Shooting through vehicles

This section is dedicated to all issues relating to training and tactics. Commercial advertisements and solicitation for your own classes are not
permitted.

Moderators: Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

xpd54

Shooting through vehicles

Post by xpd54 »

Last year I took these videos to show to new officers and my academy cadets.

http://youtu.be/fmcvkpEFQO8

http://youtu.be/e347Oen0E_E

http://youtu.be/KaPMDgS5DYo

There are so many variables inside a car it's hard to tell what will happen when you shoot them.

Enjoy.
".....in the end we must still slosh our way through the factbound morass of reasonableness."
- Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia in Scott v. Harris

The views expressed in this post are my own. They have not been reviewed or approved by my employer.

My Blog
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Shooting through vehicles

Post by evan price »

From personal experience I know that 9mm will go through car doors and lodge in the seat as will 45's.
Birdshot up to #6 might not even penetrate the sheet metal unless it's touching range.
Buckshot will perform similar to 9mm handgun.
1-ounce slug will penetrate the door, seat, and then out the other door. It will also penetrate the back seat, carpet, floor, top and bottom of gas tank and internal baffles, the gas tank strap, and still bury itself in the ground to where it can't be found. This will leave a hole in the bottom of the gas tank that you can put most of your fingers into.
With 3" magnum slugs, I've even removed a gas tank by shooting down into it and severing the straps. Or, if I fill it with water first, it will blow the seams and rupture the tank plus blow a hole in the bottom you can reach into. :mrgreen:
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

So you have a thing for inialating car gas tanks ? :)
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I've got the video tapes that Richard Davis from the old Second Chance Body Armor Company did several years ago, they included bunches of "bullets versus cars" tests on camera. Pretty neat stuff. At one point Davis is getting ready to shoot at the engine compartment of a running vehicle with a .357 magnum. He states that only in Hollywood will the .357 "pierce an engine block" as is often claimed. So, he fires a couple of rounds and...the engine shuts off!

He kept the camera running while they lifted the hood for a look. One of those bullets had gone right to the fuse panel behind the firewall and taken out several fuses, killing the motor. He just shook his head and laughed about such a fluke.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

carmen fovozzo wrote:So you have a thing for inialating car gas tanks ? :)
When a car gets scrapped they want the gas tank drained and with a clearly visible hole to show it is empty. I don't know about you but laying under the tank drilling or cutting is no fun. A couple deer slugs solve that problem.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

evan price wrote:From personal experience I know that 9mm will go through car doors and lodge in the seat as will 45's.
Birdshot up to #6 might not even penetrate the sheet metal unless it's touching range.
1-ounce slug will penetrate the door, seat, and then out the other door. It will also penetrate the back seat, carpet, floor, top and bottom of gas tank and internal baffles, the gas tank strap, and still bury itself in the ground to where it can't be found. This will leave a hole in the bottom of the gas tank that you can put most of your fingers into.
With 3" magnum slugs, I've even removed a gas tank by shooting down into it and severing the straps. Or, if I fill it with water first, it will blow the seams and rupture the tank plus blow a hole in the bottom you can reach into. :mrgreen:
I wanna play at your house,,,,
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Chuck wrote:
evan price wrote:From personal experience I know that 9mm will go through car doors and lodge in the seat as will 45's.
I wanna play at your house,,,,
Evan sounds like a very resourceful guy. I'm a programmer. The less key strokes to do implement a solution 'correctly', I'm behind it.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
lar1

Post by lar1 »

good stuff. My dad bought an old farm truck that he used for off road use when we were kids. I think it was $50 running. we shot the bed with 22 rifles. after it had stopped running, I was a little older and tested 20ga slug, 12ga birdshot, .357 magnum 6" barrel and 7.62x36. interesting stuff. My science project in school was for terminal ballistics. Imagine that now...
CCIman

Post by CCIman »

Brian D. wrote:I've got the video tapes that Richard Davis from the old Second Chance Body Armor Company did several years ago, they included bunches of "bullets versus cars" tests on camera. Pretty neat stuff. At one point Davis is getting ready to shoot at the engine compartment of a running vehicle with a .357 magnum. He states that only in Hollywood will the .357 "pierce an engine block" as is often claimed. So, he fires a couple of rounds and...the engine shuts off!

He kept the camera running while they lifted the hood for a look. One of those bullets had gone right to the fuse panel behind the firewall and taken out several fuses, killing the motor. He just shook his head and laughed about such a fluke.
'CAN' does not equal "SHOULD'.