Aggressive flashlight striking bezels

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

ApexShootingTactics

Re: Aggressive flashlight striking bezels

Post by ApexShootingTactics »

Great info Allen.

Wish you could be there on Saturday also. Hopefully next time!
-Andrew

http://apexshooting.com

https://www.facebook.com/ApexShootingTactics

By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. -Benjamin Franklin
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ I hope so!

I love any chance to bring out (all) of my flashlights. :oops:

Next time, for-sure, we'll leave a few of mine burning in the classroom while we shoot. It should be a fun experiment/contest to see who can hold on to the 3xCR123 powered Malkoff drop-in for the longest! :lol: If I can find my old ARC LS, that should be even more "hot potato!" fun. :lol: Heck, I'll even bring the L6 so that we can all worship at the altar of one of the first true high-power made-for-purpose LED torches. <sigh, if I only had one of the original Laser Products 6Ps!>

And like I said before, I know very little about very few things, but when I can, I am not shy to contribute.
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

I have to admit, my flashlight collection is almost as big as my knife collection / fetish, lol. :oops:
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

I refuse to be a victim.
BobK

Post by BobK »

The thought just occurred that a striking bezel on a flashlight may create an issue with Ohio's definition of a deadly weapon.
(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

BobK wrote:The thought just occurred that a striking bezel on a flashlight may create an issue with Ohio's definition of a deadly weapon.
(A) "Deadly weapon" means any instrument, device, or thing capable of inflicting death, and designed or specially adapted for use as a weapon, or possessed, carried, or used as a weapon.
I believe you may be right, Bob. But to me it's the same thing as a CH licensee in Ohio carrying a cutting tool of some kind along with a firearm: "So..let me get this straight officer, you are going to arrest me for illegally carrying this Kershaw, but not this pair of Glocks? Really?" Don't misunderstand I don't want to have such a conversation during an encounter, but you can bet I would just so his bosses and the taxpayers can hear it when his affirmative reply gets played back later. same deal with a darn flashlight, no one, badge or not, is going to browbeat me that way.

Maybe because of having to take one police officer to the mat career wise (he's long gone from LE, think he sells used cars now) I just ain't scared of conversing with them rather plainly ever since.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

BobK wrote:The thought just occurred that a striking bezel on a flashlight may create an issue with Ohio's definition of a deadly weapon.

There's a reason MagLights are now frowned upon by many police departments.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Spidey wrote:I have to admit, my flashlight collection is almost as big as my knife collection / fetish, lol. :oops:
A new friend? :?: :D :!:
buckeye43210

Post by buckeye43210 »

Use a barrel-wrap to add a finger loop to your flashlight and turn it into a koppo stick for better retention.

TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I know the OP's intent with this thread is to address the "strking bezels" popular on many of today's "tactical" flashlights, but since I've already managed to derail :oops: the thread with previous posts, I thought that I might as well add another tangent here:

http://www.breachbangclear.com/lumens-m ... they-dont/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In front of me I have two different weapon lights. The power sources are exactly the same. One of them is 220 lumens and the other is a hair over 1k lumens. Which one can illuminate targets farther in the dark?
Easy question, right?
^ This particular article penned by Dave "Mad Duo" Merrill earlier in November, I thought, provided an excellent and very easily understood introduction into the dangers of simply relying on any manufacturer/Vendor's description of the supposed output of the light as a way to judge its effectiveness in the context of how we would use it for self/home defense.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

I can't believe I'd forgotten this :oops: in our discussion of temperature regulation:

http://www.oveready.com/insiders/55/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ That was a most innovative custom design from 2014, and as I mentioned of those CREE household bulbs, it takes advantage of convection.

So, I was wrong from before - yes, this kind of stuff is possible in a flashlight. 8) :)
LegoGlock

Post by LegoGlock »

Thanks for the link and info Allen! :thumbsup:
“If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?”
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :oops: Like I wrote/said, I can't believe I forgot that one. :oops: Getting senile.

I definitely drooled over it......
Spidey

Post by Spidey »

TSiWRX wrote:I can't believe I'd forgotten this :oops: in our discussion of temperature regulation:

http://www.oveready.com/insiders/55/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

^ That was a most innovative custom design from 2014, and as I mentioned of those CREE household bulbs, it takes advantage of convection. 8) :)
Am I wrong to think of a flashlight as sexy and sleek? Just looking at the website above had me reaching for my credit card, lol. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

I refuse to be a victim.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

^ :lol:
DontTreadOnMe
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by DontTreadOnMe »

Note that's an 'AND' not 'OR'. It has to not only be adapted for use as a weapon, but actually capable of inflicting death. Until there's evidence of someone being killed after being struck (even repeatedly) by nothing but a flashlight's bevel, I'm not going to sweat this one.