Magnetic Mount Handgun Holder

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

NeverAlone

Magnetic Mount Handgun Holder

Post by NeverAlone »

Are they legal to install and use for carrying your handgun in a vehicle in Ohio? Would a person be charged with improper handling if stopped?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Magnetic Mount Handgun Holder

Post by JustaShooter »

Ohio law does not require you to transport your handgun in any specific way, so a magnetic gum mount is legal.

However, I'll say in my opinion they are sub-optimal - I don't believe they are secure enough to prevent the handgun from becoming a loaded projectile in a crash, and repeated use would tend to magnetize internal parts which would attract the ever-present magnetic dust that is prevalent throughout the state, causing premature wear on those parts.

The best way to carry is holstered on your person. You can do so in a way that is both comfortable and easily accessible, though it may require some trial and error.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
tracker1

Post by tracker1 »

Many of my guns around the house are hidden and held in place with magnets and never had the magnetic dust thing or even ever heard of it.
I think I a car I would rather secure the gun in a holster but can see where a guns with the right could be better for instant access. As far as flying around in a wreck that wouldn’t be a concern of mine, I always (and most people do) have things in my car.
Another option is to have both which I think makes the most sense, and just put the gun on the magnet in areas where car jacking sand robberies are a possibility and use the holster any other time. My gun is out and in my hand at the bank drive up ATM.
Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
Bigger Bullets Leave Bigger Marks
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

Just pointing out the risks - a handgun would be the heaviest loose object in my or my wife's cars, with the sharpest edges - and of course, the only one that is loaded. To me, that is an additional and unnecessary risk.

As to the magnetic (I guess technically it isn't magnetic, but ferrous) dust and grit, the magnetic magazine holder I use only accumulates a noticeable amount of the stuff in certain circumstances and activities, primarily training and other activities where I tend to get a bit dirty. The rest of the time there is very little - but still some - when I do monthly cleanings of my carry gear. So if your lifestyle and routine doesn't involve those, you may not experience the issue to a noticeable degree.

And again, it's just my opinion that they are sub-optimal and that there are much better alternatives that don't carry the same risks and issues. Your mileage, and opinion, may vary.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!