Open Carry Walk Miami University

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BB62

Re: Open Carry Walk Miami University

Post by BB62 »

glocksmith wrote:Geez...I'd say it's a success even before it's taken place. I've seen a few news reports and articles already, so it is getting lots of exposure. I certainly appreciate Jeff's efforts for The Cause and his talent at getting exposure and mingling with the crowds. Thanks!!!
Thank you for the kind words. I hope to see you in Oxford on Saturday.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Some groups on campus have been batting around some...unusual...forms of potential protests to this educational walk. One suggestion seemed to take its inspiration from PETA: Semi-nude (female) protesters, with the idea being "I'd rather go naked than be around a gun!"

I don't know how serious the people were about that one. However, I have added mirrored sunglasses, and a stack of $1 bills, to my checklist of things to bring along. :mrgreen:

Saturday could get...interesting. Apologies to BB62 for blabbing a bit about this here and a couple other pro-gun forums where the educational walk was mentioned, but once something hits Facebook like those protest ideas did, it ain't a secret.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Brian D. wrote:Some groups on campus have been batting around some...unusual...forms of potential protests to this educational walk. One suggestion seemed to take its inspiration from PETA: Semi-nude (female) protesters, with the idea being "I'd rather go naked than be around a gun!"...
I'm suddenly looking forward to this walk a bit more. 8)
MyWifeSaidYes
BB62

Post by BB62 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
Brian D. wrote:Some groups on campus have been batting around some...unusual...forms of potential protests to this educational walk. One suggestion seemed to take its inspiration from PETA: Semi-nude (female) protesters, with the idea being "I'd rather go naked than be around a gun!"...
I'm suddenly looking forward to this walk a bit more. 8)
My understanding is that MWSY is going to show up in this outfit in response:

Last edited by BB62 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

Brian D. wrote:... Apologies to BB62 for blabbing a bit about this here and a couple other pro-gun forums where the educational walk was mentioned, but once something hits Facebook like those protest ideas did, it ain't a secret.
No problemo!

Got Freedom?

Bianchi?

Post by Bianchi? »

BB62 wrote:
My understanding is that MWSY is going to show up in this outfit in response:
I always kinda figured MWSY as a Boarat Mankini kind of guy....
I've had consistently good results with ether.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Duct tape Speedos.
MyWifeSaidYes
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Duct tape Speedos.
Just be careful when you take them off! :shock:
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Can we stay on topic please? Remember, if we want this walk to be taken seriously we should also appear serious in a thread dealing with it.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Can we stay on topic please? Remember, if we want this walk to be taken seriously we should also appear serious in a thread dealing with it.
Taking off duct tape Speedos is a VERY serious subject.
MyWifeSaidYes
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JediSkipdogg wrote:Can we stay on topic please? Remember, if we want this walk to be taken seriously we should also appear serious in a thread dealing with it.
After electronically digging into the background of some of the potential protesters from Miami University, I may never get serious about anything again .One example? "Preferred gender pronouns", that bit of college-born linguistic nonsense is actually a thing now, maybe headed to a real world workplace near you.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

Brian D. wrote: After electronically digging into the background of some of the potential protesters from Miami University, I may never get serious about anything again .One example? "Preferred gender pronouns", that bit of college-born linguistic nonsense is actually a thing now, maybe headed to a real world workplace near you.
My oldest son is a high school junior this year; so we are beginning to do the college visit thing. If BB62 remembers, this is the son that I carried on my shoulders for most of the open carry walk in Wilmington (I think) around 2003.

Last Saturday we visited Miami University in Oxford for their official campus visit.

Based on our experience last week, BB62 and the group should have no problems. They may not get an overly warm welcome but I do not think there will be any antagonistic protests.

Miami does appear to be into the "PC Movement". The term Freshman seems to be forbidden. Everyone that conducted the tours, that I would consider a Freshman, referred to themselves as a "First Year". The student that led our group was a Senior and referred to himself as such. However, when he talked about events in the past, they were things that happened when he was a "First Year". The faculty and administrative people that were part of the pre-tour presentation also referred to when students are "First Year" as opposed to Freshmen. I know Miami changed their mascot about 25 or so years ago from Redskins to Redhawks, even though the leaders of the Miami tribe had no issues with the term Redskin.

Miami also seems to be a school where people are expected to follow the rules. Our tour guide gleefully pointed out how the parking garage on campus was fully paid for and is fully funded operationally by parking fines. My wife and I did not have the heart to ask how long it took to collect enough in fines to pay for the parking garage. However, they do patrol the streets to make sure cars have the "authorized parking pass". A few days before our visit, I received an e-mail with a .pdf of a Parking Pass that had to be displayed on my vehicle's dashboard,with the correct license plate number added, while parked on campus. After our tour, my wife, son and I walked to a nearby restaurant for lunch. When we came back to the Farmer School of Business, there was a "gentleman" walking down the street looking at the parking passes on the dashboard of each car he went past.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to join the festivities this weekend. My younger son has a soccer tournament in Louisville, KY on Saturday and Sunday.

Have an enjoyable and educational walk.
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
BB62

Post by BB62 »

pniemeyer wrote:My oldest son is a high school junior this year; so we are beginning to do the college visit thing. If BB62 remembers, this is the son that I carried on my shoulders for most of the open carry walk in Wilmington (I think) around 2003. ...
I couldn't pick him out of a crowd, but I remember you carrying him. Looong time ago!

Thanks Paul.
Last edited by BB62 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Got Freedom?

BB62

Post by BB62 »

A reasoned response to an MU student's editorial about the Walk: http://miamistudent.net/?p=17016827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The MU student is given a second "shot": http://miamistudent.net/?p=17016825" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The inaccurate, overwrought response to the Walk by the editorial board of the student newspaper: http://miamistudent.net/?p=17016829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh my!

Got Freedom?

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

BB62 wrote:The inaccurate, overwrought response to the Walk by the editorial board of the student newspaper: http://miamistudent.net/?p=17016829" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Oh my!
Best line of the story, IMO,
People can be assured by marchers of their good intentions and commitment to safety, but that assurance does not erase the emotions that are evoked when one lays eyes on a gun.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)