Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried guns

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: Dayton public transit (RTA) dislikes lawfully carried gu

Post by Chuck »

Thank you Jeffery
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Chuck wrote:Thank you Jeffery
It's Jeffry, Chuck, but you are certainly welcome. :lol:

You and the rest of the top brass at OFCC can help little people like me in our endeavors by getting a law proposed and passed that puts actual TEETH into our preemption law.

Good examples are the laws in Kentucky and Florida. I'm sure I can get you a copy.

In the meanwhile, I've come across evidence of the previous presence and handling of RTA's ongoing behavior: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

Silly question, but could they post the buses under the premise of that being a place that an employee is typically at or something like that?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

TJW815 wrote:Silly question, but could they post the buses under the premise of that being a place that an employee is typically at or something like that?
Briefly, no, because it's a motor vehicle not a government building.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BB62 wrote:
Chuck wrote:Thank you Jeffery
It's Jeffry, Chuck, but you are certainly welcome. :lol:

You and the rest of the top brass at OFCC can help little people like me in our endeavors by getting a law proposed and passed that puts actual TEETH into our preemption law.

Good examples are the laws in Kentucky and Florida. I'm sure I can get you a copy.

In the meanwhile, I've come across evidence of the previous presence and handling of RTA's ongoing behavior: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85446" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I apologize for the misspelling

I'm not hardly "top brass" but I can assure you we are working on exactly that, and have met with more than one lawmaker recently on that very matter.
I hope that when the lame duck gets here you can make it to Columbus to add your experiences to the evidence.
We have Florida's law and are passing it along, but I haven't seen Kentucky's .
If you shoot me a link I will try to make good use of it
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck, can't send you the link via my phone but the pertinent law is Kentucky Revised Statute 65.870. It was amended a while back to make political subdivisions comply, or pay for their impudence.

********************************************************************************
Suckerspawn

Re: E-mail sent to media, 10/7/16

Post by Suckerspawn »

fisher wrote:
BB62 wrote:

BTW- the Piqua buses (Miami county public transit) also prohibit firearms, and they intersect with the Dayton RTA bussses.

Link to piquaoh transit rules:
http://piquaoh.org/download/web/present ... ations.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miami County's website does not specify firearms as prohibited. It does specify pets.

http://www.co.miami.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called the Transit Department and the lady said it has never come up but she thought firearms would not be allowed. She is going to have someone with more knowledge contact me.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Suckerspawn wrote:
fisher wrote:
BB62 wrote:

BTW- the Piqua buses (Miami county public transit) also prohibit firearms, and they intersect with the Dayton RTA bussses.

http://piquaoh.org/download/web/present ... ations.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Miami County's website does not specify firearms as prohibited. It does specify pets.

http://www.co.miami.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/430" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I called the Transit Department and the lady said it has never come up but she thought firearms would not be allowed. She is going to have someone with more knowledge contact me.
There's another document on their website that makes it very clear that they (I believe it's labeled "concealed" weapons or firearms) are prohibited. I believe it's dated 2009. When you find it, please post the link.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

JustJack
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by JustJack »

For those who are interested in the Kentucky law, but to busy/lazy to look it up:
KRS 65.870 Local firearms control ordinances prohibited -- Exemption from immunity -
- Declaratory and injunctive relief

And since it refers to 2 other laws, here's those as well:
KRS 522.020 Official misconduct in the first degree.
KRS 522.030 Official misconduct in the second degree.
The TL;DR versions is 9.68, but it allows you to sue the ACTUAL entity or PERSON(S) who wrote/passed the law, ordinance, rule, policy, etc... directly AND they can be charged under one of the other laws as a result.
IANAL, YMMV, other standard disclaimers, yada, yada, yada, etc, ad nauseum, in infinitum.
"If stupidity was painful, I would be deaf from all the screaming." - Samuel A. Grim
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

JustJack wrote:For those who are interested in the Kentucky law, but to busy/lazy to look it up:
KRS 65.870 Local firearms control ordinances prohibited -- Exemption from immunity -

The TL;DR versions is 9.68, but it allows you to sue the ACTUAL entity or PERSON(S) who wrote/passed the law, ordinance, rule, policy, etc... directly AND they can be charged under one of the other laws as a result.
I'll try to pass that on unless Chuck gets to it first. We've simply had pushback finding representatives that want to touch modifying 9.68 and making it tougher. Add that we believe in personal sanctions and our representatives turn their backs more. For some reason I think they feel they have {inappropriate language} off smaller communities enough over the years and they don't want to go after individual people. Not much we as OFCC can do there. Heck, we still can't get notification removal passed. Ohio just has a very lazy bag of legislators that don't want to work for the people.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustJack wrote:For those who are interested in the Kentucky law, but to busy/lazy to look it up:

Thanks. I will admit to being bad at posting links but especially from my quasi-smart phone. *Ahem* it's not laziness, I swear.

Because of living so close to Kentucky and frequently going there, I have come to know how good Kentucky laws have become. Those of you not familiar, take the time to "read it and weep" for how Ohio should be doing things.

Suckerspawn

Post by Suckerspawn »

Suckerspawn wrote:
fisher wrote:
BB62 wrote:

I just got a call from a nice lady who said they were of the opinion that buses were an extension of the buildings. I pointed out the laws for buildings and vehicles are very specific. 'Transit' is going to contact the county prosecutor and get his opinion. She will call me back with his answer.
No, I am not a policeman. I am a mercenary praying for peace on Earth.
I don't want a tactical advantage. I want the bad guys to repent and find a new line of work.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Thank you for the links
Please allow me to return the favor

For those who may be too busy / lazy to look it up, here is a link to our membership page:
https://ohioccw.org/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=456" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ain't activism fun?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Suckerspawn wrote:
Suckerspawn wrote:Miami County's website does not specify firearms as prohibited. It does specify pets.

I just got a call from a nice lady who said they were of the opinion that buses were an extension of the buildings. I pointed out the laws for buildings and vehicles are very specific. 'Transit' is going to contact the county prosecutor and get his opinion. She will call me back with his answer.
Thanks again for your efforts. Nice work!

If necessary, I'll be glad to add them to my "target" list - but in the meanwhile, keep up the good work.

You're welcome to use my "primer" (link below), customized as necessary, without attribution, in your communications.

http://www.ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic. ... 5#p4364553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got Freedom?

qmti
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by qmti »

Suckerspawn wrote:
fisher wrote:
BB62 wrote:

I was in Piqua today and looked at a bus and did NOT see a "no Guns" sign post by the entrance door.