West Carrollton school district is going to allow armed staf

A place for sharing news stories related to armed citizens, law enforcement & 2A/CCW topics.

Please note that when linking to an article you must cite the source URL and provide no more than a brief preview of the article to ensure fair-use standards are met.

NO DOCUMENT DUMPING.

Posts in violation of these rules are subject to immediate deletion without warning.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

M-Quigley

West Carrollton school district is going to allow armed staf

Post by M-Quigley »

Sort of anyway. The guns will be in a locked box somewhere in the school, hopefully where the staff member can get to it and get it out in time before the mass shooter shoots them also. :(

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/ar ... onse-team/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aesinsp
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: West Carrollton school district is going to allow armed

Post by Aesinsp »

M-Quigley wrote:Sort of anyway. The guns will be in a locked box somewhere in the school, hopefully where the staff member can get to it and get it out in time before the mass shooter shoots them also. :(

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/ar ... onse-team/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well.. that’s sort of a helpful solution, certainly not ideal.. smh.
"If you are not prepared to use force to defend civilization, then be prepared to accept barbarism."
Thomas Sowell, Knowledge And Decisions

Never forget and Never again, Molon labe
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

You know that expression about "Don't let perfect, be the enemy of good"? This plan sounds closer to poor than good. It strikes me as the result of too much compromise.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:You know that expression about "Don't let perfect, be the enemy of good"? This plan sounds closer to poor than good. It strikes me as the result of too much compromise.
Speaking of compromise, it kind of reminds me of a guy I know who asked permission from his church to carry concealed and he was told yes but only if he carried chamber empty. A lot of gun people think chamber empty carry is a very bad idea, (with one person claiming to me it's just as bad as not carrying a gun at all or leaving it at home :roll: ) but it's a light years better compromise than having a gun locked up somewhere, possibly a hundred yards away, when you have a mass shooter roaming a school. It still might get you killed in certain circumstances but the chances of getting the gun ready are much greater than traveling lord knows how much distance to get it, and with the exact same level of safety if you're worried about an unintended discharge.

In fact, decades ago in Israel there were 3 PLO terrorists who attacked a school with real AK-47's, killed a security guard at the door and entered. Two people inside had handguns handy but chamber empty. They were able to chamber a round and fight back, repelling the assault.
schmieg
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by schmieg »

M-Quigley wrote:
Brian D. wrote:You know that expression about "Don't let perfect, be the enemy of good"? This plan sounds closer to poor than good. It strikes me as the result of too much compromise.
Speaking of compromise, it kind of reminds me of a guy I know who asked permission from his church to carry concealed and he was told yes but only if he carried chamber empty. A lot of gun people think chamber empty carry is a very bad idea, (with one person claiming to me it's just as bad as not carrying a gun at all or leaving it at home :roll: ) but it's a light years better compromise than having a gun locked up somewhere, possibly a hundred yards away, when you have a mass shooter roaming a school. It still might get you killed in certain circumstances but the chances of getting the gun ready are much greater than traveling lord knows how much distance to get it, and with the exact same level of safety if you're worried about an unintended discharge.

In fact, decades ago in Israel there were 3 PLO terrorists who attacked a school with real AK-47's, killed a security guard at the door and entered. Two people inside had handguns handy but chamber empty. They were able to chamber a round and fight back, repelling the assault.
Wonder if a revolver with the chamber under the hammer being empty counts...
-- Mike

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

The thing about "Israeli carry" is that when Israelis move here and become citizens, if they also stay involved with shooting, they become advocates of chmber-loaded carry. Admittedly that's based on a sample size group of six or seven that I've met through the years. But it was unanimous.

Sorry about the thread drift, let's get back to arming school staff.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

schmieg wrote:
M-Quigley wrote:

Wonder if a revolver with the chamber under the hammer being empty counts...
Counts with whom? If Israel does anyone even carry revolvers over there?

As far as the guy I know who carries at church, The church leader initially didn't want anyone who wasn't a cop carrying at all, but after a mass shooting at a church he was getting multiple requests. He checked with a LEO (because after all only LEO's are firearms experts and their opinion counts more than you mere "civilians" :roll: ) who told him if you drop a semi auto or negligently put your finger on the trigger, the pull weight is so light that a negligent discharge might occur with a semi auto. :roll: When asked about revolvers he said they were "drop safe" for "civilians" :roll: and very unlikely to accidentally pull the trigger due to the long heavy pull. Of course this LEO completely forgot about DA semi auto's :roll: So because the church policy is based on this particular LEO's opinion when my friend goes to church with his family he carries 2 handguns, a revolver and a semi auto chamber empty. If he can safely chamber a round he will but if it's a situation where he can't safely chamber a round he can always start with the revolver.
M-Quigley

Post by M-Quigley »

Brian D. wrote:The thing about "Israeli carry" is that when Israelis move here and become citizens, if they also stay involved with shooting, they become advocates of chmber-loaded carry. Admittedly that's based on a sample size group of six or seven that I've met through the years. But it was unanimous.

Sorry about the thread drift, let's get back to arming school staff.
Actually the subject of chamber empty carry might relate to this topic, depending on why the school didn't allow the staff to actually carry. If it was due to concerns about a negligent discharge allowing a teacher to carry chamber empty might be safer than going down a hallway to get a gun in the middle of a mass shooting. I haven't yet found out the reason why they're doing it this way so far.