Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away (Discussion)

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

djthomas

Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away (Discussion)

Post by djthomas »

Thought I'd start this one since the announcement is locked and only moderators are able to chime in on it.

Definitely sorry to hear about Tom. Although I never met the guy in person I always enjoyed his contributions here and for OFCC as a whole. He'll definitely be missed. Reading his obit gave me the chuckles - sounds like someone I would like to have known.

Rest in peace!
rDigital

Re: Tunnel Rat aka Tom McNaughton has passed away (Discussio

Post by rDigital »

Tom was friendky, helpful, great to do business with and a great conversationalist.

He will be missed. They don't make men like him anymore.
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

RIP, sir.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
OldManTod
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by OldManTod »

I couldn't figure out how/why we were able to post on this, we should move our comments over here.

Yeah - he will be sorely missed.

T
"I feel sorry for you people who do not drink, when you wake up in the morning, that is as good as you are going to feel all day." - Dean
Mustang380gal
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Mustang380gal »

OldManTod wrote:I couldn't figure out how/why we were able to post on this, we should move our comments over here.

Yeah - he will be sorely missed.

T
I don't have access to do that. It would be a good idea.
RIFLEWOMAN, wife of a RIFLEMAN, mom of 9, NRA life member, OFCC Patron member!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Tom came into my store one time for a holster I had...He walked in and I was sorta stunned by his look....He was someone you would be polite to, or you would be scolded for it.....you could tell he would kick some butt if you didn't behave....
...I said to him, why does a lefty need a right handed holster, cross draw, he said...
This really showed me what a proud veteran he was...He wore a 1911 and his CIB......Man was I impressed. We talked briefly about the Tunnel Rat name and how he got it...did not realize at the time it was his job in Nam...
I'll never for get that meeting, it's just one of those things that sticks in your mind....Good man....
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Announcements are funny. You can post to them if you find the post but if you click on the announcement, they are locked out. It's a bug that I've never solved.

As for Tunnel Rat.....I've had a few talks with him and he was a stellar guy. I know I met him once at the Party in the Park. I will say, the rest of the moderating team has some big shoes to fill.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
diamondsun

Post by diamondsun »

I never met TunnelRat in real life, but always enjoyed his posts. Sounds like he had a full life, but dang, 69 is too young. Goodbye and Godspeed.
To America's Citizen Soldier; Who answered the call; Climbed the hill; Paid the price; And never let us down.
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

I am saddened to hear that. He was a voice of intelligence and reason in these forums. Funny, too.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
BEAR!

Post by BEAR! »

I had the honor of being moderated by Tom and later meeting him at The Party In The Park, I also had the privilege of shooting with him at an OFCC shoot.

He was a great guy and I will miss him. :cry:

Rest In Peace Tunnel Rat.
NRA Endowment Member
OFCC Member

"Life is tough, its even tougher when you're stupid"- John Wayne

http://theoldtimeway.blogspot.com/
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

offtopic - sorry guys I went nuclear on the announcement scope and didn't realize the implications it caused with respect to posting.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
sodbuster95
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by sodbuster95 »

As Tom was from this area, I had the privilege of meeting and speaking with him a number of times over the course of the last few years. He was very pleasant and an overall nice guy to be around. His presence will surely be missed.

RIP, Tom.
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Information posted in these forums is my personal opinion only. It is not intended, nor should it be construed, as legal advice.
yogidave

Post by yogidave »

I to have had the privilege of meeting Tom, he sold my wife her first pistol. It was always a pleasure speaking with him although he did have a bit of a lead foot. I do recall one of our meetings at bass pro and he was showing me the work that he had done to his G19. He unloaded it right in the parking lot and people were walking by in shock. What are you gonna say to a guy that has purple heart license plates. He will be missed R.I.P. Tom
Sevens
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Sevens »

I did not know him but I know he spent a lot of time and energy moderating these forums that we all enjoy so much. It also sounds like he gave a lot in defense of this country when he was called to do so. Sounds like a fine man and he will be missed!
I like to swap brass... and I'm looking for .32 H&R Mag, .327 Fed Mag, .380 Auto and 10mm. If you have some and would like to swap for something else, send me a note!
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Not the kind of news you want on Thursday afternoon when the wife just called to tell me she bought aisle 6 at the grocery store.... :D

I spent many a session here "talking" with Tom since I joined this group back in the day. Very special skills, and a really great guy on top of it. He will be missed.

He didn't talk too much about his wartime experiences, but although I never served, I was aware of the job that he and others did. If they'd built tunnels big enough for me, we wouldn't have needed Tom.... (Which is why the Air Force didn't want me.)

BTW, I'll be 69 next month. Uh-oh.... Time to buy some Valium for Sammy.

For Tom's friends and family - closer to him than I was - my deepest condolences. May his memory be a blessing.

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם