Polling places concealed carry

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Randymp
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Polling places concealed carry

Post by Randymp »

I have looked for information concerning concealed carry in a polling place and I have not found anything that forbids it. The only information I found was it is illegal for a poll worker to carry a firearm while working. My voting place is at a KC hall and is not a CPZ. I have asked a member of the KC if the elections board pays rent for the building and the answer is no, they do pay a cleaning fee. So what are you’re thoughts on carrying concealed in this polling place?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Polling places concealed carry

Post by JustaShooter »

I'd want to see the agreement. There is a reasonable chance the agreement is actually a lease with the only payment a cleaning fee. If so, then as I understand it, it becomes a government facility for the term of the lease (election day) and would be a no-carry zone.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
scottb
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by scottb »

Or get an absentee ballot and avoid the long lines.
“Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.”― George Carlin
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Ours is in a local church so kind of a moot point.

And it is amazing how a 30 second prayer at the beginning of a sporting event is a HUGE violation of the separation of church and state principle but spend the entire day in a church voting an not a peep. :wink:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

I'm a member and currently a trustee of a church that is used as a polling place, and trust me, there are more than just peeps about the separation of church and state.

The worst case was when prior to a recent election the county tried to have us cover or remove any religious symbols or references from the inside of the church's main entrance, hallway, and fellowship hall where the polling would actually take place. Now, keep in mind, as you would expect the entrance to the church has a number of such items, and the hallway has perhaps 4 dozen permanently attached frames with displays from missionaries around the world, Bible passages, images, or the like, and the fellowship hall was recently decorated for a new theme for our youth program. Obviously, we declined their request. During an on-site visit the day before the election by reps from the county board of elections *they actually began to take them down* without permission. We stopped them. They insisted that we comply with their demand. We again declined and suggested they might want to look for another polling place if they had a problem. They finally acquiesced when they realized we would literally shut down the polling place rather than comply.

There are also regular complaints from voters. We ignore them, or thank them for their feedback and wish them well, depending on their demeanor.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Wow! :shock: Talk about some seriously RUDE behavior on their part. They come to your house, want to use your facilities, and expect you to comply with their nonsense?!?! Just wow. You have more patience with them than I would have.

Honestly have never heard that before. All you really hear about is someone complaining about a brief prayer before a sporting event, or a statue that is on public property (with no issues in the decades prior).
JustaShooter wrote:I'm a member and currently a trustee of a church that is used as a polling place, and trust me, there are more than just peeps about the separation of church and state.

The worst case was when prior to a recent election the county tried to have us cover or remove any religious symbols or references from the inside of the church's main entrance, hallway, and fellowship hall where the polling would actually take place. Now, keep in mind, as you would expect the entrance to the church has a number of such items, and the hallway has perhaps 4 dozen permanently attached frames with displays from missionaries around the world, Bible passages, images, or the like, and the fellowship hall was recently decorated for a new theme for our youth program. Obviously, we declined their request. During an on-site visit the day before the election by reps from the county board of elections *they actually began to take them down* without permission. We stopped them. They insisted that we comply with their demand. We again declined and suggested they might want to look for another polling place if they had a problem. They finally acquiesced when they realized we would literally shut down the polling place rather than comply.

There are also regular complaints from voters. We ignore them, or thank them for their feedback and wish them well, depending on their demeanor.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

JustaShooter wrote:I'm a member and currently a trustee of a church that is used as a polling place, and trust me, there are more than just peeps about the separation of church and state.

It may be time to tell the ungrateful renters to look elsewhere. :twisted:
Black Rifles Matter
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

steves 50de wrote:

"No room at the inn."
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

steves 50de wrote:

Trust me, we were >< that close. This happened during the 2016 General Election, and our Pastor decided to see what happened for the next election - and since I haven't heard anything about how the primary went, I'm assuming his feedback to the county caused them to make sure things were handled better this time.
NRA Life Member