OFCC Compliance Team now forming

A sub-forum for the purpose of discussing ORC 9.68 compliance. This sub-forum is strictly for the discussion of progress in individual cities and their respective parks.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Forum rules
This sub-forum is strictly for the purpose of submitting of, and status updates related to, ORC 9.68 compliance. This could mean park bans, open carry bans, or anything that is a compliance issue. Note the format in which original threads were created. We'll track each individual case here and post updates if assistance is needed, etc. You may start a new thread here to notify us of a non-compliant scenario. Please try to research contact information for each city, village, etc, Email, fax, and postal addresses are great. Digital photos of infractions (Signs) are ideal. With limited exceptions this is NOT a discussion forum.

READ THIS BEFORE POSTING
SMMAssociates

Re: OFCC Compliance Team now forming

Post by SMMAssociates »

charben wrote:Frankly, I've tried to be away from these forums alot lately because people tick me off...
Chuck:

Been hanging with Morne again? Daylight seems to set him off :mrgreen: ....

(And good luck with the doctorate.)

We were talking about 9.68 v.s. the Boardman Twp. Park. A friend of mine's wife was a big shot there, but, unfortunately, she passed away a few months back. I probably could arrange a seance, but would likely have more luck with one of the other "managers" if you think it's necessary.

It sounds like they don't understand what 9.68 covers.

Which leads to another off-the-wall question: Lots of the park buildings are "pavilions" - basically concrete floors with a roof, and one or two walls (often a built-in grille for burgers & hot dogs on one wall, or some kind of fireplace). Do those qualify as "no carry"? (Kind of like the restrooms at a fairground.)

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

charben wrote:
Chuck wrote:Just checking to see if anything is happening yet

Not yet. Getting close. I'm at a critical place with my doctorate right now. Frankly, I've tried to be away from these forums alot lately because people tick me off...
I've noticed that....
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

SMMAssociates wrote:
Which leads to another off-the-wall question: Lots of the park buildings are "pavilions" - basically concrete floors with a roof, and one or two walls (often a built-in grille for burgers & hot dogs on one wall, or some kind of fireplace). Do those qualify as "no carry"? (Kind of like the restrooms at a fairground.)
I say heck no, mainly because there sure aren't employees there regularly. Also, with the lack of walls, such pavilions don't necessarily qualify as "buildings" by my reckoning, and the small print of Ohio's 'No Smoking' law would tend to verify my thinking. There have been numerous cigar events held in just such an open-sided pavilion down here, with the legal blessing of that county's Board of Health.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Isn't what you're referring to known as "shelters"?
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (B)
A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Chuck wrote:Isn't what you're referring to known as "shelters"?
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (B)
A valid license does not authorize the licensee to carry a concealed handgun into any of the following places:
(9) Any building that is a government facility of this state or a political subdivision of this state and that is not a building that is used primarily as a shelter, restroom, parking facility for motor vehicles, or rest facility and is not a courthouse or other building or structure in which a courtroom is located that is subject to division (B)(3) of this section;
That would be my take on it, too.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
djthomas

Post by djthomas »

As an aside I've always found the current wording of (B)(9) to be a bit ambiguous. All the more reason to just repeal it. Consider:

"Regularly" is not defined. There's two ways something can be regular - time-based or event-based. Time based would mean that something occurs at fixed intervals, such as every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Event based would mean that something occurs after a particular event. For example employees only go to the building and clean it after a resident has rented it for a party. If there's no parties for a month then no employees go there for a month.

The definition of a government facility used in (B)(9) closely mirrors the definition of federal facility used in federal law. The National Park Service has taken the term to mean scheduled. For instance when National Park carry came into effect they put out a press release stating that they are not posting the stand alone restrooms because although employees go in to clean them periodically nobody has a regular post (I believe they used the term duty station) in such buildings. On the other hand just about every community center in Ohio is posted even if it's nothing more than a city-owned dance hall used exclusively for private parties.

Next, "Shelter" has multiple meanings. The most obvious one is the park example with a pavilion or a bus shelter. But what about a county battered women's shelter, or the city animal shelter? There's no question that those are "shelters" and since the legislature didn't bother to provide a definition it goes to the dictionary definition which is quite broad.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Um...you guys are off topic.
Chris

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

charben wrote:Um...you guys are off topic.

Well hey look at the bright side...thanks in no small part to your efforts no longer can a decent argument be made that a Port-a-John at one of the old rest areas or state parks qualifies as a "building" where government business is regularly taking place.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

Brian D. wrote:
charben wrote:Um...you guys are off topic.

Well hey look at the bright side...thanks in no small part to your efforts no longer can a decent argument be made that a Port-a-John at one of the old rest areas or state parks qualifies as a "building" where government business is regularly taking place.
:)

At any rate, my intent is to have M&G's in 4-5 different parts of the state in May. However, I am kind of in a holding pattern because of my employment (of lack thereof). I expect to hear of something next week but until then, I really can't make any plans that I can commit to.
Chris

Harleys&Guns
Location: Pike County in South Central Ohio (50 miles from everywhere)

Post by Harleys&Guns »

Chris, I hereby volunteer to help in southern Ohio especially in the counties of Scioto, Ross, Pike and the surrounding areas near there. I am on the road alot but will help as much as I am able to when time and work allows. Also, this is conditional on the fact that Derek clobbers the prosecutor in Waverly Ohio so I dont have to spend any time in the Scioto County Calaboose since Pike County doesn't own a jail... :mrgreen:
The most terrifying sound in nature is not the roar of a charging lion,nor the whistle of a descending bomb; rather it is a "click" when expecting a "BANG"!

2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide- 103" Screaming Eagle
2008 Harley Davidson Sportster 883 Low (wife's ride)
US Army Vet- Ft Wood Mo-A Co. 501st S&T Bn.Furth,W Germany
4th Spt Bn. (Main) Nurnberg,WGermany-Op. Desert Shield/Storm '90-'91
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

Back from the dead. :lol: it is a shame this never got off the ground.
Black Rifles Matter
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

steves 50de wrote:Back from the dead. :lol: it is a shame this never got off the ground.
Stay tuned....it may be going somewhere. Not sure how far, but there will be an announcement soon.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
MyWifeSaidYes
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by MyWifeSaidYes »

Any volunteers? Speak up! :mrgreen:
MyWifeSaidYes
JediSkipdogg

Post by JediSkipdogg »

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:Any volunteers? Speak up! :mrgreen:
Shhhhh....not sure we can make it yet. You did sign your life away though. Still waiting your $5000 membership check to clear.
Carrying Concealed Handguns - Signage Answers

Ohio Concealed Carry Classes in S/W Ohio
http://www.ProShootersTraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not a lawyer. My answers are based on research, knowledge, and are generally backed up with facts, the Ohio Revised Code, or the United States Code.
Metal1

Post by Metal1 »

Youngstown here. Working on Poland as we speak.