Constitutional Carry Bill

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Constitutional Carry Bill

Post by AzRanger »

I just emailed Gov. DeWine and asked him when he's going to sign the CC bill!

I urge everyone to do the same! Flood his email with this!!

AzRanger
God made man, Colt made them equal
pirateguy191

Re: Constitutional Carry Bill

Post by pirateguy191 »

Did he get a bill yet?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AzRanger wrote:I just emailed Gov. DeWine and asked him when he's going to sign the CC bill!

I urge everyone to do the same! Flood his email with this!!
He doesn't have a bill to sign yet - the House passed one bill, the Senate passed a *different* bill with different wording. For a bill to proceed to the Governor they must be the same bill with the same language passed by both the House and Senate.

The next thing that needs to happen is the Senate must passs the House bill, or the House pass the Senate bill - if one of those happens without any changes to the wording *then* a bill can go to DeWine.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Klingon00

Post by Klingon00 »

Anyone have any insight on how likely one or the other may happen and if so, how soon? Anything we can do to help it move along?
MarkTC01

Post by MarkTC01 »

Any news on the progress of this bill? I will probably still get my CHL, for out of state travel.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

MarkTC01 wrote:Any news on the progress of this bill? I will probably still get my CHL, for out of state travel.
No change, we are still waiting for them to move one of the two different bills through the other chamber. Not sure when they might pick this back up - I had hoped they would get one bill through both chambers and on DeWine's desk before the primary, but that's looking less and less likely.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

I don't even know if it's a valid issue, but sure seems enough of a concern to me. Does anyone know if OGA (R) considered this? Re: the last few postings with the legal wrangle-explanation...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95679&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WhyNot wrote:I don't even know if it's a valid issue, but sure seems enough of a concern to me. Does anyone know if OGA (R) considered this? Re: the last few postings with the legal wrangle-explanation...

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95679&start=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thank you :)
They've been made aware of the issue, and a suggested amendment (pretty simple) to fix the issue. We'll see what happens when they take it back up.
NRA Life Member

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

that's wonderful thnx :)
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Okay so it passed but now DeWine has yet to sign it. I've heard that he has until Wednesday and if he doesn't sign it it'll go into effect anyway. I've heard also it's veto proof.

ANYONE???
God made man, Colt made them equal
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

AzRanger wrote:Okay so it passed but now DeWine has yet to sign it. I've heard that he has until Wednesday and if he doesn't sign it it'll go into effect anyway. I've heard also it's veto proof.

ANYONE???
In Ohio, when a bill passes both the House and Senate, the Governor has 10 days not counting Sundays from when he receives the bill to either sign or veto it. If he does neither, the bill becomes law without his signature.

The bill did not pass with a veto proof majority. In Ohio to override a veto takes 3/5 majority of the seats each in both the House and Senate. The bill did not pass with 3/5 (60 votes) in the House - there were, however, a half-dozen or so reps that did not vote. I do not know how many were pro-constitutional carry, if any, that did not vote for whatever reason.

On a similar note, unlike how it may work elsewhere there is technically no "veto-proof" majority in that a veto override is automatic. They must still hold a vote to override, and sometimes those that vote for a bill are unwilling to vote to override.
NRA Life Member

kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

AzRanger wrote:Okay so it passed but now DeWine has yet to sign it.
In my book, it did not pass because what passed is not constitutional carry. It is more like CHL Lite with a sprinkle of no gotcha notification requirement.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

kcclark wrote:
AzRanger wrote:Okay so it passed but now DeWine has yet to sign it.
In my book, it did not pass because what passed is not constitutional carry. It is more like CHL Lite with a sprinkle of no gotcha notification requirement.
The original bill proposed was also not Constitutional Carry. It was Unlicensed Carry, and what passed was Unlicensed Carry Lite. Still a step forward, and I hope it becomes law all the same.
NRA Life Member

iam1096

Post by iam1096 »

Well he signed it today! Best thing about the bill you don’t have to notify law-enforcement when being pulled over. But I fast you have to answer truthfully. Did not see when it went goes into effect.
docachna

Post by docachna »

iam1096 wrote:Well he signed it today! Best thing about the bill you don’t have to notify law-enforcement when being pulled over. But I fast you have to answer truthfully. Did not see when it went goes into effect.
Wouldn't requiring a truthful answer run afoul of that pesky Fifth Amendment ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE