The purchase of a gun from another person

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

burgman2170

The purchase of a gun from another person

Post by burgman2170 »

So i have always purchased a gun from a gun shop where they did a background check and all was fine as I have never been in trouble with the law and never will.

So this guy down the street wants to sell his Glock 9 mm because he has a kid wife doesn't want a gun in the house and so on. I said okay how much do you want for the gun? He said $400. Good price I said I have a 9 mm but I may take it.

Now the problem is he didn't buy the gun from a dealer he bought it from some other guy and who knows how many times it has been bought and sold. Was the gun used in an offense? How would I know?

Buy a gun from an individual is well your at risk. I know many buddies who do not buy guns at dealers as they are expensive and you can get a better deal buying them from an individual. Since I never taken this avenue before what or how should I do the transaction?
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: The purchase of a gun from another person

Post by Aesinsp »

As much as I’d want to talk him OUT of what he’s doing.. I’d lay out the cash if you feel it’s a good deal (sounds like it is).
If not, send him my way :)
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

burgman2170 wrote:Since I never taken this avenue before what or how should I do the transaction?
No need to overthink it. In Ohio, it's simple: You hand him the cash, he hands you the Glock. Done. As long as you are legally able to possess the firearm in question, of course. Now, if the seller wants to see ID to make sure you are an Ohio resident and over 21, that's reasonable and when people don't know each other, even expected.

The only risk you assume is if the gun was stolen, then when that comes to light you'd lose the gun. Otherwise there's really nothing to worry about.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Do you have the serial#? Took a picture? Ohio has a searchable stolen gun data base if you're interested...

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/stolengun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know how often this database is updated or if it includes stolen in Ohio only.

I'd presume the fellow wouldn't mind the generic search otherwise you are buying THEN checking.
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

WhyNot wrote:Do you have the serial#? Took a picture? Ohio has a searchable stolen gun data base if you're interested...

https://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/stolengun" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know how often this database is updated or if it includes stolen in Ohio only.
My understanding (and limited personal experience) indicates that for many LE agencies, adding stolen gun information to that database is a low priority.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
welshj

Post by welshj »

https://www.hotgunz.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is another online resource, I believe that it's updated by voluntary submission.
Six months in Bosnian conflict in '98.
Two tours in Iraq '03-'04 & '05-'06
Currently deploying daily to toledo, oh! :)