My CC expired in Feb

This forum is for discussion of general issues regarding Concealed Carry in your everyday life. This forum is not intended to be political or for discussing legislation.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

slidelock

My CC expired in Feb

Post by slidelock »

My CC expired in Feb, can I renew or do I have to take the class again?
MikeB
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: My CC expired in Feb

Post by MikeB »

slidelock wrote:My CC expired in Feb, can I renew or do I have to take the class again?
You do not need to take the class again. Your old CHL is all they will need.
"Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty."
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

Thanks!
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I called Ross County Sheriff office and was told I had to take the online class from State Oh. I wonder what would happen if I made an appt and showed up without the test?
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

The sheriff misspoke or misunderstood Ohio law. Assuming your CC was an Ohio CHL (you don't specify,), personally I would show up with my expired CHL, completed application, renewal fee (check with them to see what methods of payment they accept) and a printed copy of ORC 2923.125 (F), and highlight the sections like I've done below:
(F)(1)(a) Except as provided in division (F)(1)(b) of this section, a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section may do so at any time before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county, or in the case of an applicant who resides in another state with the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license an application for renewal of the license obtained pursuant to division (D) of this section, a certification by the applicant that, subsequent to the issuance of the license, the applicant has reread the pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission pursuant to section 109.731 of the Revised Code that reviews firearms, dispute resolution, and use of deadly force matters, and a nonrefundable license renewal fee in an amount determined pursuant to division (F)(4) of this section unless the fee is waived.

(b) A person on active duty in the armed forces of the United States or in service with the peace corps, volunteers in service to America, or the foreign service of the United States is exempt from the license requirements of this section for the period of the person's active duty or service and for six months thereafter, provided the person was a licensee under this section at the time the person commenced the person's active duty or service or had obtained a license while on active duty or service. The spouse or a dependent of any such person on active duty or in service also is exempt from the license requirements of this section for the period of the person's active duty or service and for six months thereafter, provided the spouse or dependent was a licensee under this section at the time the person commenced the active duty or service or had obtained a license while the person was on active duty or service, and provided further that the person's active duty or service resulted in the spouse or dependent relocating outside of this state during the period of the active duty or service. This division does not prevent such a person or the person's spouse or dependent from making an application for the renewal of a concealed handgun license during the period of the person's active duty or service.

(2) A sheriff shall accept a completed renewal application, the license renewal fee, and the information specified in division (F)(1) of this section at the times and in the manners described in division (I) of this section. Upon receipt of a completed renewal application, of certification that the applicant has reread the specified pamphlet prepared by the Ohio peace officer training commission, and of a license renewal fee unless the fee is waived, a sheriff, in the manner specified in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct or cause to be conducted the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code. The sheriff shall renew the license if the sheriff determines that the applicant continues to satisfy the requirements described in division (D)(1) of this section, except that the applicant is not required to meet the requirements of division (D)(1)(l) of this section. A renewed license shall expire five years after the date of issuance. A renewed license is subject to division (E) of this section and sections 2923.126 and 2923.128 of the Revised Code. A sheriff shall comply with divisions (D)(2) and (3) of this section when the circumstances described in those divisions apply to a requested license renewal. If a sheriff denies the renewal of a concealed handgun license, the applicant may appeal the denial, or challenge the criminal record check results that were the basis of the denial if applicable, in the same manner as specified in division (D)(2)(b) of this section and in section 2923.127 of the Revised Code, regarding the denial of a license under this section.

(3) A renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section shall only require the licensee to list on the application form information and matters occurring since the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section. A sheriff conducting the criminal records check and the incompetency records check described in section 311.41 of the Revised Code shall conduct the check only from the date of the licensee's last application for a license pursuant to division (B) or (F) of this section through the date of the renewal application submitted pursuant to division (F) of this section.

(4) An applicant for a renewal concealed handgun license under this section shall submit to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or to the sheriff of any county adjacent to the county in which the applicant resides, or in the case of an applicant who resides in another state to the sheriff of the county that issued the applicant's previous concealed handgun license, a nonrefundable license fee as described in either of the following:

(a) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for five or more years, a fee of fifty dollars;

(b) For an applicant who has been a resident of this state for less than five years or who is not a resident of this state but who is employed in this state, a fee of fifty dollars plus the actual cost of having a background check performed by the federal bureau of investigation.

(5) The concealed handgun license of a licensee who is no longer a resident of this state or no longer employed in this state, as applicable, is valid until the date of expiration on the license, and the licensee is prohibited from renewing the concealed handgun license.
https://codes.ohio.gov/ohio-revised-cod ... n-2923.125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
slidelock

Post by slidelock »

I shall do that. Thanks
ashtabula

Post by ashtabula »

Just a quick question, I was always of the belief that adjoining was touching or bordering and adjacent was for
that which is not separated by the same. Have these two words morphed into having the same meaning, or was
I always thinking wrong? Where is Alan M when you need him?
ESAFO

Post by ESAFO »

I just renewed mine a couple of weeks ago online, no muss no fuss filed out info answered some questions.
At the end you pick the day & time slot you want to go pick up do finger prints & to say cheese.
In & out Mahoning Cnty under 10min.
BOB
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

ashtabula wrote:Just a quick question, I was always of the belief that adjoining was touching or bordering and adjacent was for
that which is not separated by the same. Have these two words morphed into having the same meaning, or was
I always thinking wrong? Where is Alan M when you need him?
In the context of the licensing laws, I'd say adjoining and adjacent mean the same thing. You can use your county of residence, or any county it shares a border with. Or is next to. Or butts up against. Or is adjacent to. Or is adjoining with.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
JonasM

Post by JonasM »

OK, the nitpicker in me noticed that it's apparently not permitted to renew your license ON the day of expiration:

"a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section may do so at any time before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county"

So before, or after, not on the day.

Damn politicians/lawyers.......
JustaShooter
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by JustaShooter »

JonasM wrote:OK, the nitpicker in me noticed that it's apparently not permitted to renew your license ON the day of expiration:

"a licensee who wishes to renew a concealed handgun license issued under this section may do so at any time before the expiration date of the license or at any time after the expiration date of the license by filing with the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides or with the sheriff of an adjacent county"

So before, or after, not on the day.

Damn politicians/lawyers.......
Oh now *that* is funny!
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Want to become more active with OFCC and help fight for your rights? Click Here!
3FULLMAGS+1
OFCC Coordinator
OFCC Coordinator

Post by 3FULLMAGS+1 »

slidelock wrote:I called Ross County Sheriff office and was told I had to take the online class from State Oh. I wonder what would happen if I made an appt and showed up without the test?
Do you know who you spoke with ?
Darrel
They say the best "Home Remedy" for "tyranny" is....."LEAD POISONING".