CHL Renewal Reports

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Re: CHL Renewal Reports

Post by Brian D. »

WY_Not wrote:Passport photo for a renewal? Thought renewals just needed an application, the fee, and the old CHL as proof of renewal?
Some counties specify that you bring along a "current" passport-SIZED photo. Lots of places to get that done instantly.

TSiWRX would laugh at my old school way of accomplishing this task. One of those self serve little booths in the aisle of a shopping mall. Four pictures for a dollar or whatever the machines charge now.

Of course those booths are getting hard to find. For that matter, so are shopping malls. :lol:
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

WY_Not wrote:Passport photo for a renewal? Thought renewals just needed an application, the fee, and the old CHL as proof of renewal?
You thought correctly. The law regarding renewals does not specify that a passport photo is required. Still, we get reports of some counties requiring one. If someone nearing renewal in one of those counties is willing to fight it, I imagine they would likely be able to get it fixed. But, it's so minor of a thing that so far that hasn't happened.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Yeah, it is still annoying that the chief LEO in a county can't be bothered to follow the law. But to a very limited extent I can understand it in certain situations. First time I renewed in Miami County after moving back from Cuyahoga County (original and renewals up to that point were in Medina County) they asked that i bring passport pics because i was not in their system, only Medina's system. This past December when I renewed again in Miami County, it was just an application and a quick glance at the expired CHL; fee was waived because I was a veteran. They did ask if I had brought new pis or if using the old ones was acceptable.
JustaShooter wrote:
You thought correctly. The law regarding renewals does not specify that a passport photo is required. Still, we get reports of some counties requiring one. If someone nearing renewal in one of those counties is willing to fight it, I imagine they would likely be able to get it fixed. But, it's so minor of a thing that so far that hasn't happened.
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
TSiWRX
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by TSiWRX »

Brian D. wrote: Of course those booths are getting hard to find. For that matter, so are shopping malls. :lol:
What's a "photo pooth?"

What's a "mall?"

And using paper currency? Man, that's all so 1999.

:wink: :P :lol:

----

FWIW, WY_Not, Justashooter, and Brian D., I'm also surprised that this particular aspect of the process hasn't become more modernized/streamlined, with digital photography/printing systems now so common....and especially given that they take just such a photo at the time of the application!
Allen - Shaker Heights, Ohio
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Morrow county renewal 'stop in' today.
No appointment necessary.
8:00 AM - 3:00 PM Tuesday-Thursday per their current web page content.
They had a form packet there if you don't bring a form with you.
No one was ahead of me when I arrived around 2 PM.
Once the CHL-tasked deputy took me back inside an office, they took a copy of my expired license from a different county and asked for my driver's license. Took fingerprints and took a new picture there, $50.55 was my cost for the day (license to be mailed when ready) and I was on my way.
I was probably there all of 15/20 minutes.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Aesinsp wrote:$50.55 was my cost for the day
Curious what the $0.55 was?
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
WY_Not
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by WY_Not »

Postage to save Aesinsp a trip to the office?
JustaShooter wrote:
Learn how Project Appleseed is supporting freedom through Marksmanship and Heritage clinics.
Samuel Adams wrote:If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Aesinsp »

Postage - Yes.
WY_Not wrote:Postage to save Aesinsp a trip to the office?
JustaShooter wrote:
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by MikeB »

Renewed on 06/29/2021 at the Franklin County SO. The appointment was made 2 months ago, got there @11:50AM and was back at my car with my new CHL @ 12:10PM. Pleasant experience overall...
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
techmike
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by techmike »

Lucas County, Very smooth with a pleasant surprise. Made appointment, arrived 15 minutes early but had to wait outside the building until called. Once inside all was smooth, people were pleasant and professional. Was asked if I was a veteran, and did I have a VA card. I did and the $50 fee was waived. Appointment on a Tuesday, received new card in the mail the following Friday.
"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
- Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788