Confused About Concealed Carry

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

WeinerDog

Confused About Concealed Carry

Post by WeinerDog »

I need clarification on what the new law determines about a gun in your car if you don’t have a CHL. We used to have to be concerned about an unlicensed friend or relative being found by LEO with a gun inside the vehicle, for whatever reason, while we were inside a place of business. I assume that it is no longer a problem since one doesn’t need a license to carry concealed. I tried to get a logical answer from a police friend right before the law changed but he just babbled something about mishandling and walked away.
I understand that the unlicensed friend or relative would have to be legally allowed to possess a gun in every way.
Bearable

Re: Confused About Concealed Carry

Post by Bearable »

Generally, if the only person(s) in the car is NOT allowed to possess a handgun then the law would be violated. The gun could be in the car if it is properly locked-up.
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Re: Confused About Concealed Carry

Post by JustaShooter »

For a person without a license to legally be able to have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle they must be legally able to possess a firearm *and* have nothing in their background that would keep them from being able to get a license if they applied for one.

There are several items that can keep you from getting your license that do not keep you from possessing a firearm: misdemeanor offenses of violence (assault, etc.) misdemeanor drug offenses greater than a Minor Misdemeanor, and a few others.

So it is more than just being able to possess a firearm, though that is a big factor obviously.
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!