D.Cam: Canton PD Notification Arrest & Officer Goes Berserk

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

fisher

Re: D.Cam: Canton PD Notification Arrest & Officer Goes Bers

Post by fisher »

Tweed Ring wrote:F; unfortunately, this does not seem to be an interaction amongst reasonable people. I interpret "prompt" to mean immediately. I had to notify a few years back - I talked over the officer until he told me to stop. He accepted that as notification.

The officer in question acted inappropriately. He should be subject to disciplinary action.

The driver should upgrade the quality of his passengers. He also should practice notification verbiage so it becomes second nature.
There are 5 people involved. Which ones are being unreasonable?

What does the ORC say about the defintion of "immediately"? Seems vague to me. Here is what Merriam-Webster says about "immediately" in regards to time:

"without interval of time"; And gives the following example:

"Dinner was served immediately after the ceremony". Was dinner served 30 seconds after the ceremony? 5 minutes? 20 minutes? Vague at best.

The driver had 1 passenger. That passenger was not arrested, or charged with a crime, as far as I know. He was not wanted for any warrants as far as I know. Perhaps I am missing something, but what is wrong with his quality?
"If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot"
-Joe Deters, Hamilton County Prosecutor
(Chant) Hey Hey, Ho Ho, This Nanny-State Has Got To Go. (Everyone, sing along).....
-Me
" I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"
-Kirk Lazarus
http://www.patriotguard.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gunbanobama.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cowboy1964

Post by cowboy1964 »

The law says must "promptly" inform. Whether 40 seconds is promptly may have to be up to the judge to decide.

Thank God for video cameras!
rottman43055

Post by rottman43055 »

Cmon now, he did say the man had a nice gun at th end !!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. The fearful are caught as often as the bold.
Helen Keller

The tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. - Thomas Jefferson
ArcherAce

Post by ArcherAce »

Did the office not know that his dash cam was on, or is this standard procedure for canton PD?

Is there any info on the officer? Does he have a history of this? Has he offered any kind of excuse or doesn't he feel he needs one?
"Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets."
bigdan390

Post by bigdan390 »

BCinOH wrote:Looks like it's time to fire Officer Roidrage and immediately charge him with Aggravated Menacing and Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law.
And I would argue Officer KeepMyMouthShut, is just as responsible for allowing Officer Roidrage to continue on his tirade. Not to be too terribly anti-cop, but allowing his partner's out of control actions is, IMO, malfeasance at the minimum. An accomplice at the worst.
fisher wrote:The driver had 1 passenger. That passenger was not arrested, or charged with a crime, as far as I know. He was not wanted for any warrants as far as I know. Perhaps I am missing something, but what is wrong with his quality?
One minor correction, the driver had 2 passengers. The alleged "prostitute" and the alleged "john". The alleged "prostitute" (I believe) was directed to leave.
cowboy1964 wrote:The law says must "promptly" inform. Whether 40 seconds is promptly may have to be up to the judge to decide.

Thank God for video cameras!
Amen cowboy1964. Amen!
BigDan390
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor

I am not a lawyer. I don't even play one on TV. Get your legal opinions from a professional.
Mine may not even be worth what you paid for them.
38smith

Post by 38smith »

What a nightmare Canton PD is. Glad there is a link to complain...err contact the mayor.
BorisTheSpider

Post by BorisTheSpider »

ArcherAce wrote:Did the office not know that his dash cam was on, or is this standard procedure for canton PD?

Is there any info on the officer? Does he have a history of this? Has he offered any kind of excuse or doesn't he feel he needs one?
Just spoke to a friend of mine who works in a nearby PD. Apparently, most of the Canton cars have a dash cam that can be turned off at will. Not quite all of them though.

What is interesting (to me) is that The officer is convinced that the woman is a prostitute, and the male passenger is her pimp, but he focuses on the driver instead. Well, that, and the fact he searched the car before securing all parties involved.

I didn't know police officers ever actually threatened to "put lumps on" people outside of 1950's mobster movies.

I've heard some things about officer # 2 but I won't bother spreading gossip on here, other than to say that that's not uncharacteristic of him.
bigdan390 wrote: And I would argue Officer KeepMyMouthShut, is just as responsible for allowing Officer Roidrage to continue on his tirade. Not to be too terribly anti-cop, but allowing his partner's out of control actions is, IMO, malfeasance at the minimum. An accomplice at the worst.
As I understand it, these two officers likely feed off the hateful energy of one another.

One more thought - if this wasn't a police officer (who just took it from him) but a random guy, I'm thinking the driver would have been justified in drawing his firearm. Am I wrong? If someone tells me they want to execute me while they manhandle me, I think that constitutes fear of death or serious injury.
Last edited by BorisTheSpider on Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
<disclaimer>If this post seems offensive, it was unintended; I probably chose my words poorly. If this post seems uneducated, that's entirely likely, but there is a slim possibility that I simply chose my words poorly. In either case, I apologize. Sit tight and someone more qualified will be along shortly.</disclaimer>
SMMAssociates

Post by SMMAssociates »

Just donated.....

Cross posted on BFA....

Sammy has offered a box of doggie treats, too. The Attack Cats prefer to confine their 2A activities to jumping on the keyboard while I'm doing stuff like this....

As to the incident.... Some of you guys know that I'm a semi-retired rent-a-cop, among other things. Certified by OPOTA back when the "regular" LEO's took the same course. I would have made the stop - enough to get my attention.... (It would have had to be on "my" property, of course, but I still might have called something in.) However, past that, about the only thing I saw that was proper was the way they parked the Patrol Unit....

I do think that the driver was a little lightweight in his notification, but I also see a serious lack of the ability to do so.... If an Officer tells you to shut up, do you have the obligation to crank him off by continuing to notify anyway? I hold that to be NO....

The Dispatcher may have been negligent in not informing the Officers immediately - might be somebody else to name in a suit, or to talk about procedures with....

The Officers - shameful.... I've never seen anything like that, and I was an insider for a long time....

My take is that they thought they had something - some sort of prostitution activity, perhaps, and may have decided to go easy on the driver v.s. the other two people involved. When nothing actionable turned up, they turned on him. That's when it got all unsoldered.... To some extent it may have been a "whew" reaction gone wrong as the existence of the CHL got known, but still way over the line....

I would go after the Dispatcher, the Officers, their Supervisors, and their trainers.... Even without the CHL, this shouldn't happen....

Regards,
Stu.

(Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?)

(Why do those who claim to wish to protect me feel that the best way to do that is to disarm me?)

יזכר לא עד פעם
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

If this clown act is typical then I guess it's no surprise that Bobby Cutts Junior was a Canton PD officer. Murder must run deep in the Canton PD.
"I shoulda just taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40 and just put ten bullets in your *** and let you drop. And I wouldn't of lost any sleep...And he would have been a nice witness as I executed you because you're stupid."
Canton PD needs Federal charges filed. Maybe a nice Federal investigation of their operation would bring some sunshine into the nest of rot and slime.
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Teknorat

Post by Teknorat »

I feel that this cop's attitude is representative of the way many cops act out there today.
I don't like guns... I love 'em.
Vex

Post by Vex »

I've got one thought on my mind after watching the video. Regardless of the legal issues, or what happened, or how long to notify, or whatever... I'm basically so angry right now I can't think about anything else than this:

Officer: "I tell you what I should've done. As soon as I saw your gun I should've taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40, and just put ten bullets in your *** and let you drop, and I wouldn't have lost any sleep."

I don't care what the guys done, he could be a crack dealer living next to a church for all I care... but I can't find the wording to express my utter disgust and anger right now at that officer (who needs to be fired immediately) without being banned for vulgarity, so I'll just shut up.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu
gmhiggins

Post by gmhiggins »

And he would have been a nice witness as I executed you because you're stupid.
This is the absolute most troubling part of it.

"My partner has my back and will lie in a report so I can commit cold blooded murder, execution style."

I just.....wow.
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Post by evan price »

Vex wrote:I've got one thought on my mind after watching the video. Regardless of the legal issues, or what happened, or how long to notify, or whatever... I'm basically so angry right now I can't think about anything else than this:

Officer: "I tell you what I should've done. As soon as I saw your gun I should've taken two steps back, pulled my Glock 40, and just put ten bullets in your *** and let you drop, and I wouldn't have lost any sleep."

I don't care what the guys done, he could be a crack dealer living next to a church for all I care... but I can't find the wording to express my utter disgust and anger right now at that officer (who needs to be fired immediately) without being banned for vulgarity, so I'll just shut up.
IMHO and I'm no clinical psychologist but this was probably triggered by the stress of the situation. It's why police officers sometimes beat the stuffing out of drivers after car chases. Emotions at a high stress level, then the sudden release, then the realization just what sort of danger the officers were in. Look at it this way- both of them screwed the pooch on the vehicle stop in procedural terms. They failed to secure the driver even before a vehicle search. They failed to assure officer safety. Officer #1 was occupied in interrogating the 'prostitute' while his partner was engaged with the vehicle search and had no oversight. Officer #2 was lying almost prone across the rear seat with his attention focused on the search. If the driver had been a bad guy Officer #2 would absolutely be in a body bag, no questions asked.

The problem however was the choice of how Officer #1 expressed himself. What he said is what he subconsciously feels and believes. There was no restraint. I submit this particular officer is burned out on the street. He is a danger to himself and the public at large. It will not be an IF it will be a WHEN he becomes violent, and may have already started expressing his pent up rage and frustration with violence ("Get out of here before I put lumps on you!" says to me that he may already be a member of the Hickory Shampoo club.)
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
Shorty Man

Post by Shorty Man »

Has anyone thought to send a copy or that video to the FBI. The FBI is responsible to investigate misconduct from public officials.
Vex

Post by Vex »

I don't buy it, Evan. The driver is finally able to tell the officers about the weapon at 6:58 in the video, and the threats about executing him are made at 13:38. I don't think this accounts for the 8 minutes they took identifying the passenger either, so we're potentially talking about approximately fourteen and a half minutes between finding the gun and threatening to execute the guy in front of his partner, who would back up his story. That's not stress according to anything I've experienced... that sounds like an unstable power trip.

Ridiculous, disgusting, embarrassing, and lots of other words too. I feel sorry for my profession after hearing this insanity. At the minimum, he needs to find another line of work, because that attitude doesn't belong in LE. Some people are cut out for this job, and some people aren't. I know some very good volunteer cops who can't get hired at their dream departments for a number of minor reasons (like downloading mp3s, trying LSD 10+ years ago, being 15 lbs overweight, or even just having poor uncorrected vision even though they're 20/20 with contacts), and this jackwagon is walking around threatening to execute people.

This video needs to find it's way to Fox News or another national media outlet. This is a very big deal.

Side note: I haven't heard of Hickory Shampoo in a long time.
Last edited by Vex on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • “You can get more of what you want with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word.” - Al Capone
  • “Victorious warriors win first, then go to war; defeated warriors go to war first, then seek to win.” - Sun-Tzu