Had to draw against 3 people

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

rmoreaux11

Had to draw against 3 people

Post by rmoreaux11 »

Last weekend I had to draw my weapon against 3 people who surrounded my convertible with my top down, right down the street from my house. They were threatening to beat my butt and pull me out of my car. They were drunk and high as hell. One of them opened my passenger car door and grabbed my shoulder at that point I pulled my gun on them. I called the police and they said I did the right thing but didn't charge those guys. Forgive me if I'm wrong but 3 guys trying to attack me and block my car from going forward unless I run one of them over and one guy actually opening my car door, isn't that attempted car jacking or something a lot worse than the disorderly conduct that the police said they could charge them with. I'm not a healthy person and my heart is falling really bad and I wouldn't survive getting beaten by 3 guys. I was very close to pulling the trigger when that guy grabbed me while I was in my car. The entire legal {inappropriate language} was the only thing that stopped my even though I was in fear for my life as I can't defend myself against 3 people on 3 different sides of my car without running one of them over and my tiny car couldn't have done that. What would you have done in that situation and I believe the law states as soon as he breached my car I could use any force needed. I'm not up to date with all of the new laws. Sadly this happened on my street and I'm fearful these guys will try to find me and hurt me. I kept the story short and ty the point as it's rather long. I am still in disbelief that the officers said they couldn't charge them with anything more. The Lt. That I talked to said he knew this guys well as they are always in trouble.
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Re: Had to draw against 3 people

Post by Javelin Man »

I suppose that if you had actually pulled the trigger and hit one, then that is felony assault, but a charge levied against the other two as they were in the process of assault on you.

But, IANAL. Thank you for sharing your experience so we may learn from it. What county/city was this in so we can expect this kid glove treatment to other criminals?

Oh, and WELCOME! to the forums! :)
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
rmoreaux11

Post by rmoreaux11 »

How would that be felonious assault on my part when the guy opened my car door and grabbed me. 3 against one when I'm in a small car and cannot get away from the unless I run over one of them. Doesn't make much sense to me. What is the point of carrying to protect yourself if you cannot protect yourself without being charged with felonious assault. Doesn't the casle doctrine apply to your vehicle. If I remember correctly it does and buy opening the door and grabbing me that's entering my vehicle to cause me harm. Where would I find information that a regular citizen can understand about the laws regarding this.
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Relax, Francis. :D He was saying the charge would be applied to them. As they were involved in committing a crime. As when during a bank robbery something goes wrong and someone get shot, even the getaway driver outside can be charged with the shooting.
rmoreaux11 wrote:How would that be felonious assault on my part when the guy opened my car door and grabbed me. 3 against one when I'm in a small car and cannot get away from the unless I run over one of them. Doesn't make much sense to me. What is the point of carrying to protect yourself if you cannot protect yourself without being charged with felonious assault. Doesn't the casle doctrine apply to your vehicle. If I remember correctly it does and buy opening the door and grabbing me that's entering my vehicle to cause me harm. Where would I find information that a regular citizen can understand about the laws regarding this.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
rmoreaux11

Post by rmoreaux11 »

WHERE"S FRANCIS!!! :lol:

Ok, that makes more sense, but I am still shocked that the officers said that they could only charge them with disorderly conduct. Has anyone bought a cheap body cam to wear when going out and carrying. Still trying to find a user friendly copy of the current laws.

WY_Not wrote:Relax, Francis. :D He was saying the charge would be applied to them. As they were involved in committing a crime. As when during a bank robbery something goes wrong and someone get shot, even the getaway driver outside can be charged with the shooting.
rmoreaux11 wrote:How would that be felonious assault on my part when the guy opened my car door and grabbed me. 3 against one when I'm in a small car and cannot get away from the unless I run over one of them. Doesn't make much sense to me. What is the point of carrying to protect yourself if you cannot protect yourself without being charged with felonious assault. Doesn't the casle doctrine apply to your vehicle. If I remember correctly it does and buy opening the door and grabbing me that's entering my vehicle to cause me harm. Where would I find information that a regular citizen can understand about the laws regarding this.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Welcome. Spend some time here reading those sections of the forums.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
502ci
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by 502ci »

At the very least get a forward and reverse camera for your dash. Will record out front and what is happening to you at the same time.
Nothing to see here...move along.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

Vantrue N2 Pro is the dashcam I have. Rear facing lens records in the dark. FYI: N2 is not the same as N2 Pro.

Link is so you can read about it. Might be somewhere cheaper to buy it.

https://www.vantrue.net/Goods/detail/gi ... s/p/5.html
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Dash cam is definitely something you should invest in.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

I just want to support what others have said about having a dash cam. My wife and I had an incident in Florida where she had to pull her handgun and we didn't have a dash cam. We did have plenty of witnesses and the guy who was the reason for all this didn't try to complain about it, and we didn't get into any legal issues over it, but we could have, particularly if he hadn't drove away. The guy acted pretty crazy until he saw a gun being pulled. Apparently he wasn't crazy enough to not care about being shot. :roll:
A dash cam could've potentially provided proof of the why we did what we did, it wouldn't have just our word versus his of what happened.

Dash cams have the ability to turn on or off audio recording. I have mine on just in case because sometimes what someone says to you is as important as what they or you are doing. if they are not honest to the cops or others in what they said to you. An audio recording saved me and the company that i worked for once from getting fired and sued and being forever labeled a racist.