Do you notify local LEOs?

Open Carry is carrying a firearm unconcealed in Ohio. OC does not require a concealed handgun license, but the practice requires intimate knowledge of the law since there are places and situations where OC is prohibited but carrying concealed would be permitted. OC is also likely to attract attention. This forum is for discussion of OC, not for debating the pro's and con's or coordinating any type of protest events.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Do you notify local LEOs?

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

A quick conversation among GangBangers:

GB1: Hey, didja hear 'bout GB3?
GB2: No. What up?
GB1: He was packin' and forgot to cover up his piece. Five-0 drives by and just f####n waved at him!
GB2: WTF! You're BS'ing me, dog!
GB1: Nah, for realz! One of my baby mamas works downtown and heard that cats that open carry just get eyeballed by the fuzz if they ain't doin' nothin'!!
GB2: No s#it!! That's bad azz!
GB1: Yeahboy, check it. Ima got my Hi-Point right on my mutha f####n hip.
GB2: Damn, man. Let's go to Starbucks!

Okay, so this 'ain't' an authentic story, but why couldn't it be?

I don't want someone to be so scared of ME that an MWAG call is made. Once it is made, I DO NOT mind that a patrol is sent to 'check me out'. What bothers me are these stories of how those contacts are handled. I prefer: "Hello, sir. May I see some ID?" "No." "Okay, sir. You have a great evening."

Political pressure requires that a patrol car be sent. If the decision is made to NOT make contact and something bad DOES happen, someone is getting fired. They may be immune from both criminal and civil procecution, bur SOMEONE is going to get fired.
MyWifeSaidYes
Werz
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Werz »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Okay, so this 'ain't' an authentic story, but why couldn't it be?
How many li'l ganstas make to it age 21 without acquiring a firearms disability?
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:I don't want someone to be so scared of ME that an MWAG call is made. Once it is made, I DO NOT mind that a patrol is sent to 'check me out'. What bothers me are these stories of how those contacts are handled. I prefer: "Hello, sir. May I see some ID?" "No." "Okay, sir. You have a great evening."
And if you're not misbehaving, they can always ID you later from the little "cop cams" clipped to their chest pockets. Those are becoming quite prolific.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
-- Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
"Remember that protecting our gun rights still boils down to keeping a majority in the electorate, and that our daily activities can have the impact of being ambassadors for the gun culture ..."
-- BobK
Open carry is a First Amendment exercise.
spanishropes

Post by spanishropes »

Getting your concealed carry license is priority one. Open carry puts you at a tactical disadvantage; you lose your edge over an assailant during the initial encounter.

Certainly a potential assailant may think twice before accosting you if you open carry, or....does he walk past you , turn, and pop you in the head to obtain your money AND firearm?

Legally, passing a person on the street that feels you 'looked at them' the wrong way could result in a menacing charge
(2903.22-No person shall knowingly cause another to believe that the offender will cause physical harm to the person or property of the other person).

Yes, the legal description says 'knowingly', but the place that that is going to be argued by the open carrier isn't always the street, with the P.O. but often in the courtroom by a defense attorney.

Yes, open carry is legal, and should be an avenue for someone waiting to get their concealed license, but it shouldn't be the end objective.
blah

Post by blah »

Oh come on...another person that wants to tell us not to OC? At work and no time for proper response. More later. :roll:
~ Glen

What part of "shall not be infringed" is so difficult to understand?
Gaspode

Post by Gaspode »

spanishropes wrote: Yes, open carry is legal, and should be an avenue for someone waiting to get their concealed license, but it shouldn't be the end objective.
What an insightful and well thought out objection to open carry... :roll:

Next!
Pride is all well and good. But a sausage is a sausage.

All humans are vermin in the eyes of Morbo.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

The only right we have to carry a sidearm in Ohio is to carry it openly.
Concealed carry is a privilege that requires one to purchase a license.

No one should give up their rights for a privilege
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Tweed Ring

Post by Tweed Ring »

If they are not precluded by law, and they are not breaking the law, why does it matter if they are open carrying. We should punish lawbreakers for what they have done, or failed to do, not what they might do.

A lawyer once advised the US Constitution, the Ohio Constitution, and the Ohio Revised Code apply equally to me as well as some criminal.
parbreaker

Post by parbreaker »

There are dozens of issues within this one, but I'm going to try to boil it down to the most important issue.

The main purpose of the pro-gun movement is to reverse the social stigma that has grown from government maneuvering and visual media. What's the best way to do that? The best way is to expose the general public to firearms in a positive manner. Of course getting your concealed carry license is a part of that, but many of us feel that open carry has a large part in that as well. To dismiss it in any manner would be foolish.

You do have a valid argument regarding the tactical advantages of concealed carry, however that changes dramatically by situation. In many cases the open presence of a firearm serves as a deterent. In either case though, your own situational awareness should be your first defense. Carrying smart sheds a positive light on guns. Be aware of your surroundings, carry in a holster with active retention, be polite and respectful when carrying, etc.

As far as police ignorance and legal issues with open carrying, I believe we are all well aware of the risks. However the at fault departments are constantly losing those battles and problems are becoming fewer and fewer. Court decisions, legislation, and education are all on our side and making progress. There are infinitely more positive or neutral public encounters with open carry than negative, and that cannot be looked at as anything other than positive. Every encounter is an opportunity to educate.

On another note, I personally don't open carry for encounters. I would rather go about my day without them, honestly. I open carry because sometimes (especially in the summer) it is more comfortable to open carry. I want to exercise my right and be comfortable, and I refuse to adjust how I want to dress simply because of how someone may "feel." It's legal and I am going to treat it as such. The more of us that do that the quicker the public can become re-accustomed to it.

If you look in history it used to be very common for firearms to be present in the open. As a matter of fact it was the concealed ones that brought negative attention. Criminals were the ones with the motives to hide their firearms. IMO, that's how it should be.

In closing, I respect anyone's own decisions on how they carry. I went for years and never open carried once. I know many people on this forum that don't open carry at all. That is fine. Everyone has that choice. Please don't ignore the positive effects of it for those of us that do open carry, however. The fact that there are some risks to it is the very reason that many people to open carry. Those risks are well documented here and on other sites. If no one goes out in the open and does this, then we will be doomed to lose the right...
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
jabeatty

Post by jabeatty »

spanishropes wrote:Getting your concealed carry license is priority one. Open carry puts you at a tactical disadvantage; you lose your edge over an assailant during the initial encounter.
I assume you realize you're spewing this in the Open Carry Discussion sub-forum... in which case, you deserve the abuse that will be heaped upon you. :)

ETA: Where the heck have you been hiding the last four years?
--
Someone edited my signature and deleted my posts, and all I got was... this edited signature.
Mrs. Daspirate

Post by Mrs. Daspirate »

spanishropes wrote:Getting your concealed carry license is priority one. Open carry puts you at a tactical disadvantage; you lose your edge over an assailant during the initial encounter.
That's a broad statement to make. For you that may be true, for me, and for many others, it is not. I, for instance, am more likely to invite attack by appearing and acting as if I cannot take care of myself, and I am more likely to look that way than any man. A gun in plain view goes a long way toward contradicting that appearance.

I would prefer not to have to PROVE I can take care of myself.
"Cultivators of the earth are the most valuable citizens. They are the most vigorous, the most independant, the most virtuous, and they are tied to their country and wedded to it's liberty and interests by the most lasting bands."
-Thomas Jefferson
fisher

Post by fisher »

I think it is a bad idea to send emails with your name, address,dob, and ssn on an email. There is a chance it might end up being viewed by the wrong person on the interwebs. I just don't see the point in including that.
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

James:

Stop abusing the guy and send him over to BFA. Rich'll fix him good :mrgreen:....

Seriously, I'm not into Open Carry. After more than 40 years, I just don't get excited by it.

HOWEVER, since it is recognized as legal (as a Constitutional Right), I really appreciate the lack of "printing" problems, like you can get into in TX. Otherwise, it's our choice, and the "desensitizing" argument is valid.

HOWEVER, the Constitution doesn't say a word about how, when, or where we "bear" such arms.... In short, CC is a right, as is OC, and carrying in buildings we paid for, as well as houses of worship, for example.

Licensing is the recognition of that right by the State.... Or, if you want to take it to a better level, notice that you've managed to pick up enough training to avoid killing the guy beside you on the range....

I carried Open, in a blue suit, for long enough to understand the whole "shoot me first" issue. To be honest, back in 1967-1973, vests were all but unknown, and a blue shirt was just ending it's reign as "good enough". We lived with it....

(My rent-a-cop Agency went to brown uniforms. That didn't help the "Superman" view at all :D....)

OK, repeat after me: "the right to bear arms...."

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
BB62

Post by BB62 »

Don't feed the troll.

Sorry, I don't have the troll picture, otherwise I'd post it with my pithy comment.
Yes, I do believe in open carry. An openly armed man is clear in his intentions. Concealed carriers are sneaks and skulkers and elitist, boot licking, political contribution making, running dog lackies of The Man. <wink> (thx grumpycoconut - OpenCarry.org)

Got Freedom?

Accountant, Computer & Management Consultant
Scuba Diver, NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

We haven't heard from the OP since his first and only post? Darn.
MyWifeSaidYes
spanishropes

Post by spanishropes »

Sorry for the delay....out of town for work.

I apologize if my previous post implied that OC is not a right. My preference is concealed carry, and I didn't mean to offend OC proponents.

The OC tactical disadvantage (my belief, clearly not that of many others) :) is a concern to me, as well as the legal aggravated menacing situation it could put me in. It's a law that hinges on "knowingly cause another to believe" that you may do serious physical harm to them. "Knowingly", the prosecutor would have to prove...but it seems easy for an alleged victim that already dislike the mere thought of handguns to say they "believed they were in danger of serious physical harm" because they saw your OC weapon and thought that the carrier looked at them funny, or bumped into them, etc.

But...just my opinion... :)