Questions on current Hamilton County renewals

If you have questions or know the answers to questions about the application and renewal process this forum is for you. Post your experiences or ask your new applicant questions here.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Questions on current Hamilton County renewals

Post by 147Doc »

My renewal time has rolled around again, so I started looking at options.

The last two times I renewed I went to Clermont County, since downtown Cincy is a traffic snarl at the best of times. Beside having to park and walk who-knows-how-far unarmed.

But since I renewed last we have a new sheriff.

I thought I remembered the previous office holder had an office on the north side of the county? Maybe? But I can't find any reference to it on the HCSO website.

My choices are Hamilton, Clermont, Butler, and Warren county.

Anyone have any feedback in the recent past on those four? Recent, as in the past year or less?
Bearable

Re: Questions on current Hamilton County renewals

Post by Bearable »

I didn't renew mine because all the states I visit are constitutional carry. However, the Hamilton county's sheriff is a ditz and now only allows renewals at the downtown Cincinnati office. From 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. You can park right in front from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. free before you have to feed the meter. Or that is how it use to be. I would make my appointment early and be out in 15 minuets before all the traffic hit.
pniemeyer
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pniemeyer »

I renewed in Warren County last October ( about 6 months ago ).

I scheduled my appointment online.

I filled out my paperwork and took it with me ( even though they already had everything from previous application/ renewal. )

Everything went very smoothly.

In and out in under 15 minutes.

They took a new picture and printed the license on the spot.
NRA Benefactor Member

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
147Doc
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by 147Doc »

pniemeyer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:36 pm I renewed in Warren County last October ( about 6 months ago ).
I scheduled my appointment online.
I filled out my paperwork and took it with me ( even though they already had everything from previous application/ renewal. )
Everything went very smoothly.
In and out in under 15 minutes.
They took a new picture and printed the license on the spot.
Thanks for the Warren county report.
I asked this same Q in the Facebook group, and while I got a couple each Clermont and Butler, I was hoping for at least one Warren.

Looking strictly at a map, Warren would be fastest for me.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I reported my experience with Clermont County on the OFCC Facebook page. Download and fill out an application before going. No appointment needed these days, just :lol: :lol: show up M-F 9am to 4(?)pm. They accept debit/credit cards for payment. If you use cash BRING EXACT CHANGE. The nearest bank is in town nearly two miles away. That's always been their quirk since 2005. They give you a stamped envelope to mail out the license, just fill out the address on it and give it and the pen back. :lol:

Next time I see the Hamilton County Auditor or a Commissioner, I'm reporting that thanks to the HamCo sheriff, Clermont County is taking their lunch money, again. When CHLs began in 2005 it was the same way.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

So, I applied for renewal on April 4, it was issued on April 12 and sent out then or the following day, I guess. Anyway, it's in my possession now. They put it in a paper sleeve, along with a nice, up to date as of mid 2022, FAQ type card provided by Buckeye Firearms Association.

Since I renewed early, I lost 11 days in the new 5 year cycle.

********************************************************************************
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:15 am Since I renewed early, I lost 11 days in the new 5 year cycle.
Unless you are renewing in a county that still holds them for the maximum 45 days allowed by law (and, these days, why would you?) I wouldn't renew early - in fact, I'd renew *late* like I just did to get maximum benefit from the license. The only thing that lapses during the 30-day grace still on the books is the ability to use the CHL in lieu of a NICS check when buying a firearm from a participating FFL. As long as you aren't planning any such purchases, renewing after expiration seems like the way to go.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

JustaShooter wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:34 am
Brian D. wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:15 am Since I renewed early, I lost 11 days in the new 5 year cycle.
Unless you are renewing in a county that still holds them for the maximum 45 days allowed by law (and, these days, why would you?) I wouldn't renew early - in fact, I'd renew *late* like I just did to get maximum benefit from the license. The only thing that lapses during the 30-day grace still on the books is the ability to use the CHL in lieu of a NICS check when buying a firearm from a participating FFL. As long as you aren't planning any such purchases, renewing after expiration seems like the way to go.
Throw all the rational reasons you want at me about this, I'mma still gonna gripe about getting shorted them ten days or whatever from each five year renewal cycle. :lol:

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:49 pm Throw all the rational reasons you want at me about this, I'mma still gonna gripe about getting shorted them ten days or whatever from each five year renewal cycle. :lol:
:lol:
I know, I know - but hopefully it will give other readers something to think about.
NRA Life Member

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Now you went and did it JustaShooter, you brought up a related topic that is bugging me. What seems like (in my limited experience and those of friends) an increasing percentage of gun stores aren't allowing CHL holders to make their purchase without submitting the background check. That's because the ball is being dropped by various government entities. Convictions aren't being entered in a timely fashion, and sheriffs offices aren't keeping up with seizing carry licenses when legally appropriate. Not their highest priority, I guess. Short of staffing. The dog ate the sheriff's homework. Whatever.

But a couple of FFL holders I shop with tell me that sometimes, weeks after a sale goes through, some combination of county cop and federal agent come in and say "Hey, you didn't let Joe Blow take that gun home three months back, did you?" (Good catch there, Team Joint Task Force.) Gun dealers get tired of those visits because some browbeating from the LE types seems to be part of the performance. So, they make all potential buyers go through the "phone in" process. Not a huge deal, except for when NICS is out of commission and the transaction can't be completed.

Makes me shake my head.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

"But wait, there's more!" as the TV pitchmen say. :lol: After I turned in my renewal at the sheriff's office and was waiting to be photographed, a young man stepped to the window and told them that he was turning in his carry license. Reason being, someone had filed an emergency protective order against him. (Hey, I wasn't eavesdropping, it's a small lobby.)

After he left, I went to the counter and asked the deputy what happens if someone doesn't voluntarily turn it in like that. His first response was along the lines of 'How is that any business of yours?' I gave him my Lieutenant Columbo hands raised, head cocked "Well sir, I was just curious" schtick, and then looked downward. (That works well for me sometimes.) He then explained that they'd then have to go find the person, which is often time consuming.

So, maybe that partially explains what I was talking about in my earlier post.

JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Brian D. wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:28 am "But wait, there's more!" as the TV pitchmen say. :lol: After I turned in my renewal at the sheriff's office and was waiting to be photographed, a young man stepped to the window and told them that he was turning in his carry license. Reason being, someone had filed an emergency protective order against him.
I wonder when we might see those laws universally overturned, given the 5th Circuit's recent ruling.
NRA Life Member

Bearable

Post by Bearable »

JustaShooter wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:02 pm
Brian D. wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:28 am "But wait, there's more!" as the TV pitchmen say. :lol: After I turned in my renewal at the sheriff's office and was waiting to be photographed, a young man stepped to the window and told them that he was turning in his carry license. Reason being, someone had filed an emergency protective order against him.
I wonder when we might see those laws universally overturned, given the 5th Circuit's recent ruling.
All of this stuff is going to come crashing down. Here is a write-up by the Ohio Supreme Court - Domestic Violence Firearms Prohibition. Dated February, 2023.
https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/docs/ ... rearms.pdf
No mention of the Bruen case.
The 5th. Circuit ruling lays it out clearly.
https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firear ... pinion.pdf
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Bearable wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:02 pm All of this stuff is going to come crashing down. Here is a write-up by the Ohio Supreme Court - Domestic Violence Firearms Prohibition. Dated February, 2023.
https://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/docs/ ... rearms.pdf
No mention of the Bruen case.
The 5th. Circuit ruling lays it out clearly.
https://assets.nationbuilder.com/firear ... pinion.pdf
Long reads of legalese that sound good. But I don't feel any better after sifting through them.

docachna

Post by docachna »

I LOVE the beginning of the Rahimi 5th Circuit case. I've been waiting for a court to open a case like this.
The question presented in this case is not whether prohibiting the
possession of firearms by someone subject to a domestic violence restraining
order is a laudable policy goal.
The question is whether 18 U.S.C.
§ 922(g)(8), a specific statute that does so, is constitutional under the Second
Amendment of the United States Constitution. In the light of N.Y. State Rifle
& Pistol butt’n, Inc. v. Bruen, 142 S. Ct. 2111 (2022), it is not.
"Guys, we're not here to decide whether this SHOULD be the law. We're here to decide whether the law violates the Constitution. It does. Case closed."
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE