48 Days and Counting...Richland County

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Engineer_X

48 Days and Counting...Richland County

Post by Engineer_X »

48 days since I've applied. Richland County. Zero communication initiated from Sheriff's office. I decided to give them a call to check the status...they told me they were still waiting for my fingerprints - whatever that means. I gave them my prints as part of the application process. I've done plenty of background checks in the past which required my fingerprints to be run by Ohio BCI...results come back the next day.

I mentioned it being 45 days...they said something about holidays...and I just didn't want to argue with them. Pretty sure those guys think they have 45 business days...or 45 days from when they get the fingerprints back...or 45 days from whenever they had their last meal...and in reality...they sort of do, since there are no consequences for the Sheriff department failing to follow the law.

Other than some traffic tickets - maybe 4 or 5 since 1990...and none in the last 3 years - I'm squeaky clean. No arrests, no convictions. Ever.

I honestly don't feel like a civil conversation with the Sheriff's department will be productive in any way. I could cite reasons for this, but not sure how much of that type of talk is allowed here.

So my question is this...is it possible for me to ask for a refund of my application fee, and I can just sort of cancel this application and go file another application in a more friendly county? Is it even possible to apply in another county at this point? Does anybody have any advice for me? Is there any recourse short of hiring an attorney?

Right now my strategy is sit, wait, cross fingers, and hope for the best. Doesn't feel like a good strategy to take in regards to the safety of my family. If a week or so goes by, I might try to just go in to the office and ask in a very quiet, mild and meek tone-of-voice for a refund of my application money, so that I can go try someplace else.

I've read all kinds of stories on here....folks get their license in 2 hours, 2 days, 2 weeks, 2 months....doesn't appear to be much consistency. I'm at 48 days and counting. If anybody has the ability to use any department other than Richland County...I would strongly advise them to do so.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: 48 Days and Counting...Richland County

Post by JustaShooter »

I don't think you can get your fee back, and I'm not aware of any method to "un-file" your application.

As I understand it, the only actual recourse is a writ of mandamus - which, you can file without a lawyer. Check with the clerk of courts on the paperwork required, and the fee (which is probably minimal). As soon as they hear the writ is filed, they will likely issue the license.

As far as that goes, the simple threat of a writ would likely magically make them issue the license. That might be a simpler and easier approach - make that confrontational call and tell them they have no choice after 45 calendar days but to issue the license or deny for cause in writing. If they won't agree for you to come and pick up the license immediately, tell them to transfer you to the clerk of courts so you can begin the process to file the writ of mandamus.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

We need a compliance coordinator.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

pirateguy191 wrote:We need a compliance coordinator.
This is me, wishing MWSY was still active. :(
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
docachna

Post by docachna »

Is there any AG opinion out there about the 45-day requirement that he can toss at them in an e-mail and perhaps get somebody off their keister ?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Gramps
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Gramps »

JustaShooter wrote:
pirateguy191 wrote:We need a compliance coordinator.
This is me, wishing MWSY was still active. :(
MYSY (he says not but I think he is modest) I think made a call to the Sheriffs office to get my CCW done in the time required by law.
I have not always been the man I am now and have no disqualifying arrests or convictions.
I think about 60 plus days to get my CCW
Gramps

Follower of Christ. Love and protect my wife, kids and grand kids..

* TRUMP 2020 *
> No Masks On This Face | All Lives Matter | It's Okay To Be White <
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JustaShooter wrote:I don't think you can get your fee back, and I'm not aware of any method to "un-file" your application.

As I understand it, the only actual recourse is a writ of mandamus - which, you can file without a lawyer. Check with the clerk of courts on the paperwork required, and the fee (which is probably minimal). As soon as they hear the writ is filed, they will likely issue the license.

As far as that goes, the simple threat of a writ would likely magically make them issue the license. That might be a simpler and easier approach - make that confrontational call and tell them they have no choice after 45 calendar days but to issue the license or deny for cause in writing. If they won't agree for you to come and pick up the license immediately, tell them to transfer you to the clerk of courts so you can begin the process to file the writ of mandamus.
^^^^^^THIS works,... Cuyahoga mailed it that day after call from my attorney.
Black Rifles Matter
Engineer_X

Post by Engineer_X »

Just wanted to give everybody an update. I ended up getting the call for pickup. So right around 50 days. They were pleasant.

I appreciate the responses.