Cargo pants or ?? for C.C.

This is a forum for OFCC's ladies to chat about their unique challenges when it comes to carry, or any other subject.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Gumby

Cargo pants or ?? for C.C.

Post by Gumby »

Can anyone recommend slacks/pants that work best for concealed carry? I would possibly use a pocket holster but would also be interested in IWB or thunderwear.

If it helps, I am tall, kinda skinny. And old.
Gumby

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
srbbear

Re: Cargo pants or ?? for C.C.

Post by srbbear »

Never thought of Thunderwear....might be an idea. I have an Bersa .380 that is difficult at times because of the weight and bulkiness. I know, a belt would probably help but I would have to purchase a whole new wardrobe cause my dress pant dont have them, course I cant take "Cecil" to work with me anyhow. A shoulder holster might work, but we have problems with those too that guys dont.

My IWB makes one side of me look...thicker? lol That bugs me cause it makes it more obvious. Dont like to carry in my purse either, too risky for a purse snatcher.

It actually works better with the cargo pants you mentioned, I wear the capri style mostly in the warmer months and that helps cause you can tighten them to fit what you need. Just wear longer shirts to cover waist line adequately.

One thing that bothers me is I wear my IWB at 2 o'clock, which is right in front of my hip bone, which is dangerously close to that main artery at the top of the leg when you sit down. I know it shouldnt go off on its own, but that thought just lingers when you can feel it there.

I am open to any suggestions!
DEFCON1

Post by DEFCON1 »

It's interesting you would bring this up. I started to wonder about cargo pants myself as I started thinking about warmer weather coming. I like to carry in a shoulder rig in the winter because I can get away with not taking off my big heavy coat most of the time. I have very few IWB holsters, and I'm seemingly picky about what I like and what is comfortable to me.

I began thinking about the big pocket on the side of cargo pants and shorts. I'm in the process of figuring out what would work, and might sacrifice a few pairs in the experiment.

I have considered completely removing the pocket and wearing something like a tactical rig under the shorts, but would have to come up with something to use a regular belt, so special clips would need to be made for support.

I have also considered cutting slats inside the existing pocket to secure the holster around my leg, and reduce the flopping around of two pounds of gun. Just stuff a bunch of stuff in one of those pockets and walk around and you'll see what I mean.

That big pocket seems to be an obvious choice for CCW, but I'm unaware of any company making products to take advantage of it.

Chris
Member in exile, out searching for Scavok.
Jake
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Jake »

Check your local Wally World for "Dickies" work pants.

Many styles of that brand work great for that purpose.
NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Hope for the Best. Plan for the Worst.

http://www.salemhuntingclub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-loca ... -reps.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Morne
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by Morne »

The best part about cargo pants is you have those lower pockets for everything OTHER than your gun. I still would use the regular pockets for pocket-carry, though. Remember - your muscle memory doesn't know which pants you put on that morning.
Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Footsoldier in the Conservative Insurrection of the GOP.

Remember, only you can prevent big government!
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

DEFCON1 wrote:I have also considered cutting slats inside the existing pocket to secure the holster around my leg, and reduce the flopping around of two pounds of gun. Just stuff a bunch of stuff in one of those pockets and walk around and you'll see what I mean.
Chris
Like the idea of the slats in the pocket! So far, the only women's cargo pants that I'm finding have teeny little decorative pockets, not really useful at all. I may check out men's styles, I am built fairly straight rather than curvy so that might work for me.

Wish I were more clever with a sewing machine - maybe I'll have to try making something practical like that.
Gumby

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
DEFCON1

Post by DEFCON1 »

Gumby wrote:
Like the idea of the slats in the pocket! So far, the only women's cargo pants that I'm finding have teeny little decorative pockets, not really useful at all. I may check out men's styles, I am built fairly straight rather than curvy so that might work for me.

Wish I were more clever with a sewing machine - maybe I'll have to try making something practical like that.
I understand. I don't blame women for going out and buying clothes all the time. Women's clothing for the most part is poorly made, and full of decorative things, like those pockets, you can't use. Women's shoes are the same way, not made to last or be useful.
IMHO if you really want to do this you will have to investigate men's clothing.

There have been many times in life I couldn't find exactly what I wanted, so I have had to make it myself. This might be another case of that.

One of my few IWB holsters is one for my Makarov that I had to make by hand out of pieces of one of those worthless Bulgarian shoulder holsters available in bulk online. It took me three days in my spare time to hand sew the straps and thumbsnap on it. It's ugly, but it has worked for years, it is comfortable, and it is exactly what I wanted.

Desantis makes a holster called the Nemesis. It's clever, and would work for a cargo pocket, but I wouldn't give it much faith in dampening any flopping around.

I googled "cargo pocket holster" and this came up:
http://www.handgunholsters.net/

Apparently someone has come up with a system close to what I was thinking about. There goes another million dollar idea....

I have been measuring and weighing my options with this cargo pocket idea. Not all of the pockets are created equal. The pockets on Milspec BDU's are more shallow than I remembered, and quite wide. The pockets on most "civillian" cargo shorts and pants seem to be about the right size to hide something about the size of a J frame S&W .38 or a Walther PPK or a makarov, but nothing larger. They are also not true pockets like inside a bomber jacket. They are just an extra panel sewn onto the outside of a regular pair of pants, so modification will mean actually cutting into or sewing onto the actual pants and not just destroying the pocket.

I'll keep thinking about this..

Chris
Gumby

Post by Gumby »

Hey I am thinking about ordering a pair of these cargo pants from Cabela's. They look like the pockets are nice and roomy, and I'm hoping my pocket holster will fit into one of the pockets.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0033670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anybody tried them? It's hard to find women's pants with REAL pockets.
Gumby

TunnelRat
Deceased
Deceased

Post by TunnelRat »

Gumby wrote:Hey I am thinking about ordering a pair of these cargo pants from Cabela's. They look like the pockets are nice and roomy, and I'm hoping my pocket holster will fit into one of the pockets.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... id=0033670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anybody tried them? It's hard to find women's pants with REAL pockets.
Try a pair of these.

I have several pairs of these (not in the womyn's version). They seem to hold their shape, wear well, and function easily.
TunnelRat

"Applying the standard that is well established in our case law, we hold that the Second Amendment right is fully applicable to the States." ~ McDonald v. Chicago

When your only tools are a hammer and sickle, every problem starts to look like too much freedom.
Plinko

Post by Plinko »

TunnelRat wrote:I have several pairs of these (not in the womyn's version).
I'm not so sure that I believe that statement Tunnel :roll: :lol:
DEFCON1

Post by DEFCON1 »

Bringing this thread back from the dead... DeSantis is offering a version of their Nemesis holster now that is designed just for cargo pockets...

http://www.desantisholster.com/storefro ... _id=122115

Apparently the market is producing a demand.

Chris
sabalo
Deceased
Deceased

Post by sabalo »

One problem :
PRODUCT INFORMATION

· Available in Black

· Dimensions: 6 ¼" W x 5" H

· Caution: Carrying in an oversized cargo pocket will allow holster to move allowing it to shift out of place or rotate.
Not much of a recommendation. :)
======================================================
The beatings will continue until morale improves !

"It's bowb your buddy week."
Harry Harrison - DEATHWORLD

Let's all remember that 9 Bengals were arrested in a 9 month period !
(Source-ESPN)

Jerk Herder®
Youner2345

Post by Youner2345 »

I still would use the regular pockets for pocket-carry but in the past i would not like it at all...now am habituated..
pleasantguywhopacks
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pleasantguywhopacks »

Do they make cargo pants for the ladies? If so I don't see why they wouldn't work.

I wear Wrangler brand cargo pants from Walmart. Use a pocket holster as well as my bug and it seems to ride just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOxXpNBdrVE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away!
Life Member NRA
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

+1 on the LA Police Gear 5.11's. Just picked up 3 pair and I like 'em alot. There's a $10.00 coupon out there somewhere.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB