Your experience with the Glock model 48?

This is where you can talk about all equipment issues; firearms, ammunition, magazines, care & repair, holsters, gun cases, etc.

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

Brian D.

Your experience with the Glock model 48?

Post by Brian D. »

Have a chance to buy a used one on the cheap. Comes with Ameriglo night sights, saving me another $100 or so. Current owner says it's just to small for his hands, which to me is a valid point of view.

Everything I've read says they run fine like most every other Glock model, but if anyone here has hands on experience, I'd sure like to read it.

This isn't a gun I need or even have at the top of my want list. Right now I'm packing a Sign P365, which fits the

compact, single-stack, 9mm semiautmatic, (nice alliteration eh?)

category pretty well. :lol:

Yeah I know the 365 Isn't quite single stack but I was on a roll.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
Whirlwind06
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: Your experience with the Glock model 48?

Post by Whirlwind06 »

I had one for a while, shot fine carried fine. Basically, a slim Glock 19, since I already have a G19 and I had no problems carrying that, it went down the road.
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

Definitely a nice Glock. I especially like the ability to use a Shield Arms S15 magazine (with 15 round capacity) in it.

Since it's slimmer than the G19, it conceals better. Not unlike how the slim 1911s conceal.

Edit: if the grip is a bit too small, the Hogue grip fits over the 43/48 line and solves the problem. And you'll still have the narrow slide.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

pk47 wrote:Definitely a nice Glock. I especially like the ability to use a Shield Arms S15 magazine (with 15 round capacity) in it.
That option is part of what intrigues me. And also makes me realize buying those would increase my investment costs. :wink:

Another friend has a G48 and I should test drive the dang thing this weekend at the range. Maybe side by side on the shot timer against my P365.

********************************************************************************
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Perfectly fine when stock. Have witnessed enough errors in installation of internal components from the "buy skill" crowd to be weary of modifying internals of Glocks (especially the current models, they're so much better than previous generations).

On the S15 mags, it seems to be hit and miss, but you HAVE to install the corresponding metal mag catch to keep the magazine reliably in the gun. I've seen 3 magazines go from completely reliable to unreliable on the range (never abused or dropped on hard surfaces), and enough reports of the baseplates failing to be weary of them. With few exceptions, I won't use anything but OEM magazines for a firearm for that reason.

I personally would stick with the P365, and contact Boresight solutions regarding one of their having one of their grips setup to fit your hands instead. They're pretty good at helping people get the right product, and will modify the product post-shipment to work better for you if needed.

https://www.boresightsolutions.com/prod ... disclaimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://shootingfordollars.org Where Firearms and Finances meet.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

jeep45238 wrote:
I personally would stick with the P365, and contact Boresight solutions regarding one of their having one of their grips setup to fit your hands instead. They're pretty good at helping people get the right product, and will modify the product post-shipment to work better for you if needed.

https://www.boresightsolutions.com/prod ... disclaimer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. But I'm not putting any more money into the P365. Buying ten or so extra OEM magazines for it collapsed my wallet just about flat. Sig thinks a lot of themselves, apparently. Plus, a flat trigger. Given what they charge for the trigger, spring, and pin, it should have included an employee to install it for me.

Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Keep up the replies if you like, folks. Always appreciated. But after a satisfying range trip with the P365 yesterday, The Glock 48 is fading from my mind's eye. I'll still try one out soon.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Brian D. wrote:
jeep45238 wrote:

Thanks. But I'm not putting any more money into the P365. Buying ten or so extra OEM magazines for it collapsed my wallet just about flat. Sig thinks a lot of themselves, apparently. Plus, a flat trigger. Given what they charge for the trigger, spring, and pin, it should have included an employee to install it for me.

Agreed. Sig mag prices make Hk mags look cheap :lol:

The last time I talked to a rep, they were saying P320 mags would be cheaper *soon*, but I'll believe it when I see the prices are within 20% of a glock mag.

You can't truly call yourself peaceful unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.
-Important distinction
pk47
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by pk47 »

jeep45238 wrote:Perfectly fine when stock. Have witnessed enough errors in installation of internal components from the "buy skill" crowd to be weary of modifying internals of Glocks (especially the current models, they're so much better than previous generations).

On the S15 mags, it seems to be hit and miss, but you HAVE to install the corresponding metal mag catch to keep the magazine reliably in the gun. I've seen 3 magazines go from completely reliable to unreliable on the range (never abused or dropped on hard surfaces), and enough reports of the baseplates failing to be weary of them. With few exceptions, I won't use anything but OEM magazines for a firearm for that reason.
There were problems with the first generation S15 mags. I reported them to the company and they shipped new magazine internals - a change in follower shape and a better spring. They must have had reports from others in that early period. I have six S15 mags now, and they've all gone through extensive testing on range (lots of rounds and $$$ ...). Never an issue with them and I carry them confidently after my testing.

Ditto on the metal mag catch - it's needed.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

The funny thing about life (in general), is everything works right up until it doesn't.

J Murphy from FPF training was running them until lunch time, at which point he started having malfunctions. We discussed it, and he had 100% reliability up until then.

If the draw is a 15 round G 19 sized gun, I'd run a G19. If the draw is thin and near the same capacity, I'd run the P365.

-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

I tried out my friend's G48 on Sunday. Liked it well enough to buy the used one I'd seen a week earlier. After, of course, checking with the shop to make sure it was still there. Nice Ameriglo night sights on it, helped make the decision easier. Saved me $$ or even $$$. Same shop had a decent kydex IWB rig. Would have been thrilled if it came with ten magazines too, but such is life.

Heading to the indoor range in just a little while.

jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Brian D. wrote:I tried out my friend's G48 on Sunday. Liked it well enough to buy the used one I'd seen a week earlier. After, of course, checking with the shop to make sure it was still there. Nice Ameriglo night sights on it, helped make the decision easier. Saved me $$ or even $$$. Same shop had a decent kydex IWB rig. Would have been thrilled if it came with ten magazines too, but such is life.

Heading to the indoor range in just a little while.

Any update on your Sig vs Glock debate chronicled here?

-Important distinction
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Well, the Sig 365 obviously conceals better than the Glock 48. Rarely do I pocket carry rather than on a belt, but that wouldn't be possible with the G48. The Glock is easier for me to shoot at speed. Relatively skinny grip frame on it gives me better trigger reach than say a model 19.

I'm satisfied with both. Not going to the Shield Arms 15 round mags and metal mag release for the G48 unless I find a smoking deal on them at a show or something. Ten plus one capacity, with another magazine or two on the belt doesn't give me the yips or anything. Just feel a little less warm and fuzzy than when toting a double stack.