Metro Parks

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mrmike

Metro Parks

Post by mrmike »

Does anyone know if it is legal to carry at Montgomery County Metro Parks ? And which law says yea or nay. Thanks !
Μολών Λαβέ...... Nuff said.

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
–Ronald Reagan
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Metro Parks

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

It is legal.

Montgomery Co. had signs up last year. They took them down after I contacted them in May of 2012.

Ohio Revised Code 9.68 says only state and federal laws can regulate firearm possession, sale, purchase, transport, etc. County and local governments (except townships) may regulate the USE of firearms, such as discharging one, but they should have an exception for self-defense purposes. Townships cannot regulate firearms, hunting, trapping or fishing, at all, as per ORC 504.04(B)(6).

You can't carry into any building on park grounds, unless its a restroom, shelter or parking facility.

Please post here if you find any 'no guns' signs at a county park, or if any LEO or government employee tells you guns are not allowed.
MyWifeSaidYes
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

Thank you !

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
–Ronald Reagan
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

Montgomery County Sheriff Dept. told me there are no weapons allowed at Metro-Parks.
Maybe cops should have to take the CHL class so they know what the law is. Sad !
:oops:

–Ronald Reagan
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:It is legal.

Montgomery Co. had signs up last year. They took them down after I contacted them in May of 2012.

Ohio Revised Code 9.68 says only state and federal laws can regulate firearm possession, sale, purchase, transport, etc. County and local governments (except townships) may regulate the USE of firearms, such as discharging one, but they should have an exception for self-defense purposes. Townships cannot regulate firearms, hunting, trapping or fishing, at all, as per ORC 504.04(B)(6).

You can't carry into any building on park grounds, unless its a restroom, shelter or parking facility.

Please post here if you find any 'no guns' signs at a county park, or if any LEO or government employee tells you guns are not allowed.

How about villages that used to be a city? Can they regulate?
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TJW815 wrote:

Nobody besides the state of Ohio can regulate firearm restrictions (except discharge) in Ohio. And currently, all city, state, village, township owned parks are free carry zones with the exception of their buildings (bathrooms excluded.)
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
TJW815 wrote:

Nobody besides the state of Ohio can regulate firearm restrictions (except discharge) in Ohio. And currently, all city, state, village, township owned parks are free carry zones with the exception of their buildings (bathrooms excluded.)
I'm sorry I left part of my question out... Can they regulate the use (like back yard target ranges) of a firearm?

It's been a long day :(
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

TJW815 wrote:I'm sorry I left part of my question out... Can they regulate the use (like back yard target ranges) of a firearm?

Unfortunately yes...kinda...

Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

Cities may restrict the discharge of a firearm within their city boundaries. Townships and Villages I don't believe can create laws therefore they cannot regulate discharge within their boundaries.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

Thank you all for your answers. If I decide to push the issue I only ask that you bring me my Bibles and a deck of cards. Pen and paper would be nice also. :D

–Ronald Reagan
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

mrmike wrote:Thank you all for your answers. If I decide to push the issue I only ask that you bring me my Bibles and a deck of cards. Pen and paper would be nice also. :D
You got it! But I think you will be okay. Who did you talk to at the Mont. Cty. Sheriff Office?
TJW815

Post by TJW815 »

JediSkipdogg wrote:
TJW815 wrote:I'm sorry I left part of my question out... Can they regulate the use (like back yard target ranges) of a firearm?

Unfortunately yes...kinda...

Except as specifically provided by the United States Constitution, Ohio Constitution, state law, or federal law, a person, without further license, permission, restriction, delay, or process, may own, possess, purchase, sell, transfer, transport, store, or keep any firearm, part of a firearm, its components, and its ammunition.

Cities may restrict the discharge of a firearm within their city boundaries. Townships and Villages I don't believe can create laws therefore they cannot regulate discharge within their boundaries.
So as not to hijack any further I have sent a pm. 8)
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

TJ, thanks for your answer. But to be honest, I am not concerned about me. Because of my medical issues I have no chance of ever going to trial. I was already told I WOULD see a Ranger while camping. I welcome any and ALL sane advice. Again, thank you all !

–Ronald Reagan
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

mrmike wrote:Because of my medical issues I have no chance of ever going to trial.
Other than severe mental illness, what could possibly guarantee you a pass on going to trial?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
mrmike

Post by mrmike »

JA, your kindness underwhelms me. Otherwise, I have the greatest respect for you. Also, "I am not crazy, my mother had me tested". I have a shirt to prove it. Again, thank you for your lack of kindness and understanding. Clearly you are a great asset to OFCC. I have no doubt that you will chase away future members from OFCC with your wit and "kindness". Keep up the good work !

–Ronald Reagan
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

mrmike wrote:JA, your kindness underwhelms me. Otherwise, I have the greatest respect for you. Also, "I am not crazy, my mother had me tested". I have a shirt to prove it. Again, thank you for your lack of kindness and understanding. Clearly you are a great asset to OFCC. I have no doubt that you will chase away future members from OFCC with your wit and "kindness". Keep up the good work !
Jim was simply saying no other medical condition other than mental illness would preclude one from being put on trial. Physical ailments within the incarcerated are common. We have a case in Cinci where a man confined to a wheelchair was just arraigned for shooting and killing his brother. If convicted he will be sent to a correctional institute with medical facilities...they do exist.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA