CANCELLED AS OF 8/8: PITP 2022 Sunday, August 14th.

Want to talk about IDPA, IPSC, or other competition events you are involved in
or are interested in participating in? Want to know if anyone is going to a local gun show? Wondering when the next OFCC event is? All that and more is in this section!

Moderators: Chuck, Mustang380gal, Coordinators, Moderators

jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Re: PITP 2022 Sunday, August 14th.

Post by jgarvas »

Effective 8/8 The Picnic is Unfortunately Cancelled

I am sorry to announce that we have made a decision to cancel this Weeknd’s picnic for a number of reasons that include too few people have signed up in the very short notice we had to work with, and a number of speakers we had anticipated might come speak have either declined our invitation or not responded to our requests. Those of you who paid online will have a refund issued to your credit card.

For those interested in the backstory of what transpired here allow me to explain.

OFCC’s picnic is always spearheaded by someone who delegates tasks out to others and does some themselves. This year the person running the picnic had an unexpected emergency in their family and the picnic simply didn’t evolve as we normally do. The decision to cancel was communicated to our caterer and the public — but a week later we banded together and tried to pull it off with some volunteers from the FB Group and the forums.

We thought we had some speakers who would attend, but we found that our caterer took our cancellation as an opportunity to book something very important and we lost him. This delayed us a week in announcing our plans to hold the picnic while we found and agreed upon some terms with a new caterer. As the week progressed at least one candidate for office we thought might speak wouldn’t respond to us, only to finally come back and decline our invite. Others we had thought were possible simply have not gotten back to us.

The final straw that broke the camels back was the number of people who committed to attend by purchasing a ticket online — despite the fact that we made some pretty aggressive email campaign efforts and even purchase some targeted advertising on Facebook the number of registered participants was not enough to ask a caterer to come cook lunch. As much as it pains us to write this it has become apparent that the right thing to do is to cancel the picnic.

We do have plans to hold our 2022 Fun ’n Gun this fall in Clinton County. Please keep an eye out for that announcement.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Re: CANCELLED AS OF 8/8: PITP 2022 Sunday, August 14th.

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Bummer…I guess the Remington 870 I bought for a door price $479 will have to be sold…I already have a 870…
Life is full of God given coincidences..
A MEMBER OF OFCC SINCE 2004...
Thanks for shopping at Charmin Carmens
Tourist
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by Tourist »

It is a shame. Oh well there is always next year!
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Tourist wrote:It is a shame. Oh well there is always next year!
I'm 79. There aren't to many next years left for me.
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

Good thing I hadn't yet spent any money on "Hello my name is.." stickers.
Quit worrying, hide your gun well, shut up, and CARRY that handgun!

********************************************************************************
1911 and Browning Hi Power Enthusianado.
kcclark
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by kcclark »

I hope the lack of registrations was due to the last minute planning and not the members getting complacent.
jgarvas
OFCC Director
OFCC Director

Post by jgarvas »

kcclark wrote:I hope the lack of registrations was due to the last minute planning and not the members getting complacent.
I think there is a little of both of this going on. Had we been advertising this picnic for the past three months people would have slowly trickled in and signed up. Every year there are hold outs until the very last minute for whatever reason (analyzing other commitments, watching the weather, learning of it last minute from others going).

The responses we're getting in Facebook reveal another angle I had not considered. Despite us announcing our event as an event in Facebook, announcing it long ago, canceling it, and then re-opening it, a handful of people posted on Facebook that they didn't even know the picnic was happening because Facebook never let them see those posts. Some were completely unaware we had "reopened" the picnic but somehow they got the post that said we cancelled it. Social Media censorship likely played a role in last minute turnout numbers being quite low despite us even paying for an ad and targeting "Members of your group and people like them"

But gun owner apathy is a reality. When we started doing this in 1999 you had two types of people at the gun shows: Those who ran up to sign your petition and those who scoffed at us and said it would never happen. You can imagine which group donated $20.

Fast forward to 2004 and we'd put our signs up at gun shows and people would wave at us and say they already have their CHL they don't need our training. They though we were a bunch of instructors trying to sell training at gun shows. Apathy had set in quite hard here. You can see it when people join the forums and don't realize there is a membership organization behind it paying the bills to keep the website on, or when people join our various facebook groups and don't realize we are funded by membership dues and fundraisers and just want to post gun memes on our facebook group and move on.

Fast forward to constitutional carry and all of the other achievements we've accomplished in the last twenty-three years and there are people out there who simply don't see a need to support or fund efforts to defend the rights we've burned blood sweat and tears to accomplish.
Jeff Garvas, President
Ohioans For Concealed Carry

Contrary to a popular belief when I brag about OFCC accomplishments I'm not looking for your thank you or personal recognition. I'd much prefer you send me an email telling me when you are going to get involved in doing what I've been doing since 1999. We are only as effective as we make ourselves. We need the next generation of OFCC to step to the plate.

Is that you?

To Contact Me: Use This Form and pick my name.
burgman2170

Post by burgman2170 »

So we have already planned to attend this event glad I looked at this forum today. So the event is officially cancelled this Sunday correct? I'm looking at canceled as of 8/8 just want to make sure before we ride up from Cincinnati
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Maybe you should click on more often. Just saying.
burgman2170

Post by burgman2170 »

Thing is i had two more coming with us that do not belong. I don't look at my computer every day but it's okay looks like rain anyway and we have another event to go to that day.

Maybe next year
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

It was so great seeing everyone again! The food was great, the speakers were scintillating, and winning that Barrett .50 caliber rifle in the door prize drawing was the icing on the cake! Thanks for donating it, Carmen Fovozzo!

********************************************************************************
carmen fovozzo
OFCC Patron Member
OFCC Patron Member

Post by carmen fovozzo »

Brian D. wrote:It was so great seeing everyone again! The food was great, the speakers were scintillating, and winning that Barrett .50 caliber rifle in the door prize drawing was the icing on the cake! Thanks for donating it, Carmen Fovozzo!
BRIAN. You need help.. :D
Brian D.

Post by Brian D. »

carmen fovozzo wrote:
Brian D. wrote:It was so great seeing everyone again! The food was great, the speakers were scintillating, and winning that Barrett .50 caliber rifle in the door prize drawing was the icing on the cake! Thanks for donating it, Carmen Fovozzo!
BRIAN. You need help.. :D
I'll be fine. Heading for walleye country in a few days. Always a relaxing time on Sandusky Bay.