Texas concealed carry law ruled unconstitutional

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xb0210

Texas concealed carry law ruled unconstitutional

Post by xb0210 »

A federal judge ruled that 18-20 year old's have a right to carry concealed handguns in public. Now I support this nationwide but I wonder how people older then 21 feel about this I know there are many people on this forum that provide training for firearms and have a lot more interaction with this age group and I'm wondering what peoples opinion is on this. ( I think I am allowed to post this here but im not sure)
EricTheBald

Re: Texas concealed carry law ruled unconstitutional

Post by EricTheBald »

Generally speaking, young men mature a LOT between 18 and 21.

Those ages were never arbitrary, and they go a LOT further back in history than most people know.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

One is either an adult with all the rights and responsibilities or one isn't. Pick an age and stick with it. This different ages for different stuff is nonsense.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WY_Not wrote:One is either an adult with all the rights and responsibilities or one isn't. Pick an age and stick with it. This different ages for different stuff is nonsense.
How old must one be to rent a car these days? I know, it's not regulated by any law, but by the rental companies themselves. Just a slightly off topic question. Don't want to cause thread drift.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Apples and oranges. That is a company policy. Set by a private company.
Brian D. wrote:
WY_Not wrote:One is either an adult with all the rights and responsibilities or one isn't. Pick an age and stick with it. This different ages for different stuff is nonsense.
How old must one be to rent a car these days? I know, it's not regulated by any law, but by the rental companies themselves. Just a slightly off topic question. Don't want to cause thread drift.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

It's amusing that on one hand they say 18 year Olds shouldn't be able to do certain things because they aren't mature enough, then on the other hand say they want to reduce the voting age and allow grade school kids to change genders.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote:
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 in most U.S. states. In New York and Michigan, you can rent a car at 18. Most rental car companies require an additional daily surcharge for drivers under 25.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

By law or by company policy? Honestly curious as I have not been anywhere near any of those ages in a while.
JustaShooter wrote:
Brian D. wrote:
The minimum age to rent a car is 21 in most U.S. states. In New York and Michigan, you can rent a car at 18. Most rental car companies require an additional daily surcharge for drivers under 25.
Pick an age. One is either a LEGAL adult or one is not.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

EricTheBald wrote:Those ages were never arbitrary, and they go a LOT further back in history than most people know.
I'd enjoy hearing more about this, because it certainly seems arbitrary on it's face (which is my admission to not knowing the history).

Used to be that farmers were done with public school at 16. They may prefer long guns, to be sure, but it seems many are responsible enough to have a firearm handy.

The history and the thinking behind the culture at the time that these limits were set are certainly different than today's nihilistic, zombified, dumbed-down teens.

On the whole, any ruling that increases Rights (at any age) is to be commended. This whole line of reasoning that legally prohibiting the possession of firearms will lead to a safer / more moral or religious society, is ludicrous. The State should be protecting our Rights, not restricting them.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:By law or by company policy? Honestly curious as I have not been anywhere near any of those ages in a while.
21 by company policy, except in NY and MI where by law it is 18.
WY_Not wrote:Pick an age. One is either a LEGAL adult or one is not.
While you may wish it to be so, it isn't and hasn't been since certain things were lowered from 21 to 18 - mostly because the draft started at 18, and there were national movements to lower certain ages from the traditional 21 to 18 - voting and drinking, most notably.

Quite honestly, I'd be perfectly fine with the age of majority being set at 21 across the board where it was for the majority of US history. Anyone who has spent much time with persons, especially males, between the ages of 18 and 21 can attest to the tremendous amount of maturing they do in those 3 years.

Yes, I know some are more mature at 18 than the majority are at 21, but if we must pick a single age then the right way is to pick an age where most are mature enough, not an age where a few are.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

If someone is old enough to vote and old enough to potentially be drafted to carry weapons in defense of this nation, then they are old enough to carry a firearm in defense of themselves and their family.

If they aren't old enough for one they aren't old enough for the others. This should be basic logic and protects basic human rights.
Nobody should be eligible for the draft to potentially die in a war if they aren't also old enough to vote for the people who put them there. It should go without saying that self defense is a basic human right.

This should be as basic of an understanding as no taxation without representation... but here we are.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
10 U.S. Code § 246 - Militia: composition and classes

(a)The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b)The classes of the militia are—

(1)the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2)the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yep. Just pick an age at which someone is a legal adult. Before X you are a child. After X you can vote, be drafted and die, buy/drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, enter into legally binding contracts, own and carry firearms, etc, etc.
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

bignflnut wrote: Used to be that farmers were done with public school at 16. They may prefer long guns, to be sure, but it seems many are responsible enough to have a firearm handy.
Amish and conservative Mennonite go through 8th grade and then are expected to get a job. I cannot tell you how many multi-million dollar businesses in Wayne and Holmes counties are run and owned by men with 8th grade eductions. They also serve on hospital boards and work with other mission-minded charities that are well-run and quite wealthy.

It isn't the age; it's in the up-bringing. The English (we who are non-Amish) don't seem to be doing as well overall.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
sunfish valley

Post by sunfish valley »

If a person of 18 is tried and convicted in a court of law as an adult, then anyone 18 yoa or older is an adult. And have all rights and privileges of an adult. My opinion.
SUNFISHVALLEYCCW
NRA MEMBER
NRA INSTRUCTOR
NRA RSO
Ohio Hunter Education Instructor