SB58

Discussion of Firearm Politics & Legislation. This forum is now strictly limited to discussions directly related to firearms.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

SB58

Post by Chuck »

First, here's a link:
https://www.ohiochannel.org/video/ohio- ... -5-10-2023

The first forty-some minutes are Senators Johnson and Gavarone, (two Terry's) introducing their bill to the House Insurance Committee.
Senate Bill 58 amends ORC 9.68 by prohibiting political subdivisions from requiring liability insurance or requiring fees to legally own a firearm.

My off the wall predicition is that this bill becomes this sessions lame duck Christmas tree
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
Bearable

Re: SB58

Post by Bearable »

Wow, having to pass a statute that gives notice to those persons who took an oath to not violate the Ohio and U.S. constitution. What a novel idea.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck and Bearable, before I go to the trouble of reading it, please tell me whether or not this proposed new law has enforcement teeth. If not, well, it's hard for me to care much.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

Brian D. wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:42 pm Chuck and Bearable, before I go to the trouble of reading it, please tell me whether or not this proposed new law has enforcement teeth. If not, well, it's hard for me to care much.
It's amending 9.68 so I guess it depends on whether or not you think 9.68 has teeth. The attorneys fees provision is there but not much else.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Brian D. wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 12:42 pm Chuck and Bearable, before I go to the trouble of reading it, please tell me whether or not this proposed new law has enforcement teeth. If not, well, it's hard for me to care much.
Nope
Enforcement's the same
Just adding to the list.
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

FormerNavy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:30 pm
It's amending 9.68 so I guess it depends on whether or not you think 9.68 has teeth.
I certainly don't. Smells like fresh garbage to me. Thanks for replying though, seriously.

********************************************************************************
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Chuck wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 6:14 pm
Nope
Enforcement's the same
Just adding to the list.
Thanks Chuck. Guess I'll have to find something else to be happy about today. :mrgreen:

M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Like you I would like to see some legal punishment for big city politicians who violate the constitution, because it seems they don't care about merely wasting the taxpayers money by passing ordinances that currently violate 9.68 I do however think adding these two to the list of 9.68 violations is a good thing however because I know the anti gun zealots are trying to get politicians to pass anything they can. Of the two, what I've heard the strongest is the insurance part. Occasionally I hear a complaint about how a politician in a certain city in Ohio "doesn't have the courage to do what Columbus did" because he (the politician) used the excuse that it would be taken to court and cities have already lost in court on previous gun issues thanks to 9.68. Big city politicians hate 9.68 with a passion but it does give a few cities pause.
Last edited by M-Quigley on Fri May 12, 2023 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearable

Post by Bearable »

I'm working on a law review in regards to RC §§ 2923.12 and 2923.16 as being unconstitutional per Heller and Bruen. And to show that RC § 9.68 is a contradiction in of itself. It says the state knows that the state has no Constitutional authority to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms then says the state is going to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms.

I'm hoping to have this law review completed by the end of next week.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Bearable wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:17 am I'm working on a law review in regards to RC §§ 2923.12 and 2923.16 as being unconstitutional per Heller and Bruen. And to show that RC § 9.68 is a contradiction in of itself. It says the state knows that the state has no Constitutional authority to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms then says the state is going to regulate the keeping and bearing of arms.

I'm hoping to have this law review completed by the end of next week.
I would love to know about your review, and if there is any way I can help.
I agree with your premise, even though I had a hand in crafting many of the laws you wish to repeal.
I played the hand I was dealt and make no apologies and I sincerely hope that some young whippersnapper will help carry the ball the rest of the way. I'm all tuckered out.
Ain't activism fun?

carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Come on now Chuck..look at it this way..Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, just to name a few..kidding of course..No pay hard work lots of time spent..You did a great job keeping us clowns going.
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens