Constitutional Carry out of state

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rexles

Constitutional Carry out of state

Post by rexles »

If Constitutional Carry passes in Ohio, will we be able to carry outside of Ohio without a valid CHL?
Will we be able to carry in other states that have adopted CC without a valid Ohio CHL?
I can not seem to find any answers on the net. Please include proof for your answers.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Constitutional Carry out of state

Post by schmieg »

rexles wrote:If Constitutional Carry passes in Ohio, will we be able to carry outside of Ohio without a valid CHL?
Will we be able to carry in other states that have adopted CC without a valid Ohio CHL?
I can not seem to find any answers on the net. Please include proof for your answers.
Only in those states which allow Constitutional Carry for non-residents. For proof, look at the state laws for the state you want to carry in without a license.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

As I understand it, the current CCL will not be going away, it just won't be necessary within the borders of Ohio, provided that you are not otherwise barred from possessing firearms.
If you go outside the State, then you are subject to the laws of whatever State you're in.

It's sort of like how States can have different CDL rules for truck drivers that are purely Intrastate, but if you are doing Interstate trucking, you pretty much have to comply with USDOT rules, as expressed through your licensing State.

I personally will continue to renew my CCL due to the Interstate carry licensing that comes with it, and if we ever DO get a National CCL, it will probably mirror the Driver's License program in that your State will issue the license, not the Feds.
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

EricTheBald wrote:As I understand it, the current CCL will not be going away, it just won't be necessary within the borders of Ohio, provided that you are not otherwise barred from possessing firearms.
If you go outside the State, then you are subject to the laws of whatever State you're in.

It's sort of like how States can have different CDL rules for truck drivers that are purely Intrastate, but if you are doing Interstate trucking, you pretty much have to comply with USDOT rules, as expressed through your licensing State.

I personally will continue to renew my CCL due to the Interstate carry licensing that comes with it, and if we ever DO get a National CCL, it will probably mirror the Driver's License program in that your State will issue the license, not the Feds.
If the feds ever tried to set up a federal licensing program, it would be ungainly, very expensive and probably very exclusive as well as subject to congressional whims every few years. I think the anti-gun people would support it so they could limit or eliminate concealed carry down the road.

Much better would be a federal requirement that all states must honor other states' licenses. There would be constitutional challenges to that (remember, the driver's license reciprocity is done through an interstate compact, not federal law), but there are arguments that might overcome those challenges based upon the Second Amendment, the 19th Amendment and the interstate commerce clause.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
rexles

Post by rexles »

I am sure we will NEVER see a nation wide CC. Too many liberal states that would never go for that.
I will continue to keep renewing my CHL as well. My next one will be free since I am a Vet.
I was just curious why CC was such a big deal since there will more than likely be restrictions on carrying outside Ohio.
Yes, I get the 2nd Amendment argument that we should not NEED a license, but that ship has sailed.
Thanks to all who answered.
Never pick a fight with an old man. If he can’t beat you he’ll just kill you!

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. Thomas Jefferson

SHOOT SMART NW OHIO LLC NRA Certified Instructor, Home Firearm Safety, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home

NRA Life Member, MVGCA,Tri-State Gun Collectors, OFCC, Patriot Guard Member.
Texian

Post by Texian »

rexles wrote:I am sure we will NEVER see a nation wide CC. Too many liberal states that would never go for that.
I will continue to keep renewing my CHL as well. My next one will be free since I am a Vet.
I was just curious why CC was such a big deal since there will more than likely be restrictions on carrying outside Ohio.
Yes, I get the 2nd Amendment argument that we should not NEED a license, but that ship has sailed.
Thanks to all who answered.
I think it tells the Federal Government and other States that we respect the exercise of our citizens right to protect themselves when away from home without having to get permission to exercise a Constitutional Right.
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

ARTICLE IV

Section. 2.
The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

Amendment XIV

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I still find it disingenuous that I can carry in most government buildings and offices in Kentucky, either because of my Ohio issued license, or just by the nature of Kentucky having Constitutional carry. That state has never vetted me. They just trust that Ohio has done that properly.

And that trust may be unwisely placed, given that many Clerk of Courts offices around Ohio are over a year behind recording disqualifying convictions into the criminal databases.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.