Recommended Ranges in OH - Pistols, Rifles

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Obese_Olaf

Recommended Ranges in OH - Pistols, Rifles

Post by Obese_Olaf »

As the title says - are there any decent, reasonably - priced ranges here in OH?

Back where I moved from, there was a 800 - yard rifle range that was built in part with grant money from the NRA (?) - $10 for the whole day, and all you needed to show was your NRA card.

Here in OH, rates seem to go BY THE HOUR!

Imagine my shock when I was quoted rates of $15 an hour for an indoor pistol range...

If my price expectations are unrealistic, then I'd settle for whatever ranges you'd recommend :?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Recommended Ranges in OH - Pistols, Rifles

Post by JustaShooter »

Yeah, that's about the going rate for indoor ranges around here.

But, there are other options - become a member of a range like Tusco Rifle club and shoot as much as you want for the annual membership fee (in the case of Tusco, $100/year). There are also Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) ranges you can shoot at, as I recall you can get an annual pass for $25 or a single-day pass for $5 for the supervised ranges, and unsupervised ranges are free.

Beyond that, unless you know someone with property you can shoot at, that's about it.

Where are you located, someone might be able to give more specific recommendations.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Obese_Olaf

Post by Obese_Olaf »

I’m currently hovering around Akron (Summit / Cuyahoga Falls).

One spot I’m eyeing is Thunder Valley Precision - but I think they’re pricey as well.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It appears Olaf is moving to the yuckiest part of the state --the northeast quadrant. :lol: More specifically around Cuyahoga Falls.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Obese_Olaf wrote:I’m currently hovering around Akron (Summit / Cuyahoga Falls).
Grand River ODNR range might be an option then - it isn't too far, and the price is more than reasonable: https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr ... ting-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Obese_Olaf

Post by Obese_Olaf »

Brian D. wrote:It appears Olaf is moving to the yuckiest part of the state --the northeast quadrant. :lol: More specifically around Cuyahoga Falls.
Yeeep.

There was this apartment complex I was considering in the area at one point - only to find that there was a wastewater processing facility within walking distance north!!!
JustaShooter wrote:
Obese_Olaf wrote:I’m currently hovering around Akron (Summit / Cuyahoga Falls).
Grand River ODNR range might be an option then - it isn't too far, and the price is more than reasonable: https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/odnr ... ting-range" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The DNR! Didn't think about that...

What's the general impression about public ranges in these parts?

I did read somewhere that safety was a big failing.
Obese_Olaf

Post by Obese_Olaf »

Hey!

My posts don't need to be screened anymore!!!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The public Class A ranges have safety officers. At the rest you're on your own, and need to bring targets, stands, etc.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
AzRanger
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by AzRanger »

Obese_Olaf wrote:As the title says - are there any decent, reasonably - priced ranges here in OH?

Back where I moved from, there was a 800 - yard rifle range that was built in part with grant money from the NRA (?) - $10 for the whole day, and all you needed to show was your NRA card.

Here in OH, rates seem to go BY THE HOUR!

Imagine my shock when I was quoted rates of $15 an hour for an indoor pistol range...

If my price expectations are unrealistic, then I'd settle for whatever ranges you'd recommend :?

Sherwin Shooting sports On Vine St. in Eastlake is $15.00 for unlimited time as well as First Strike in Newbury.

Sherwins is 33140 Vine St, Eastlake Ohio 440 942-8636
First Strike is 12375 Kinsman Rd. Newbury, Ohio 440 739-4047
God made man, Colt made them equal
Obese_Olaf

Post by Obese_Olaf »

Thanks!

I'll need to give those areas a closer look :)
HDMI

Post by HDMI »

Brian D. wrote:The public Class A ranges have safety officers. At the rest you're on your own, and need to bring targets, stands, etc.
\Not sure if mine are still screened... LONG time member but had a PC crash a while back...
noffinater

Post by noffinater »

Vance Outdoors in Columbus (Obetz) is a nice indoor range. Clean. Modern, electric target carriers. They have a dozen or so rifle bays and a couple dozen pistol bays. They have a particularly good “happy hour” Tues-Thurs 2pm-5pm which is 1-hour for $10. I shoot there several times a year and always have a good time.
Francosonny1120

Post by Francosonny1120 »

For a long time I didn't go to an indoor range because I thought I was above it. Well I tried it out and I couldn't be happier with my membership. While I can't do all the fun stuff I can still work on a lot of the fundamentals, and now I will make sure to work in these drills too!