Forums Update

This area is for discussions that do not fit into the formal firearms discussions of the website. Common sense and non-controversial contributions are expected. Certain topics are forbidden. See the forum rules for more details.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

Ok. I think the avatar update has been a hilarious oversight. Those of you who are seeing some avatars but not others either have to completely delete your cached images/downloads in your browser, or you have to wait it out, and eventually your browsers will most likely expire the cache and re-download the images. What started to make this obvious is the images existed on the numerous temporary websites I set up to test the upgrade, and they were showing up on third-party devices like mobile devices and tablets.

Here is what I think happened for the IT folks:

In every upgrade pre-attempt I did I always copied the images folder over before doing the database migrations (there are multiple DB migrations). When I ran the actual production migration I believe I rushed the processes (because the forums were shut off) and I believe I turned the website back on before I moved the /images/ folder over. That allowed a number of people (including me) to "cache" blank images. A number of people likely experienced some images being there because they had previously cached those images before the upgrade and their browser knew those images, but didn't know newer images from people they didn't normally communicate with on the forums.

I went into my firefox and chrome and completely deleted all of my images and download history for the past four weeks and all avatars came back for me, including the silly tiger I uploaded. My "it'll eventually expire" theory may explain why some of you slowly saw the smile emoticons come back after the course of a few days.

If you want an immediate fix, delete your image and/or download cache in your browser.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
ESAFO

Re: Avatar Update

Post by ESAFO »

jgarvas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pmHere is what I think happened for the IT folks
This is were you lost me :lol:
BOB
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:10 pm
jgarvas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:37 pmHere is what I think happened for the IT folks
In English: I didn't copy all the avatars over when I upgraded the forums until I realized I broke avatars. In the hours we were in that condition a bunch of people (me included) visited the forums and their web browser was given blank avatar data and it remembered it. Browsers "remember" things like this on your disk so that web pages load faster if you keep coming back to them. They'll prefer their local copy of something for days or weeks at a time - so even though I fixed it, most of us were still seeing the mistake off our local copy of the broken image. Better? :)
Jeff Garvas, President

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

jgarvas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:40 pm
ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:10 pm
In English: Better? :)
UUUUUUUM sure LOL
Thanks for all your time invested Jeff, have you come up with anything for not getting email notifications?
BOB
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:54 pm UUUUUUUM sure LOL
Thanks for all your time invested Jeff, have you come up with anything for not getting email notifications?
Anytime. And no, I'm getting closer but email is a real challenge in today's world of spamming. I am about halfway there. The email server is working (or so i think it is) but the forums software is challenged inserting emails into it for some reason. It's next on the list.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

jgarvas wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:53 pm
ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:54 pm UUUUUUUM sure LOL
Anytime. And no, I'm getting closer but email is a real challenge in today's world of spamming. I am about halfway there. The email server is working (or so i think it is) but the forums software is challenged inserting emails into it for some reason. It's next on the list.
Gotcha no worries I've grown accustomed to logging in to see threads I'm subscribed to.
Thanks again.
BOB
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Forums Update

Post by JustaShooter »

ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:33 pm
JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:36 pm
ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:29 pm
Dave there is a hammer looking icon on bottom right, click on that & it gives a lock option.
While that will lock it, it won't mark it as "Sold". Hopefully, we can get that as an option as well.
Hopefully with the newer platform you would think we would have better/more options overall.
We may, much of what is different are almost certainly options that were set long ago and customizations added along the way. Options likely still exist and can be found and tweaked, customizations - like the seller feedback - may not be, depending on whether or not the author of the customization has kept it up to date with the current forum software version.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:08 pm
ESAFO wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 1:33 pm
JustaShooter wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:36 pm
While that will lock it, it won't mark it as "Sold". Hopefully, we can get that as an option as well.
Hopefully with the newer platform you would think we would have better/more options overall.
We may, much of what is different are almost certainly options that were set long ago and customizations added along the way. Options likely still exist and can be found and tweaked, customizations - like the seller feedback - may not be, depending on whether or not the author of the customization has kept it up to date with the current forum software version.
Yeah sounds like alot of time trial & error, but the right crew is on it for sure to do the sampling of the goods. 8)
BOB
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

Jim-in-Toledo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:57 am I am seeing avatars for most users now on desktop, and android.
Mine are now working as well.
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

schmieg wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:36 pm
Jim-in-Toledo wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:57 am I am seeing avatars for most users now on desktop, and android.
Mine are now working as well.
Likewise i went in & cleared the cache on my tablet & boom there it is, you got another ATTA BOY for the week Jeff. :lol:
BOB
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

I've been trying to get email to work. This is a post just to see if it'll kick off some email notifications to people watching this thread or not.
Jeff Garvas, President

Is that you?

WhyNot
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by WhyNot »

YES!

EMail notices of threads are coming through :D
Acquisitions thus far:

-Slingshot
-Butter knife
-Soda straw and peas
-Sharpened pencil
-Newspaper roll
--water balloon (*diversionary*)

Yeah, I'm that good
Jim-in-Toledo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Jim-in-Toledo »

No, I did not get an email notification for this.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon
I am the expert on my opinion.
And no one else's.
Chuck
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by Chuck »

Negative Jeff
No email here
Ain't activism fun?

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " - George Washington

"I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
And because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the something I can do.
What I can do, I should do. And what I should do, by the grace of GOD, I will do."
- Edward Everett Hale (descendant of Nathan Hale)
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

NIIIIIIIICE yes I got a email notification
BOB