"Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Use this forum to post your experience with encounters with law enforcement, criminals, or other encounters as a result of your firearm or potential to be carrying one.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

BobK

Re: "Why didn't you pull that gun?"

Post by BobK »

Tweed Ring wrote:In Ohio, one can use force to protect one's property - one cannot use deadly force to protect one's property.
True.

One common variation is when someone chooses to use force to protect their property. When the gibsmedat orc decides to attack the person so heinously withholding the property in question, that shift from property theft to a personal attack can also shift the justification from force to deadly force.
I am a: NRA Life Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Texas Firearms Coalition Gold member, OFCC Patron Member, former JFPO member (pre-SAF).

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ
More Obamination. Idiots. Can't we find an electable (R) for 2016?
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote:I sometimes wonder if supposedly grown people make such statements just because they didn't think them through, or they really think the law works like that?
^ Probably a little of both. :(
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Jakor wrote:Thanks, everyone. Make, model, and license # were recorded by employees. I went on with my day.
But you acknowledge that you saw it, so you're still a witness.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Cruiser
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Cruiser »

BobK wrote:
Tweed Ring wrote:In Ohio, one can use force to protect one's property - one cannot use deadly force to protect one's property.
True.

One common variation is when someone chooses to use force to protect their property. When the gibsmedat orc decides to attack the person so heinously withholding the property in question, that shift from property theft to a personal attack can also shift the justification from force to deadly force.
But then the problem arises. Who escalated the violence? Did the property owner by using force!
Abandon ye all HOPE!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

TR.can i aim for the foot ?
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

You did the right thing. I would have done the same thing. Stayed out of it and been a good witness.
"Lord, make my hand fast and accurate.
Let my aim be true and my hand faster
than those who would seek to destroy me.
Grant me victory over my foes and those who wish to do harm to me and mine.
Let not my last thought be 'If I only had my gun."
And Lord, if today is truly the day you call me home
Let me die in a pile of empty brass."
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
catfish86
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by catfish86 »

Believe it or not, the EMPLOYEES have some limited protection in stopping a shoplifter. As a bystander you do not. Shoplifters have died in chokeholds attempting to restrain without successful legal consequences against the employees. I can't recall the exact legal requirements for use of force on shoplifters but I know that force is allowed. Now, should the store employee be in the act of restraint when a knife is pulled by the rascal, that is justified defense of another.
Last edited by catfish86 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
God,
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to know the difference.

Carrying a gun is a right, not a crime.

Gun control is racist.
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

carmen fovozzo wrote:TR.can i aim for the foot ?
I believe the use of a firearm against an opponent is deadly force. However, my use of a baton against an opponent, depending on the technique used, and the body part to which it is applied, may be less than deadly force.
Stryker74
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Stryker74 »

catfish86 wrote:Believe it or not, the EMPLOYEES have some limited protection in stopping a shoplifter. As a bystander you do not. Shoplifters have died in chokeholds attempting to restrain without successful legal consequences against the employees. I can't recall the exact legal requirements for use of force on shoplifters but I know that force is allowed. Now, should the store employee be in the act of restraint when a knife is pulled by the rascal, that is justified defense of another.
That might be a stretch. In defense of others, you have to be sure that the person you are defending was not at fault for instigating the situation. Otherwise, you place yourself into the precarious position of defending the potential "attacker". If the grand jury declares that the employee was a fault for an attack - you are on the hook for use of deadly force as well.

Property is never worth more than my life or freedom. Ever.

I might be angry that some person stole from me, as I work hard for my possessions. But it is just stuff, and can be replaced. My life and my freedom cannot be replaced so easily.
Aaron

NRA Life Endowment Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Refuse To Be A Victim
NRA Range Safety Officer
Kentucky CCDW Certified Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC, and the fight for your rights? Click the link to find out how!
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=64852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

catfish86 wrote:Believe it or not, the EMPLOYEES have some limited protection in stopping a shoplifter. As a bystander you do not. Shoplifters have died in chokeholds attempting to restrain without successful legal consequences against the employees. I can't recall the exact legal requirements for use of force on shoplifters but I know that force is allowed. Now, should the store employee be in the act of restraint when a knife is pulled by the rascal, that is justified defense of another.
They have limited 'authority' under R.C. 2935.041, but there are no protections beyond that authority.
2935.041(E) The officer, agent, or employee of the library, museum, or archival institution, the merchant or employee or agent of a merchant, or the owner, lessee, employee, or agent of the facility acting under division (A), (B), or (D) of this section shall not search the person detained, search or seize any property belonging to the person detained without the person's consent, or use undue restraint upon the person detained.
MyWifeSaidYes
Javelin Man
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by Javelin Man »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
They have limited 'authority' under R.C. 2935.041, but there are no protections beyond that authority.
2935.041(E) The officer, agent, or employee of the library, museum, or archival institution, the merchant or employee or agent of a merchant, or the owner, lessee, employee, or agent of the facility acting under division (A), (B), or (D) of this section shall not search the person detained, search or seize any property belonging to the person detained without the person's consent, or use undue restraint upon the person detained.
And if they do search or detain the person without the person's consent, what is the consequence to the employee or whomever is doing the detaining or searching?
Famous last words: "I just drank What?!-Socrates

bruh bruh is slang for "complete and total moron" -sodbuster95

The following is a list of children's books that didn't quite make it to the printing press...
1. What Is That Dog Doing to That Other Dog?
2. Daddy Drinks Because You Cry
3. You Were An Accident
4. Bi-Curious George
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

Javelin Man wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
And if they do search or detain the person without the person's consent, what is the consequence to the employee or whomever is doing the detaining or searching?
You're not asking the right question. Respondeat superior.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

What is undue restraint though?..And I saw cops searching a person a few weeks back, with the person still in the store..I thought that was illegal..I thought the person had to actually try to leave the store..Is that wrong?
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07

~The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.~ Thomas Jefferson
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

Bama.45 wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:

What is undue restraint though?..And I saw cops searching a person a few weeks back, with the person still in the store..I thought that was illegal..I thought the person had to actually try to leave the store..Is that wrong?

General rule of thumb is you need to make an attempt to leave the store before security will jump in. I think in most cases, security will follow until you walk past the counter and are at the exit to walk out. Another method is removing the packages and leaving the original package behind. If you open a He-Man action figure out of the plastic, stick the action figure in your pocket, and leave the package behind, that can be construed as theft. Now, if you open the action figure, hand it to your kid, and take the original package with you, that's not theft. It's not a clear cut and dry for everything.

I'm not sure I'm following you on the search though. Police don't have to search the person in the parking lot. They can search in the store if they are under arrest and an element of theft has been met.

We also deal with employee theft all the time and search inside the store.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Bama.45

Post by Bama.45 »

That answered my question..The guy hadn't left the store and was in the process of paying for stuff when the cops came up and searched him..Didn't find anything and let him go..It just didn't make sense to me and I felt that was an illegal search...I would imagine employee search procedures would be different..What is undue restraint though?..That has me curious..What's the definition?
Amen

U.S. Marines 01-07