Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for robber

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

docachna

Re: Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for ro

Post by docachna »

As legalinsurrection.com so aptly points out, this may finally be at the end of the road for Oberlin in their attempts to avoid the jury's findings.

I'm no expert in U.S. Supreme Court litigation, but I have to think Oberlin would have a VERY tough row to hoe to convince the Supremes to hear any matter they may bring.

I would suppose this means the bonding company now needs to pony up, but desperate lawyers take desperate measures.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/08/g ... ge-appeal/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
FormerNavy

Post by FormerNavy »

docachna wrote:As legalinsurrection.com so aptly points out, this may finally be at the end of the road for Oberlin in their attempts to avoid the jury's findings.

I'm no expert in U.S. Supreme Court litigation, but I have to think Oberlin would have a VERY tough row to hoe to convince the Supremes to hear any matter they may bring.

I would suppose this means the bonding company now needs to pony up, but desperate lawyers take desperate measures.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/08/g ... ge-appeal/

The US Supreme Court only takes up a small fraction (~80 of the 7,000 - 8,000 presented) of the cases presented to it - if Oberlin could even find a constitutional question here since this was state court. I'd say they better start getting their checkbook out because they are likely toast at this point.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

At this point when they're ordered to pay, they should do so or face the possibility of the plaintiffs seizing their assets by any means necessary.
Don't recall where it was, but a guy won a very expensive suit against some municipal police department. The city said they couldn't pay, so a judge ordered the town's buildings, vehicles, etc. to be given to the plaintiff, immediately.

The guy sold the stuff and gave away most of the money. He had said all along, it was the principle of the matter, not the cash. The town was officially disbanded or erased or whatever the term is.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

It's fitting to remember that the baker was trying to stop a thief, and the defamation flowed from this act.

Such an own goal is a lovely natural consequence of mass formation psychosis.

HIS truth is marching on. Glory. Glory. Hallelujah.
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

Republicans.Hate.You. See2020.

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
docachna

Post by docachna »

Gibson's is now taking to the media, trying to shame Oberlin into stepping up to the plate and paying up.

https://legalinsurrection.com/2022/09/w ... -oberlin/

Can't decide whether this will be worthwhile or counterproductive.

Even if Oberlin intends to fold (which I doubt), they DO have to let all the paperwork work its way to the right places. Probably a few weeks, minimum. In the meantime, Gibson's sells merch on their website. Buy a ballcap. Or if you're in the neighborhood, go buy 6 dozen doughnuts and give them to your local high school band for snacks.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
EricTheBald

Post by EricTheBald »

The Ohio Supreme Court has rejected a request to hear Oberlin College’s appeal of a verdict against the private, Ohio school — meaning the family-owned bakery that won a defamation lawsuit against the institution can finally collect on the multi-million judgment it was awarded by a jury in 2019.
https://www.thecollegefix.com/defamed-b ... es-appeal/
-

I identify as Supreme Emperor of the 20 known Universes.
My preferred pronouns are: My Lord and Your Grace.

-
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
cpg
OFCC Member
OFCC Member

Post by cpg »

About time!
People say firearm owners are compensating for something.
I am compensating for being smaller and weaker than most criminals.
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/e717676d-d ... 11aee75bea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“It’s not that we don’t have enough scoundrels to curse; it’s that we don’t have enough good men to curse them.”–G.K. Chesterton-Illustrated London News, 3-14-1908

"Avarice, ambition, revenge and licentiousness would break the strongest cords of our Constitution, as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." John Adams to Mass Militia 10-11-1798
steves 50de
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by steves 50de »

cpg wrote:About time!
NOW with cash in pocket, file another lawsuit because you can. :mrgreen: :lol:
Black Rifles Matter
docachna

Post by docachna »

steves 50de wrote:
cpg wrote:About time!
NOW with cash in pocket, file another lawsuit because you can. :mrgreen: :lol:
Nahh........they already forked over probably 40% of 36.5M to their lawyers for this battle.

Gotta wonder what that worked out to on an hourly basis, given how long it took.....
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
bignflnut
Volunteer
Volunteer

Post by bignflnut »

We have confirmed with the Gibsons’ lawyers that the Gibsons have, indeed, finally been paid. The money was wired recently.

That payment, while large, hardly compensates the family for the pain they went through for over 6 years, and the loss of David and Grandpa after the verdict but before the appeals were resolved.

docachna

Re: Oberlin slapped for $11 mil for playing race card for robber

Post by docachna »

The gift that keeps on giving.

Now Oberlin has filed a Declaratory Judgment action, demanding that their insurance companies cover the judgment, as well as defense costs.

Even people who don't like insurance companies will be rooting for 'em in this one.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/oberlin- ... sed-bakery
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE