Survivor of Moraine Dmax shooting has lawyer, might sue GM over their "no guns" policies without enforcing it

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Survivor of Moraine Dmax shooting has lawyer, might sue GM over their "no guns" policies without enforcing it

Post by M-Quigley »

https://www.whio.com/news/local/i-thoug ... 4E4UK3KPM/

He or his lawyer are looking into whether or not GM did enough to prevent the shooting. Yes they put up "no gun" signs but until now they didn't actually do anything to enforce it, to prevent someone who was planning on committing murder anyway from bringing in a gun and start shooting.
Basically like 99.9% of businesses that either has a no guns sign or tells their employees "if you bring a gun to defend yourself you'll be fired".

The last thing I said was just an example. It doesn't sound like the victim wanted to defend himself, he wanted GM to actually enforce the no guns policy like they are now doing. It's not just looking in backpacks or lunchboxes either, it's allegedly according to one news source having employees lift up their shirts to expose their belts. The attorney, if he sues, will be claiming an unsafe work environment.

One of the things allegedly brought up is how security generally stays outside the plant instead of patrolling inside, but the article didn't say if the security was armed. If security had been inside, yes they could've responded sooner to the shooting scene but maybe not prevented it. Having worked security at plants with unions back in the day the guards were limited in the reasons they could go inside, as the union said the presence of guards, even completely unarmed and with only a radio, created an intimidating work environment. There is some historical animosity between unions and plant security, which dates back to guards using physical violence during a strike, including shooting unarmed strikers. (like 100-120 years ago)

If the attorney files a suit and wins, it could potentially set a bad precedent for other businesses who have a "no guns" policy but don't actually enforce it.
EricTheBald

Re: Survivor of Moraine Dmax shooting has lawyer, might sue GM over their "no guns" policies without enforcing it

Post by EricTheBald »

In my opinion, anyone who puts up a “no gun“ sign is assuming responsibility for my safety.

Not that I actually trust any of these knuckleheads to fulfill those responsibilities…
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
pirateguy191

Re: Survivor of Moraine Dmax shooting has lawyer, might sue GM over their "no guns" policies without enforcing it

Post by pirateguy191 »

EricTheBald wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:11 am In my opinion, anyone who puts up a “no gun“ sign is assuming responsibility for my safety.

If you aren't paying them to be responsible for YOUR safety, why are they responsible for YOUR safety?
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

Because if they expect me to give up my ability to defend myself, they have a responsibility to provide that defense FOR me.

If they are not willing to do that, they shouldn’t make stupid requests.
-

-
pirateguy191

Post by pirateguy191 »

EricTheBald wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:24 pm Because if they expect me to give up my ability to defend myself, they have a responsibility to provide that defense FOR me.

If they are not willing to do that, they shouldn’t make stupid requests.
I guess I should read first next time. I thought this was a different situation. My bad.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem." - Ronald Reagan

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." ~ Mike Vanderboegh

NRA member, NRA basic pistol instructor, DBACB
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

No worries.
-

-
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

EricTheBald wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 10:11 am In my opinion, anyone who puts up a “no gun“ sign is assuming responsibility for my safety.
Of course, Ohio law disagrees - and, there is a strong argument (except for public property like government buildings, etc.) that since you knowingly enter such a place, you and you alone assume the risk.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Whether or not the attorney decides to file or not, he probably has already benefited from all the free publicity, with all the local news sources putting his name and image with the story. :roll:
eugene

Post by eugene »

My bet is more big companies HR department will become more anti gun and do things like searching bags and/or policies disallowing guns in cars in the parking lots (yes I know they can't but that doesn't always stop them)
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

eugene wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:06 pm My bet is more big companies HR department will become more anti gun and do things like searching bags and/or policies disallowing guns in cars in the parking lots (yes I know they can't but that doesn't always stop them)
In the past at least one GM plant has had a domestic violence shooting in their parking lot. Of course a mere policy won't stop this, just as a mere policy didn't stop the DMAX shooting, and it would be highly unlikely GM is going to search everyone's car that comes in.