of 9.

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
GWC

Richmond Heights confiscation of firearms in violation of 9.

Post by GWC »

Richmond heights just passed a gun confiscation law if one is convicted of a misdemeanor charge.

This clearly violates 9.68.

https://www.news-herald.com/2022/09/30/ ... newsletter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The police are not here to create disorder. They are here to preserve disorder".
Mayor Richard Daley, 1968

I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.
docachna

Re: Richmond Heights confiscation of firearms in violation o

Post by docachna »

The new law is currently in effect and other municipalities have adopted similar laws as well.

“The forfeiture laws were revised about 10 years ago and a municipality’s ability to create a forfeiture penalty was expressly reserved by the state to the municipalities,” Cicero said. “You could have a forfeiture for the misdemeanor and the state has reserved that for cities and villages.”
Wonder what exactly he is talking about that was "expressly reserved by the state to the municipalities", as well as other municipalities that have similar laws. I can guarantee you if it was permissible, Cleveland would have been way, way ahead of Richmond Heights.

Assuming that he's full of it, and assuming it's challenged, and assuming RH loses, don't they pay the prevailing party's attorney fees ? If so, isn't this something the taxpayers in RH ought to know NOW ???
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Brian D.

Re: Richmond Heights confiscation of firearms in violation o

Post by Brian D. »

Man, I wish ORC 9.68 had painful, expensive enforcement "teeth".
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.