Senate Dems wanted AW ban, universal background checks, passed by unanimous consent, blocked by Republicans

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Senate Dems wanted AW ban, universal background checks, passed by unanimous consent, blocked by Republicans

Post by M-Quigley »

So far all Senate Republicans can do even during the times when they are in the majority is play defense but at least they still do that. :roll:

https://www.whio.com/news/local/senate- ... 4YTTPNDO4/
evan price
Forum Janitor
Forum Janitor

Re: Senate Dems wanted AW ban, universal background checks, passed by unanimous consent, blocked by Republicans

Post by evan price »

What are they down to now, one seat majority?
"20% accurate as usual, Morty."

Striking down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not bickering!
Carpe Noctem- we get more done after 2 am than most people do all day.
M-Quigley

Re: Senate Dems wanted AW ban, universal background checks, passed by unanimous consent, blocked by Republicans

Post by M-Quigley »

evan price wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 12:48 pm What are they down to now, one seat majority?
Yes, not counting the VP who can be a tiebreaker. Fortunately in 2024 only 10 Republican seats are up for reelection, while 20 Democratic seats are up for grabs, which in theory means the Republicans have a decent shot of regaining the majority. And of course all the reps in Congress are up for reelection.

I think the most important issue when it comes to gun rights now isn't legislation but who the president will be in 2024, because it is the president who nominates federal judges and SCOTUS justices. If Biden remains the president there's a good chance he will get to nominate a justice and that might shift the balance of power away from the justices who actually read the constitution and go by what is says, and interpret it the way the founding fathers intended, instead of their own desires.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

I think you guys are conflating two different things. The Dems are the majority in the Senate. The House of Representatives is where all the R retirements are coming in and is now down to a 1 seat Repub majority. The VP tie breaker is in the Senate.... not the House.

The proposed ban was in the Senate.... and it was blocked because it couldn't get 60 votes to break a filibuster... not because the Repubs are the majority (which they aren't).
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

FormerNavy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 10:40 am I think you guys are conflating two different things. The Dems are the majority in the Senate. The House of Representatives is where all the R retirements are coming in and is now down to a 1 seat Repub majority. The VP tie breaker is in the Senate.... not the House.

The proposed ban was in the Senate.... and it was blocked because it couldn't get 60 votes to break a filibuster... not because the Repubs are the majority (which they aren't).
Perhaps I misspoke when I said the Dems have a 1 seat majority in the Senate. Technically there are allegedly 49 R's, 48 D's, but the 3 so called independents all caucus with the D's, so the D's technically have a 1 seat majority. I already said the VP was the tiebreaker in the Senate, and I didn't see anyone say anything different. I assumed evan price was referring to the Senate when he asked about a 1 seat majority because the OP was about the Senate, not the house.

As far as I'm aware of, the AW ban didn't even come up for a vote in the House, and not likely to do so this year. While it's true that there are some retirements in the House, all of the congresscritters are up for reelection (if they choose to run for reelection) every 2 years, and potentially could be kicked out by the voters if they choose to.

There's an old saying about keeping your ear to the ground. I have it on good authority that in 2024 the Dem's supporters are going to continue to run on abortion more so than gun control, specifically asking R candidates if they support a national abortion ban. If they say yes at all, they will be vilified, not just by them but their willing accomplices in the MSM. There are some liberals who also want to make gun control a major issue, but they've found the abortion issue sells better. The goal is get control any way they can with whatever issue sells best and then they can advance gun control issues whether the voters like it or not.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 229238002/