Leg holster

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Kardar2

Leg holster

Post by Kardar2 »

What is you take on leg holster for open carry For coats and jackets in the winter? Thanks
Brian D.

Re: Leg holster

Post by Brian D. »

They certainly keep a handgun visible, provided you don't favor Old West duster length coats. But can be tougher to protect against a gun grab attempt, depending on where you are, whether you're standing or seated, etc. I wouldn't use one that didn't feature a positive retention device.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

Like Brian said.

I don't recall seeing any one regularly carrying that way, not saying no one does.

I don't use . or even have one and have never even tried one, so my opinion isn't really worth much if I were to offer one.

I just use a good strong paddle holster with a forward can't.....somewhat.
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".
johnwilliamson062

Post by johnwilliamson062 »

Generally, drop leg or thigh holsters are not designed to be worn as low as commonly shown on TV or seen by tactical ninjas at the local range. They are designed to be a couple inches below a traditional holster. More or less where your hand comfortably hangs at your side. With traditional strongside holsters one must have their hand several inches higher than it would normally hang. If you have to bend to grip the firearm it is too low.
The holster is great if you are running. The two point attachment stops it from bouncing much better than any single belt attachment I have worn. There is one with a compression band that is much wider and really holds the gun tight.
It is also great if you have bulk around the waist, whether that be body armor or love handles.
Positive retention is a must for any open carry IMO, but I don't see why it would be any worse with a thigh rig than if exposed on the hip. I have more mobility of the gun if on my thigh to try and keep it away from anyone close. You can't bend at the waist and lock it in the holster with your side/rib or however you want to describe that method. That is pretty much for if you are on the ground taking a beating though.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Better run an ALS or SLS setup.
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

Better run an ALS or SLS setup
That is EXACTLY what I was thinking. And, thinking back to work days :P , SafariLand SLS/ALS HOODED to boot.

My personal holster, I ordered & installed the next lower backplate, extension(?) or whatever the base thingie is called (holster body bolts to it, it has the belt loops).

HEY.... OC is already declaring '' this is a pistol'' , why not carry it in the absolute BEST holster, retention, jerk retention etc
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good