Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

This forum is dedicated to the discussion of organizations that have declared their intent to cater to society's criminal element by prohibiting the legal carry of firearms on their premises. Please submit new CPZs to the DNPWA database on OhioCCW.org

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

mropencarry

Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

Post by mropencarry »

Both boat rides to the island post no concealed guns. I asked around (note to self, next time skip the teenage girls at the counter) and finally got an acceptable answer. The make believe commander at the Jet express said that because they were maritime vessels they operate under the same laws as the airport. It was also mentioned that, under the discretion of the pilot, you could hand him your firearm until you get to the island. Then he (according to spokesman) hands it over to the island police and then YOU have to explain why you need a gun over there.

Yes, I know. I ventured into the uneducated world of "no guns are good", and their job is to keep the island gun free. The spokesman said that "they" only allow the police to be armed. I see plenty of opportunity for a challenge. Maybe in time. Meanwhile, there are plenty of places that deserve my hard earned $$. :mrgreen:
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Jet Express and ferry to Put-in Bay

Post by charben »

mropencarry wrote:Both boat rides to the island post no concealed guns. I asked around (note to self, next time skip the teenage girls at the counter) and finally got an acceptable answer. The make believe commander at the Jet express said that because they were maritime vessels they operate under the same laws as the airport.
Then I would have asked to "check some baggage, please". ;) Plus, I don't recall having to have my gun turned over to the St. Louis PD when I flew there...

:evil:

ETA: I might have to try the "hand it to the pilot" thing just to see what the Island PD uses to try to deny me the right to carry there.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Sounds like something we need to get fixed, but when these laws get all maritime and federal it's tougher. Then again I take no one else's word about where 'NO GUNS' signs may or may not be, and spend my time looking for metal detectors rather than signs...
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
BigV

Post by BigV »

Two years ago I work armed security at one of the resorts on Put-N-Bay. I took Millers Ferry across the lake. They too had the no guns signs posted. I carried in uniform and was never questioned regarding my firearm. While working I called the Put-N-Bay police on several occasions to deal with drunk and disorderly patrons and was never question by the PD either.
BigV
Throttle

Post by Throttle »

I found the following on http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/opsguide/ohoplaws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Firearm Restrictions/Concealed Carry
(ORC 1547.69 & 2923.12)
Except for persons legally engaged in hunting, no person shall discharge a firearm while in or on a vessel.

Except for persons legally engaged in hunting OR persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, no person shall transport or have a loaded firearm in a vessel in such a manner that the firearm is accessible to the operator or any passenger.

Except for persons legally licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Ohio, no person shall transport or have a firearm in a vessel, unless it is unloaded and carried in a closed package, box, or case OR in plain sight with the action open or the weapon stripped.

This section does not apply to the possession or discharge of a U.S. Coast Guard approved distress signaling device when the device is possessed or used for the purpose of giving a distress signal. Such signaling devices shall only be loaded immediately prior to discharging a legal signal of distress.

No person shall operate or permit operation of a vessel in violation of this section."

Ed
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

Yeah, I knew there was something like that some where, but it was late and I was too tired to wrangle with them. I'll look around for some contact info after my wknd target shooting. :D
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

mropencarry wrote:Both boat rides to the island post no concealed guns. I asked around (note to self, next time skip the teenage girls at the counter) and finally got an acceptable answer. The make believe commander at the Jet express said that because they were maritime vessels they operate under the same laws as the airport. It was also mentioned that, under the discretion of the pilot, you could hand him your firearm until you get to the island. Then he (according to spokesman) hands it over to the island police and then YOU have to explain why you need a gun over there.

Yes, I know. I ventured into the uneducated world of "no guns are good", and their job is to keep the island gun free. The spokesman said that "they" only allow the police to be armed. I see plenty of opportunity for a challenge. Maybe in time. Meanwhile, there are plenty of places that deserve my hard earned $$. :mrgreen:
Isn't that service a private buisness? If so then your pretty much screwed and they can post. As for the no guns on the island then I think some education is in order with the Po Po there. PIB is part of Ohio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

How many ferry services are in business there? Couldn't one of our northern coordinators visit them and see if one would be a designated transportation to CHL's. Remind them that there are potentially 140,000 willing and paying customers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life Member NRA
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Put-in-Bay is, and will continue to be a mini police state. So many people have gotten too drunk and belligerent over the years, the PD there has evolved into a kind of martial law. Lorain gets a Jet Express boat open for business here in four weeks. I want to go this summer, but I'll go to extreme measures to stay out of trouble over there. I have learned to fear them. You can have a good time, but be really careful over there. If you take a vehicle over, park it and ride a bicycle. If you have a drink, walk.
The British are going! The British are going!
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

muxtech wrote:Put-in-Bay is, and will continue to be a mini police state. So many people have gotten too drunk and belligerent over the years, the PD there has evolved into a kind of martial law. Lorain gets a Jet Express boat open for business here in four weeks. I want to go this summer, but I'll go to extreme measures to stay out of trouble over there. I have learned to fear them. You can have a good time, but be really careful over there. If you take a vehicle over, park it and ride a bicycle. If you have a drink, walk.
Just looking up instructors and looks like there is one listed on PIB, Adams, Jay-Michael (740) 502-9045 so apparently there are people there that carry. Police state or not they must abide by the law.
Life Member NRA
charben
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by charben »

I'm probably the closest coordinator to PIB and Port Clinton (when I'm not here on Hilton Head!). I'd be happy to start a few conversations.
Chris

Crushing the First Amendment, one post at a time!

"If you walk out of your house carrying your gun (openly or otherwise) and you DO NOT fully understand the law, then you are NOT completely armed..."
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

charben wrote:I'm probably the closest coordinator to PIB and Port Clinton (when I'm not here on Hilton Head!). I'd be happy to start a few conversations.
It would seem to me if I qualify to take a vehicle over, (you have to qualify) I could lock it in the trunk unloaded under federal regulation. Then rearm under Ohio CHL once off the ferry. Problem is, most day trips go over on foot with or without a bicycle via ferry or jet express. Can we unload magazines and stow a box of ammo in the carry on bag? Of course private boat owners are another story. I'll be interested to hear about this. It should be interesting.

I haven't been in years. I do want to take the kiddo over on the new local service this summer.

Edit: I found this. Miller Ferry security policies:
Q: Are permitted weapons allowed to be carried onboard?
A: No concealed weapons are allowed on Miller Boat Line vessels. Permitted weapons carried in a vehicle, luggage or on a person; must have ammunition separated from the weapon or the weapon must have a trigger lock mechanism in place. This policy will respect your right of a permit and allow for safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations.
http://www.millerferry.com/about/maritimesecurity.html
Islander

Post by Islander »

Millers boat line is within walking distance of my back door. (Summer home) The PIB police have become very strict in enforcing the law because of the large number of party people that visit the island. I'd be willing to help get the policy changed if we can, but due to the nature of the business on South Bass it will be a battle.
Steve
muxtech

Post by muxtech »

Jet Express website is incomplete and says security info will be forthcoming.

And Chris, per our conversation, in Lorain, it will be docked at the Black River Landing. So it's going under the bascule bridge. $60.00 adult round trip. Cha ching.
mropencarry

Post by mropencarry »

Q: Are permitted weapons allowed to be carried onboard?
A: No concealed weapons are allowed on Miller Boat Line vessels. Permitted weapons carried in a vehicle, luggage or on a person; must have ammunition separated from the weapon or the weapon must have a trigger lock mechanism in place. This policy will respect your right of a permit and allow for safe transit under the guidelines of the Maritime Security Regulations.
[s/a comment omitted so's I don't torque off Millers Boat Line]. But it looks like you unload for the hour trip, then reload when you get there, enjoy the island cc'ing, then tell Jet express to pee up a rope. :D