Homeowner isn't charged after shooting home invaders and why is this a national news story?

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

Homeowner isn't charged after shooting home invaders and why is this a national news story?

Post by M-Quigley »

When I went to check the local news on WHIO (a TV and radio station in Dayton) this story was listed, from the Cox national news desk.
While it's a good story I don't understand why WHIO chose to link it to their website, as this is not some rare event, and it happened some 300 miles from Dayton.

https://www.whio.com/news/trending/home ... KO77ZGQHY/
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. — A Tennessee homeowner will not face charges after he opened fire at two intruders on Friday, killing one and injuring the other, authorities said.

According to a news release from the Murfreesboro Police Department, two masked men broke into the victim’s home at about 8:24 p.m. CDT. Police said the man was able to retrieve his gun after the men used a stun gun on the victim’s dog and held his teenage son at gunpoint, WZTV reported.

The man fired his weapon and killed 52-year-old Kevin Ford, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police later arrested the second alleged assailant, identified as 42-year-old Clifford Wright. Police said that Wright had fled to a Salvation Army shelter in downtown Murfreesboro and was suffering from multiple gunshot wounds, WTVF reported.

Wright was taken to an area hospital and arrested after he was treated and released from medical care, police said.

He was charged with aggravated burglary, attempted aggravated robbery, being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm and possession of a firearm during the commission of a violent felony.

The homeowner, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told WTVF that he heard his dog make a noise “like something was hurting” and then he heard the stun gun.

“It was either them or me -- that’s how I was looking at it and I was making sure it wasn’t me or my family,” the homeowner told the television station. “I wish it wouldn’t have happened but I’m glad it went my way instead of their way.”

According to Tennessee statutes, “(a) person in lawful possession of real or personal property is justified in threatening or using force against another, when and to the degree it is reasonably believed the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.”

Wright remains in the Rutherford County Adult Detention Center with bail set at $700,000, police said.
Bearable

Re: Homeowner isn't charged after shooting home invaders and why is this a national news story?

Post by Bearable »

I don't know, but we know that Dayton is an antigun city.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Homeowner isn't charged after shooting home invaders and why is this a national news story?

Post by schmieg »

Bearable wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 am I don't know, but we know that Dayton is an antigun city.
Yeah, but it sort of goes against the narrative that guns aren't used to stop crimes and those kept at home are only used to kill family members.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Bearable wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 11:00 am I don't know, but we know that Dayton is an antigun city.
The politicians in Dayton are no different than Columbus or Cleveland, or any other large city. They're almost all Democrats and all of those Democrats are anti gun. While Dayton politicians constantly blame any crime they do have on guns, and complain about pre preemption tying their hands, they haven't yet enacted things like a 30 round magazine ban. (yet) Perhaps they're just waiting to see what happens in the Columbus case.

Speaking of Columbus there were at least 3 Dayton news sources who reported that Columbus had 10 shooting recently, and then played a video of the mayor blaming guns, and also not getting enough help from the feds in enforcing gun laws.

There was a news story not too long ago of a homeowner in a city just north of Dayton doing the exact same thing as the homeowner in Tenn. shooting home invaders successfully, and WHIO reported it, which I totally get. If however a TV news station 300 miles away in another state reported the Dayton Oh story I'd be wondering why also, unless there was something significant about it that makes it a national story.

I'm not complaining about WHIO reporting the story at all though, :) just curious as to why. In fact, if almost all gun crime is going to be reported by a station even if it's on the other side of the country then I'd like to see some balance.