Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Post Reply
M-Quigley
Posts: 4788
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by M-Quigley »

I normally don't post about LE encounters outside of Ohio but this one is classic, has video.

Even though he emptied a mag he fortunately didn't hit the suspect or any innocent bystanders. The cop at one point said, "I'm hit!" but he was mistaken.
The suspect had been searched, handcuffed, and in the back of the cruiser. Some of his rounds even missed the cruiser completely.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/14/news/flor ... r-gunshot/
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by schmieg »

Wow!

I will admit that I once mistook a backfire for a shot. I had just arrived home after my tour in Viet Nam and my wife picked me up at the airport. We were walking through the parking lot on the way to the car when a nearby vehicle backfired. I grabbed my wife and pushed her down into the snow on the ground with me on top of her before I realized what had happened.

I'm not nearly so skittish today, 51 years later.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley
Posts: 4788
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:09 pm Wow!

I will admit that I once mistook a backfire for a shot. I had just arrived home after my tour in Viet Nam and my wife picked me up at the airport. We were walking through the parking lot on the way to the car when a nearby vehicle backfired. I grabbed my wife and pushed her down into the snow on the ground with me on top of her before I realized what had happened.

I'm not nearly so skittish today, 51 years later.
I guess if that would've been his reaction I could've understood it maybe. What he did though potentially endangered the lives of innocent people, it was very fortunate that the suspect and any innocent people past the cruiser wasn't hit, nor was any property of innocent people damaged. (that we know of so far) The cop I saw once shoot a unarmed suspect 6 times and missed, all his bullets hit a wall of a business that was closed, no potential harm to innocent people, although I guess that maybe that business had a claim against the dept. for damages? Actually I have no idea. If a cop shoots and their rounds damages a structure, do the owners have a claim against the agency or are they given a free pass under Ohio law?

In the story in the OP, it said the suspect was emotionally traumatized. :roll: So was the suspect I saw back in the day. He actually appreciated me taking him into temporary custody, as I was between him and the cop who then realized that he screwed up, and I guess was too busy thinking about that to do it himself. I told my supervisor later that at first I was a little concerned the guy would reload and start shooting again, this time at both of us (I was in full uniform) but then thought after what he did he probably couldn't hit either of us anyway. :roll: Can a suspect sue for emotional trauma for incidents like this?
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by schmieg »

Anybody can sue for anything - it's keeping the case in court, winning and collecting that can be a problem.

Offhand, I'd say the suspect might have a case with this fact pattern.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley
Posts: 4788
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:53 pm Anybody can sue for anything - it's keeping the case in court, winning and collecting that can be a problem.

Offhand, I'd say the suspect might have a case with this fact pattern.
When you say the suspect, you mean the one I saw, the one in the car in the news story, or both? I could've attested to the facts that he was unarmed and had his palms outward, the guy I saw, but then I wasn't involved in the chase where he ditched the gun along the way. (which they ended up finding anyway)

Unfortunately there are too many cities nowadays that would probably settle out of court for a large sum.

Regardless, I think in either situation, he suspects should forget about the "emotional trauma" part and just be thankful they weren't shot, but then I'm a half full glass kind of guy. :roll: And also maybe they should look at what got them put in those situations in the first place, and maybe make some changes in themselves.
User avatar
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator
Posts: 5755
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Madeira, Ohio

Re: Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 pm
schmieg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:53 pm Anybody can sue for anything - it's keeping the case in court, winning and collecting that can be a problem.

Offhand, I'd say the suspect might have a case with this fact pattern.
When you say the suspect, you mean the one I saw, the one in the car in the news story, or both? I could've attested to the facts that he was unarmed and had his palms outward, the guy I saw, but then I wasn't involved in the chase where he ditched the gun along the way. (which they ended up finding anyway)

Unfortunately there are too many cities nowadays that would probably settle out of court for a large sum.

Regardless, I think in either situation, he suspects should forget about the "emotional trauma" part and just be thankful they weren't shot, but then I'm a half full glass kind of guy. :roll: And also maybe they should look at what got them put in those situations in the first place, and maybe make some changes in themselves.
The one in the car. While I agree with your feelings about it, from a legal standpoint, I think he has a case. How much it's worth is another issue.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley
Posts: 4788
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:06 pm
Location: Western Ohio

Re: Cop resigns after spraying his cruiser with a mag full because an acorn dropped on the roof of a car

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:55 pm
M-Quigley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 pm
schmieg wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:53 pm Anybody can sue for anything - it's keeping the case in court, winning and collecting that can be a problem.

Offhand, I'd say the suspect might have a case with this fact pattern.
When you say the suspect, you mean the one I saw, the one in the car in the news story, or both? I could've attested to the facts that he was unarmed and had his palms outward, the guy I saw, but then I wasn't involved in the chase where he ditched the gun along the way. (which they ended up finding anyway)

Unfortunately there are too many cities nowadays that would probably settle out of court for a large sum.

Regardless, I think in either situation, he suspects should forget about the "emotional trauma" part and just be thankful they weren't shot, but then I'm a half full glass kind of guy. :roll: And also maybe they should look at what got them put in those situations in the first place, and maybe make some changes in themselves.
The one in the car. While I agree with your feelings about it, from a legal standpoint, I think he has a case. How much it's worth is another issue.
I guess I could see how the guy I saw had a better case on being traumatized emotionally, he's looking directly at someone shooting at him from a close range. I never had someone so thankful for being taken into temporary custody. :roll: I stayed with him until one of the other officers who arrived took charge of him and put him in a cruiser, I guess hoping the probationary cop wouldn't start shooting again if I was standing there. :( I guess it helped him feel safer. :roll:

I don't think the cop in the news story was a rookie, IDK what his excuse was. :(
Post Reply